Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Looking for information on an old speed shop in Wisconsin.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eightballgrifter, Jun 22, 2019.

1. I'm in the process of building my 331 Caddy race motor and am trying to track down part of its history. The fuel injection on the motor was originally ordered by Pfiefer Power and Speed, Renosha, Wisconsin in 1962. Does anyone know of this old shop or remember a mean caddy motor running in that area...414ci according to the order sheet from Hilborn!

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Try Kenosha Wisconsin

3. Thanks, yes....would help if I'd spelled it correctly! Did a search but it would seem that whatever was there is long gone.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Different spelling but close, might be worth a call.

Attached Files:

5. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

That shop is closed also. It was a transmission repair shop that was known for quality work. Winthrop Harbor is a few miles South of Kenosha, just over the Wisconsin/Illinois state border.
    There was a Phiefer from Kenosha who ran a car at the local drag strip (Great Lakes Dragaway, Union Grove, Wisconsin)
    But I do not know any details about him.
    I will ask some friends who may remember him.

6. Al Pfeifer ran a 1933 and a 1941 Wiilys coupe out of Kenosha. Maybe he used the Pfiefer Power and Speed name when he purchased speed parts? I believe he ran Mopar engines in both the Willys though.
    image.jpeg

7. kwhizz

kwhizz

Al had Caddy engines in his first cars..... 50 Merc and a41 Willys………..Before switching to Chrysler Power

8. This is great!!! Thanks so much!...it really helps to piece some history together! I've posted this already on a thread about Caddy intakes, but this is what I had back from Hilborn...Any more info on Al Pfiefer would be excellent.... Is he still around?....definitely sounds a likely candidate for who/what I'm looking for!
    [​IMG]

9. He has passed away some years ago. He won best engineered car at the us nationals in the early 60s.

UNSHINED 2 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Isn't the hamb great?:)

Texas Webb and eightballgrifter like this.
  11. here is a pic of Pfeifer's 50 Merc running Cad motor at Great Lakes Dragaway 1956.
    Second pic is the restored original Pfeifer Merc at Great Lakes Dragaway 2017.
    scan0002.jpg IMG_1380.JPG

12. Great photos! Thanks for posting...do you know who owns the merc now?

13. I believe the 33-34 willy's was crashed beyond repair. The later willys was turned into a street rod then changed back to some what resemble the way it was originally. There was a thread on its return to a race car here.
    Local legend has it the guy was crazy about a clean car. When a tech inspector at the grove put his foot on the bumper he was asked to remove it. When the guy didn't he was knocked out. I have heard that story several times from different guys in the area over the years.

14. Don't think so. The 33 is alive and well in Michigan. It has been chopped
    Dougs 33.jpg
    This picture is a few years old, don't know if Doug G is on the hamb or not but maybe someone else knows him.

UNSHINED 2 and eightballgrifter like this.
  15. I can't recall the owners name. I think he said he was on Pfeifer's crew when Pfeifer decided to sell the Merc and he bought it, year of purchase and condition of the Merc when he bought it, I don't know. The owner lives in the Kenosha, Wis. area.
    Curt R

eightballgrifter likes this.
  16. Since my last post on this thread I've been lucky enough to stumble on a lot more info on Elverne "Al" Pfiefer, and of all the places it was right here on the Hamb!...I'll post a link to the thread for anyone interested, but pleased to report the 41 Willys that Al raced and for which my race motor parts were ordered up is alive and well. The current owners have been kind enough to send through some more info on Al and the Willys. It turns out it was a real contender back in the day!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. Mart

Mart

Very cool. a great story. Viva la HAMB.

18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Neat story! I gather you have the injection unit from the 414 but not the entire 414?
    What became of the 414? What powers the 50 Merc today?

I love that Hilborn secured their receipt record and makes it available to enthusiasts.

19. Yeah I have the Hilborn injection, Moon timing cover, magneto, Hilborn fuel pump and Eelco valley cover. No idea what became of the 414 block sadly. As far as I can tell the 414 and Hilborn kit was ordered for the Willys build and didn't ever see duty in the Merc. I'm going to try to take my block back out to the same spec as Al did, I'm hoping it's going to make for one mean motor!

Hot Rods Ta Hell likes this.