Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs '46-'48 Ford fenders and hood fit 41 Ford? Anyone know?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3 Speed Johnny, Jan 26, 2019.

1. 3 Speed Johnny

3 Speed Johnny

I have a 41 Ford 2door sedan with no hood or fenders and I do have chance to buy 46-48 Ford and Mercury fenders and hoods(I know Mercs are longer than Ford fenders and hoods...wonder if they match up to 41 Ford cowl?). I'm building my own frame so I can lengthen for Mercury. Any info appreciated! Johnny

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

This compares to many '33 Fords getting '34 noses, and a bunch of '35s got '36 sheet metal. In the late '40s - early '50s, a great many '41s and '42s had later noses added. One reason easy to understand - makes the car look newer …. other reasons were more air flow for cooling, and a lot of owners just didn't like the early noses.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My bud Moe Miller found an old 'kustom' 3 cars back from the crusher!
    '41 Ford convert w/Carson top, with '48 front end. '48 Cad grille, nice job, car was not cheap to buy...(junky demanded $1500 or into the crusher it'd go! This was '72, so not a great market...Rust abounded underneath)
    Moe tried to identify the car, Andy Southard came by to photo it...said he couldn't I.D. it.
    We removed front sheet metal, all genuine Ford bolts and bracketry...hood also fit great.
    Parts forward of cowling are indeed interchangeable.

kidcampbell71 and Jim Bouchard like this.
  4. Yep, all the sheetmetal will swap. The only real difference is the '41 had a slightly different mount at the frame for the radiator support, the '42-48 were all the same. If you're building a frame, it won't matter.

5. I have a 41 hood for sale and I have the latch plate too, if you are interested, PM me.
    Thanks

6. You might have to redo where the running boards attach to the front fenders .