Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Yet ANOTHER SHOEBOX REAR END QUESTION

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jezaad, Jun 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jezaad

Jezaad

Hi there,
    I'm rather new here on this board. I am from Holland and I own a 51 ford shoebox. But mine just broke down.
    I have a chevy 350 engine with a chevy th700r4 trans. The original differential broke down.
    After reading a lot of info on this board I found out that a rearend swap is the best solution. I understood Ford Maverick rear ends fit quite good. I found one with the five bold pattern from 1970. Will that fit? Or do I need one from a later year

thanks
    Joep

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  3. It should work, 52-53 inchs wide. HRP

4. Jezaad

Jezaad

Thanks for the reply. But what I really need to know:
    Is any 5 bolt 8" Maverick rear end oke? Or are there any that don't fit? Because I live in The Netherlands and I found a rear end in America. So if it doesn't fit thats a big waste of money.
    I know it's a 5 bolt patern, it's 8" and from a 1970 Maverick.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hmmm...Rides a big white stallion...travels with an Indian named 'Tonto'...shoots silver bullets. Proof.
    I'd say the three factors are what you need. 5 bolts, 8" ring, '70 Mav.

scott27 and Finnrodder like this.
  6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah, i think those are the magic words. I think all the 5 bolt Maverick rear ends are same

7. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Be aware that... as far as I know ALL Mavericks came with 2.79:1 ratio gears. That's what a Maverick guy told me when I was looking for a Ford rear end for my Mercury.

8. Slopok

Slopok

I'm certain that 6 cylinder and 8 cylinders would have different ratios, no???

Casey Riley likes this.
  9. TS057

TS057
    from Fargo, ND
    1. shoe box hambers

I don't have the numbers but it seems to me that the Maverick rear end is still a bit wide. I have a spare Mav rear end but ended up putting an S10 rear in instead. The width was better and it has 3.73's. Obviously you need to decide how much power you're going to run through it...

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. TS057

TS057
    from Fargo, ND
    1. shoe box hambers

Here's some info I'd taken down a while back... My tires were rubbing with 6.70-15's on 15 x 5 w/ 3" backspace on the stock rear end. The 8" rear really wasn't narrow enough to solve my problems (approx 1/4" per side). As a bonus the S10 rear sets the tires in about the same as they are in front and it makes it much easier to get the wheels off with the extra clearance.

Stock Rear End 57.25 wms-wms
    8.8 = 56.5"
    8 = 56.5" Ron measures 56.75"
    57-59 Ford 9" = 54-56"
    S-10 = 54.5"

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sm0k3y likes this.
  11. I have a Maverick rear axle under my 1950 Ford coupe but it is from a 1975, it's a perfect width and measures 52-53 at the backing plate, it was removed from a V8, it's 8" and has 300 gear.

I can't find any information on a 1970 Maverick except they list them as 6 cylinder cars, the rear axle I have been unable to find the size. HRP

12. My 51 Vicky runs a Granada rear Axle. It's 58" wheel flange to wheel flange, or total width. To me that's more important than just the housing number. The Maverick is is 56.50 total width. Mustang is 59.25. You can get a 9" in the Granada as well as an 8". No matter what housing you decide to use changing the spring pads is part of the deal. You will also need different U-Bolts and lower spring pads due to the change is housing tube sizes and spring width. The 8" will do as long as you don't abuse it. My 51 is also sbc and 700-r-4 with the Granada 9". You may also need to do some drivve shaft work pending yoke on the dif you get. Ford made several different ones in both length and width.

dan c likes this.
  13. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

The six cylinder Mavericks were four bolt rear ends.

14. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

4 on 4" lug pattern? yes

15. Jezaad

Jezaad

Thanks for all the info. I'm pretty sure now the axle will fit.
    But I'm also certain that the Mavericks gear ratio will ruin my gearbox.

