Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Electric Exhaust Cutouts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Jun 24, 2019.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Considering putting some electric exhaust cutouts on a truck I'm currently building and was wondering if anyone has used any on their builds. I'd like to know what brand and whether or not they leaked or worked as advertised. Don't want to spend money on something thats annoying and has to be removed later...but if they don't leak I'd like to install some.

2. Had one installed on an O/T vw
    Worked well
    It did seize after a few years, I didn’t use it all that much.
    This was 10 plus years ago so quality might be better now.

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I put some on three different chevys I built for a guy but he carried them in so I don't know what brand they were. No leaks at the time and I never heard negative comments about them. They were stainless thoe and not cheap.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are two basic types I tried during a passing fancy with these things. One is a gate that opens on a center pivot and the other is a plate that slides open and they claim it cleans the gate every time they are used. The former I bought form Jeggs and I think it was their in house product and it worked well for a couple of years but they carbon up and stop closing completely. I replaced them with the latter design mentioned, I think the brand was Doug's, much better until I had a head gasket so south and warp the shit out of the gate on one side. I took them off last year and glad I did. Not my bailiwick.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If your engine sounds good with open pipes, use them. My GM V-6 sounds like a tractor without a muffler, so it was a not a good idea. Other V6's sound really good, however, with open pipes. Gary

6. Hardrider77

Hardrider77

I use one's I purchase of Ebay for like $375 for duals. Name brand Badlands. I like them cuz you can hold button for whatever length of time you want to "tune " the volume you want. Doesn't have to be JUST closed or wide open

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Someone I know (a Poser) had electric cut outs installed on his non race car. I swear the noise through his mufflers are louder then his open cut outs. I even asked him once if his cut outs were open because his car was that quiet. Could it be because the exhaust path of least resistance is through the mufflers or the improper installation of the cut outs?

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Catalytic converters are 'cut-out' unfriendly.

9. Fordors

Fordors

I never saw the point of loud pipes, I prefer the “Walk softly and carry a big stick” concept.

Deuces, samurai mike and robracer1 like this.
  10. Pgaines

Pgaines

I installed them on my 53 F100. I bought them from Kindig in Salt Lake City. They work well and seal great. Would I do it again, probably not. Not the desired sound, my fuel injected, self tuning engine doesn’t have the wild cam, and crazy idle. It reminds me of hole in the exhaust. The Magnaflow mufflers I put on sound great, I wish I had gone just a bit more aggressive.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces and Bandit Billy like this.