Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical what protection are you using?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Jun 20, 2019.

1. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

scotty t and Deuces like this.
  2. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I live in coastal Alabama and the humidity here is so high most of the year if you stomp your feet it will start raining. I run a dehumidifier 24/7 year round. The drain tube is through the wall so never have to empty the drain tank or have dehumidifier shut down because tank is full. Do not have any rusting problems with tools or projects. The shop also has a pleasant smell because of no humidity or mold. No floor sweating problems. Just lowering the humidity makes he shop feel cooler and more comfortable to work.

I also have a 12,000 btu air conditioner built into the wall and rarely open the garage door except when ambient air temperature is in 70’s and humidity is low. I usually set the thermostat in the mid 80’s and then lower it the night before I know I’ll be out there working. Or if out there several days in a row leave it turned down then turn it back up.

Deuces likes this.
  3. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Except for monsoon season, when the rains come in daily. It is extra hot and extra humid.

Some parts of the state get more monsoon rain than other parts.

And the "Traditional" cooling is evaporative (swamp) coolers, which cool by evaporating water. It makes excess humidity in the rainy season. After 30+ years, I switched to air conditioning and find it more comfortable.

Deuces likes this.
  4. 83Squarebody

83Squarebody
    from Arizona

Move to Arizona... ‍♂️

Deuces likes this.
  5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I bought a Diest kerosene lantern, with the old glass chimney...like a smaller railroad lantern. Cheap kerosene, (lantern was under $20, cheap enough to try...)
    Next 2 days, no rust settling on my NEW raw steel bench. (30" X 72")
    Previously, my tools (Mac, Snap-On, some Cornwell, Craftsman) had begun to RUST inside a MAC toolbox, with drawers lined with the rubber mat inside...AARGH!
    My MAIN toolbox, (2 bottom boxes on a tube frame with 1/2 ton casters, large top chest) never threatened to rust, (it's inside my attached garage, but a few things showed rust starting in 2-3 days...)
    a Chrysler Hemi's chain and sprockets got 'brown' while front of engine was open. New chain and sprockets got replaced... few $$, lesson learned.
    Found a leak in the exhaust hose of wife's clothes dryer! Hose and metal pipe attachment came apart, ripped hose had 2" X 1" gaping hole...Dampness in the air!
    The blues now...
    "Gapin' dryer hole...
    Dampness in the air;
    Compensation comin',
    There's condensation over dair!"
    Mmmm, mmm.

TrailerTrashToo and Deuces like this.
  6. Ok Mike that was good.......

Deuces likes this.
  7. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Raining again today, walked into the shop and with the lights off I swore I heard the rust crawling up the metal !

My tool box is starting to show small particles of rust on my tools too....

Maybe in 2 months I'll be bitchin it's too dry ?

Deuces likes this.
  8. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Try Picklex20 it works pretty good for cleaning, prepping, and rust prevention on bare metal.

You'll find some webpage forums if you google the product that have pros and cons. I'm OK with the product and I actually purchased it from the guy in Huntsville, AL that markets it.

9. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Interesting. I’ve never heard of it but quickly pulled it up and looked at it. What are the pros and cons of it that you know or experienced. I am thinking of trying it out.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Rust never sleeps!

Deuces likes this.
  11. Try Rubber Cement

robracer1 and Deuces like this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Bump.

I bought Damp Rid, first time. Put some in a styrofoam cup and stuck it in a work truck parked outside. Week later the cup was full, water over the top of the now hard as a rock damp rid! I guess it works. Is that all there is to it, just let it soak up the moisture and toss it?

Deuces likes this.
  13. I shoot one coat of 3M weld through primer on stuff until i get back to it. That way i don't have to sand it off to start back in on it.

Deuces and WB69 like this.
  14. After the twins were born and the doctors said we had a good chance of having twins or triplets if we had any more children, I decided to visit my doctor and have a vasectomy, instead of having a working model I went to a sports model for fun and recoration. HRP

Just Gary, VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  15. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Air movement and like Lloyd above said, "weld through primer". Works for me. Oh, and the 2nd amendment of some sorts!

16. a crooked accountant and a really good lawyer

Deuces likes this.
  17. Dewey, Cheatem, & Howw. My lawyers

Deuces likes this.
  18. Deuces

Deuces

Sounds like something from the Stooges....:D

19. rusty valley

rusty valley

too late for most of us, but when pouring a new concrete floor put plastic down first. this keeps the cement from "wicking" moisture out of the ground. the floor in my old shop sweat like hell in the minnesota humidity, my new shop with plastic is always dry. cement finishers hate it, the water sits on the surface instead of soaking into the ground, but it will finish fine

20. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Gibbs, the stuff works. You can get it at Walmart on line.
    Just saying on message:cool::rolleyes::)

21. G'day, Our shop can get quite humid but for some reason my Corvette bodies don't seem to rust. Dad paints everything else though. It does get pretty dry up here in the winter so we have to watch when we can do final painting.

As far as the other protection I have a hereditary heart valve issue and will be having surgery next month. I have no choice but celibacy for now. If I follow family tradition and don't survive the operating table my wife will be having quite a sale this spring.

22. G'day, Yeah, I guess I am kind of a buzz kill. Sorry. I think the last couple of days was my first time back here in 7 years. Survived a stroke then so haven't touched a car since. They are just collecting dust in the shop. Engine stuff is staying dry though.

23. Well I've had the mitral valve surgery, and like you my family history says that I'll be out of here at 59. So i take it serious when i say to live every day like it's your last. Can you look back tmrw and say you didn't waste yesterday? Because it cost you a day of your life.

24. 5061DCC4-00E8-4DA1-B0BC-5C06250C0EAB.gif
    that right there is some funny sh!t HRP
    HAHAHAHAHA!!