Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What's with the Corvette guys?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52HardTop, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Hey all, since the weather has warmed and the rains have let up, my wife and I have been trying to use one of our cars every weekend. Usually it's the Bel Air but this weekend we took the convertible out for a nice long ride. I had literally turned out of my road, with the 51, for the first time Saturday and I wasn't 100 feet down the street when an older Harley rider, was coming up the street towards me, raised his arm with a solid fist and went by with a nod big smile. Practically every motorcycle rider, I think they like the 50s Chevy's, as well as the drivers or passenger seat occupants, that we passed Sunday, gave the obligatory wave or the thumbs up. Of course we always do the same. In case I'm preoccupied and happen to miss the greeting, my wife is always there to acknowledge our passers by. This Sunday was an amazing day with all the Bikers and Kool cars on the roads. We were busy waving, thumbs up and honking back to just about everyone... That is everyone but the Corvette drivers. What's with them? Is there an unwritten rule that you never, ever, look at another Hot or Kool ride that passes you? I swear of all the Vettes we saw yesterday there was only one that came around the corner in front of us while we waited at a red light and he did smile and gave a nod to us and the car. It was a gorgeous 56 with the top off. The older gentleman, and what had to be his wife, came by and said nice car and I said the same to them. I'm curious, is it just me or are the Vette guys just too cool to show a little interest in something other then a Vette? My wife and I had a great time waiting to see if one of them even looked. Nope, they didn't...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Latigo, 31hotrodguy, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  2. "Vette owners only acknowledge other 'Vette owners. They're a stuffy bunch.:D

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Some are diehard Vette fans and some are car guys . I guess it's like us old farts and tuners.:D

rumblegutz, zzford, patmanta and 7 others like this.
  4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I drive a Ford and I never wave or give a thumbs up to any other car or rod. Is it that necessary?

5. I've been a 'Vette owner for 42 years. Original owner of an off-topic 1977. I don't ascribe to the elitism that I see from a lot of 'Vette owners. It's funny 'cause if I'm driving the 'Vette other 'Vette drivers will wave to me, but If I'm in the '32 Roadster or the "40 Coupe they just ignore me. I've never bought the obligatory Corvette clothing or various knick-knats that are marketed to them. I just don't buy into the snobbery thing. I'm a car guy, I like all of them.:)........If you see me, wave, I wave to everybody. FB_IMG_1525008048923 (1).jpg 20181006_094353 (1).jpg

6. I wouldn't worry about it, everyone likes something different.

When I driving and see a guy or gal driving a cool car I will acknowledge them, it might be a Vette, VW or a old original Model A, that's another reason to drive around with your arm hanging out the window! :D HRP

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did the Prius drivers wave at you? I don't wave at guys. :cool:

King ford, bobss396, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  8. ,..........They're more snobs than the "Vette folks!:eek:

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I think the newer 'Vette drivers used to wave, but nobody returned it. Now they're gettin' even...

31hotrodguy and tractorguy like this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And with a lot less reason!

Driver50x and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. ...............They have this, "I'm saving the planet attitude".:D;)

12. ...................They tend to look down their respective noses at us hot-rodders and consider us nothing more than greasy, fossil fuel wasting hoodlums. I guess if you think about, they're right!:eek:.........I'm burning it up as fast as I can. Leave nothing to the damn millenials !!!:D;)

13. Your car is not “numbers matching” so they don’t care about you.

enloe, zzford, 31hotrodguy and 5 others like this.
  14. they want all their engines back

15. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Here's a wave....

rumblegutz, DaveH_RRTX and 52HardTop like this.
  16. Maybe their scared we are gonna get the motor. All old cars for sale have vette motors

zzford, Latigo, 31hotrodguy and 5 others like this.
  17. topher5150

topher5150

My dad and I helped put on a car show for the new church. About a dozen Vettes showed up, blew by the registration desk parked for about 20 minutes and left. I guess they figured there wouldn't be enough trophies for all of them.

danman55, zzford, 31hotrodguy and 4 others like this.
  18. I've owned 5 Corvettes, every time I had one, I also had a Hot Rod of some sort.
    A big negative for me was the cliché about "Vette owners", it comes with the territory.
    There are a lot of Vette owners who are/act just like the rest of us..sadly they are out numbered by the majority who are the reason there is the negative attachment given.
    I never had a Corvette T-shirt or jacket..did have a hat that was given to me (which I never wore).
    An appropriate to the topic saying an old boss of mine had was "some do, some don't, so what move on".