So my plan is to buy the Maverick 8" rear end and buy the parts for another gear ratio. Parts for the 8" will be a lot easier to get.
    Tips and tricks or any info is still more than welcome.

Greetings Joep

16. I run 3:70 gears in mine. I believe the rear tires are 27.5 tall on 8" rims. Don't have a tac in it but would guess at 70 mph (I do have a correct spedo) it's turning about 1800 rpm. I get better that 20 mpg on the road. I do this a lot with it just kuz I can.
    Smokin 51.JPG

belair likes this.
  17. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look for a rear end out of a 91-92 Ford Ranger, they are the same width as the original unit, all you have to do is change the spring perches and you're in business. They are 8.8' diff's; I used a 3.55 ratio unit with an OD trans. You will want to go with taller gears with a non-OD trans.
    It is easiest unit (they are easy to find and not expensive at all, I paid $125 for mine IIRC) to use and if you want, it doesn't take much work to use the E-brake system as well.

18. 20+ mpg with 3.70 gears? I'm running 2.88 jag gears and 700r4 (4th and lockup) and doing about 12 mpg on a 383 sbc. Apologies for hacking the thread ..

19. The '70 Maverick was only available with a six and used Ford's light-duty rear axle, the V8 and 8" rear didn't arrive until '71.

20. 3.70 to 4.11 ratios are good depending on tire height.

21. Jezaad

Jezaad

That's exactly why I started this topic. I found a lot of info about the Maverick rear ends but always 71-77.
    So I better don't buy that 70's rearend...
    DAMN...

22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

If it is a 5 lug Maverick rear end, i dont see any reason to pass that deal. Maybe its a late model rear end that is bolted on '70 Maverick. After all its almost 50 year old car, so its hard believe that all the parts on that car are from factory.

23. Jezaad

Jezaad

It's from a junkyard in the US. It's not cheap to get it send here to the Netherlands. Chances are this is the weaker rear end. I can't send it back so that will be a huge waste of money. Too much to take the risk.

24. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I got your point. There isn't much shoebox parts (or Maverick) in Finland either and I have to buy most of them from US. So, I have an idea about the shipping, taxes etc

Sent from my S41 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Good decision. Were it I shopping I would ask specifically for a "V-8 Maverick" or a Granada complete rear Axle unit. Also with those units you can install all your Stock 51 E-Brake cables into the backing plates and connect direct to the mechanical arm on those shoes.

Finnrodder likes this.
  26. Going back up to your original statement it sounds like you were driving your 51 and then the Diff failed. Is that true? If so why not just repair what you have. Unless you have Fat-n-Sticky rear tires I really see no reason for a Total upgrade. That stock rear unit is as good as any 8" unit you can get when healthy. What exactly do you mean by this statement, "But mine just broke down." ? There may be a much less expensive way to get your car back on the road.

SicSpeed likes this.
  27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a complete unit from a '51 for sale locally on Craigslist. Seems to me you if you went with a same year rear end you would know it would fit. JMO.

28. Jezaad

Jezaad

It seems that even in the old days these rearends from shoeboxes broke down at the v8 versions. They are not the strongest. Since my driveline is a 1984 corvette 350 with carb and it's th700r4 and I sometimes like to be the fastest to leave at a trafficlight the original won't work.
    It broke when I tried to spin the wheels (as I did before) when leaving at a trafficlight.
    I don't do it that often, it's mostly cruising, but sometimes I just like to do that. That's my guilthy pleasure, I'm sorry. So I need a rear end that holds up with the abuse

29. Jezaad, I totally get it as my above photo shows. As I said, my motor started out a 350 also and a 700-R-4. Like you I like to lean on it. I can tell you the 8" I started with Didn't hold up. Plus nobody makes heavy duty race Axles for the 8" Ford unit.

Crazy Steve likes this.
  30. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The advice you get might be more useful if you would fill in your profile and add your location. I don't think anyone knew you were in the Netherlands; more of our European contingent could point you towards solutions closer to home. Just sayin'