Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How does a model A dome light install?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by radarsonwheels, Jun 24, 2019.

1. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

Howdy!

I got this repop model a dome light to go in a headliner I’m making from 1/8”ABS/foam/& stitched vinyl.

The light housing has three holes in the sides of the upside down pie tin area- it looks like maybe a retainer goes in there from the bottom once the lens is out? Like you would pop the assembly up in place then spring a wire thing into the three holes and they would sit above the headliner and hold it up in there? So that it can be removed without removing the headliner?

Can anybody point me in the right direction for mounting this thing before I go fabricating brackets and bolting them on to it? I’m thinking maybe some kind of thick wire thing would pop into the three holes but I dunno. Don’t want to re-invent the wheel if I don’t have to!
    F952FD9A-E310-4CC9-B41B-EB52B2175B09.jpeg
    C5730D85-AA5C-4FF4-9D8A-CF08267F3084.jpeg

2. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

Maybe make a plywood wood ring and screw it in through the three holes?

Or push the pie tin area up into a heated undersized hole in the ABS plastic then run three screws up into the resulting matching plastic collar?

3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I just use the flashlight app on my phone.....

4. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

Nope I’m gettin fancy this time with a dome light and footwell lights that run off a dash switch and doorjam plunger switches.

No AC or radio- it’s still a hotrod- but I want to use it a lot and when I get done work it’s dark and I always have stuff to bring home.