19. That’s why I have a decal above the exhaust pipe of my Dodge Cummins that says “Prius Repellent”. I also don’t go around “rolling coal” either.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not meant to offend but an analogy of sorts.
    If a bunch of Harley types go by a Honda do you think they would give a thumbs up?

21. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

Funny, that’s me and my wife too. And the bikers seem to like a battered ‘50 Ford truck as well. We get our share of waves and thumbs up from other drivers as well. I usually give at least a casual wave to any cool vehicle I see too. I grew up in a rural area where people would wave at anyone they encountered on country roads. Sometimes I still do that, but it’s a different era now, so it doesn’t happen often. I’ve given a wave and Mrs M will ask “ who was that?” I tell her I don’t know, they were just there.

lothiandon1940 and Tomincanada like this.
  22. big john d

big john d
    from ma

i have a 69 vette i dragrace it has a narrow 9 inch and a very healthy 383 with 13 to1 and a very good sol;id roller i took it to a local vette only show all the wives wre holding their nose and blocking their ears while the older husbands gave me a few thumbsup

23. I grew up in Corvettes and even went to Bloomington every year when I was a kid with my folks. I still remember my dad liking all the stock stuff and me taking pictures of the custom vettes with flames and slot mags, etc.

My dad used to restore Corvettes for other people and that is how I learned fiberglass work. I painted my first Vette when I was 14 and several more over the 20 or so years I painted. I have also had a few Vettes over the years for myself.

But, I have never fit in with the stereotypical Vette guys although I also don't remember them being that way back in the 70’s...

If it weren’t for stereotypical snobby Vette guys who may not even know how to change their own oil, who would we have to complain about other than rat rod guys?!?! :D

24. I was at a gas pump in Kansas back in the 90's somewhere. Dood in a Corvette pulls up to the pump gets out and walks over to me. He says "my ex-wife used to drive a '63 like yours. What a pig!" He walked off and I thought, ex-wife or not, it was rude of him to talk about her that way.

;);)

I do know some Corvette owners that are good old fashioned car guys, and some that aren't ... so much.

X-cpe, 47ragtop, 31hotrodguy and 7 others like this.
  25. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Hard to wave to other drivers with a stick up your ass......

zzford, Kato Kings, Mtn Goat and 6 others like this.
  26. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

What’s the difference between a Corvette and a porcupine? With the Corvette the pricks are on the inside. I know not all Corvette guys are this way though

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not about snobbery or being egotistical or superior, it is more to do with driving better cars than everyone else. This is form the Corvette Commandments, it's like number 6 or something. All 10 are cast in fiberglass and kept in a vault in Bowling Green.
    "When you drive a Corvette, you will experience a lot of street challenges, like Honda Civics trying to race you, or a Mazda Miata driver trying to show his girlfriend what his car can do, but you are not to race any of them under any circumstances, unless it is a Dodge Challenger, Chevrolet Camaro, a Charger with a Hellcat engine, or any car of that caliber The Corvette has a certain prestige, and just like you shouldn't expect Lebron James to throw the ball around your local gym, your Corvette shouldn't play with just any car. "

28. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

An old buddy of mine put it one of the best ways I've ever heard it, "to be a proper vette owner you've gotta become a dick first".

He had an old vette he restored and drove for about 2 yrs and joined a couple vette clubs. Later he sold the vette and bought an old MG when I asked why? He gave me the above reply and said the MG guys was a lot better group of guys to hang around.

Although his pantera out lasted all the other cars he owned.

29. This thread reminded me of an old joke; What's the difference between a porcupine and a Vette.....the Vette has the pricks on the inside.
    Actually I would love to own one and I promise to wave back if I'm "Driving Elbow on top of car door window sill". ;)

30. This is the hat I wear when I drive the Vette,The vette guys don’t much care for me or the “non numbers matching “ 57.

Oh it’s hot rod, it has a vette motor in it, not the one it came with but a vette motor just the same.
    15946D9D-ECFE-490E-B2E6-169C4BA85B1D.jpeg

enloe, catdad49, 427 sleeper and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.