Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tires - tall and skinny or short and fat -your thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 23, 2019.

1. With the Hamb focus being the style's from the 40's through the mid 60's the hiboys, roadster's & T-buckets have changed as far as the rubber is concerned.

My old roadster had more of a 60's vib but if I was to build it today I would lean more to the earlier styles with the taller,skinnier tires more like the old primered mordor. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I'm more of a shorter and fatter type myself. Has to have some sidewall for sure.

3W JOHN, texasred and Sky Six like this.
  3. Back in the late 60's the fat tires were just coming out and I put them on the 32 coupe I was building. I look back at those now and think what was I thinking. So just like a woman , tall and skinny does it for me.:rolleyes: You decide. Then and now!
    Vaun_0006.jpg IMG_4544.JPG

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Any doubt in your mind Danny?
    Denny's-garage_grey3.jpg

5. [​IMG]

Always been short and skinny and tall and fat for me................

6. ...............Still is.

[​IMG]

7. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I like short and fat on street rods, tall and skinny on the traditional hot rods. :p

8. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I am with you guys, skinny minnies and wide hides...……….

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Depends on the car and the wheels. 30's can go either way, 40's through 60's need some width to fill up the fenderwells. No matter, skinny or fat, they have to have sidewalls. I can't stand the tiny O ring tires with no sidewall on anything, no matter how wide they are. Big tall wheels with no sidewall tires went out with stock T models as far as I'm concerned.

Deuces, Never2low, 47ragtop and 6 others like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't say it any better than that right there. Gotta have those side walls showing no matter what color they are as long as they don't have letters different than the sidewall they are on.
    I've got two ot rigs with 17's and low profile tires and both will beat the crap out of you on rough roads even though one says DTS on the back and the other says 528I and both will beat you to death on rough roads. Wife complains less about the ride in my dualie flatbed than the 528.

As far as the original question goes it goes back to the total build of the rod. I still stand by the concept that you should not take specific notice of of one part of a car or truck before your eye sees the complete package. Every car in the previous posts prove that and CT1932Fords before and after show that. The before has a couple of things that draw your eye away but the after is a complete package where you just see hot rod. Even the slicks on Dean's old rp aren't distracting because they are part of that particular package. Think of the hot rod fails you saw at the last rod trot. It is almost always the wrong wheel and tire combo that causes the fail and some times it is the wrong tires on certain wheels that causes the failure.

deadbeat and 3W JOHN like this.
  11. I usually have @least 2 sets of different set ups for all my cars

12. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I like them all but the tall tires are the best.

[​IMG]

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

3W JOHN and Stogy like this.
  14. I am running bias on both my 32's, and they drive/track just fine. I do not like the radial look on traditional cars. JMO

15. I had the tall skinny bias on my '32 pickup. HRP

[​IMG]

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am a die hard Bias Fan all quirks and shortcomings somewhat Overblown included...so it's big n' little...tall n' skinny

0_20190617_202405.jpg

Mainly because it is all that was available back then and nothing...YET...matches the look...

I will say they have gotten almost close enough to almost eliminate that modern radial look which still is hugely popular even here...and I see there are some buying into that more vintage look that really sets the stone in a closer to 1965 look...but still gives a radial ride...which is a preference that has been argued ad nauseam here...

I was at a cruise recently and saw these Piecrust Skinny tires on a 40 Dodge that Almost fooled me...I think it's a Diamondback offering...maybe Auburn Deluxe...tread is coarser and pie crust finer but it was the closest I've seen Radials look this way...buy I will stay Bias
    ...as it just feels right...but I would be much happier seeing the modern radial look replaced with the newer vintage look cousins but I Don't think that'll ever happen...;)

0_20190607_191402.jpg

0_20190607_191413.jpg

0_20190607_191425.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Deuces, wicarnut, ct1932ford and 4 others like this.
  17. I always told all my old girlfriends that "long and thin may be what's in, but short and fat is where its at..."

18. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Dean has the definitive answer.
    Hardest problem is where to find the correct tall n fat...
    Marcus...

AHotRod, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. Another vote for '60's style short & skinny in front; tall & fat in back. :cool:
    20190411_180216(1) - Copy.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  20. e z i

e z i

Skinny, skinny, tall, short.

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm using Excelsiors , 5.00-16 front and 7.00-16 rear.

I like the look they give my RPU compared to the pre paint and shiny stuff mockup using 15 " BFG T/A radials in 155-80 and 255-70.

010193EE-D8AA-4D5A-82B5-45F2609B4BA5.jpeg.jpg EC9E6FDB-EEC1-4888-A4B1-4DB50FF308AD.jpeg.jpg

*An appropriate Edit *
    Here she is finished and on the road.

IMG_5436.jpeg
    IMG_5438.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2023
    Deuces, wicarnut, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  22. I think it depends on a lot of things for me. The build the car and the budget all play a part.

My Crosley is pretty versatile as far as tires go for example. Fattys on the rear or skinnies will fly. By the fist of August it will be running short fat tires, short being a nominal term here, I think they are between 28 and 29" tall and about 8-10" wide (I haven't measured them in a while) the car will handle the tire well as it is an old dragster and I have them so it is a combo of budget and the car. Eventually I want to run 8 wides by 30s. But again it is a budget issue. LOL

Stogy, AHotRod, 3W JOHN and 1 other person like this.
  23. Any super secret spy photo's being leaked out? HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like short and fat between the frame rails. Tough looking chassis

25. More than the look, I love the ride of the radials on the pickup. I figure that if our rod heroes could have had radials back in the day, they would have been the standard back then.

AHotRod, Driver50x, 47ragtop and 5 others like this.
  26. A Boner

A Boner

Tall on the back
    Skinnier on the front
    Widths depends on style of the car

wicarnut, AHotRod, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  27. I'll be swapping the rear in the next few weeks. My time is nutz, trying to get moved and get this old house ready to sell. But I have to swap the 9" in to roll it up on a trailer so it will have to happen before Aug 1.

3W JOHN, Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Pizza cutter front , 70 series rear .Mine are 165/80-15 front and 255/70-15 rear . Perfect on a 32 for me

Deuces, AHotRod, fastcar1953 and 5 others like this.
  29. Tall & skinny on Tom's car. HRP

[​IMG]

Deuces, wicarnut, AHotRod and 7 others like this.
  30. sedantudor

sedantudor

Depends on the build theme. Need to have a sidewall either way. For the most part I like short and skinny in the front taller and fat in the back. I will add I am not a fan of white lettered tires on a rod/custom either way.