Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cleaning Speedway Aluminum Discs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sedantudor, Jun 21, 2019.

1. sedantudor

sedantudor

Greetings All. Recently I decided to put aluminum discs onto my Ford Sedan. Trying out a different look. Today I went a local cruise and found out no matter what I did, I could get "white" lines out of one of the discs. I tried yelling at it, cursing at it, hell I even tried to clean it with tire cleaner. (Trying to not use anything too caustic or abrasive.) Nothing seemed to work. Any suggestions on what some of you folks use for full discs. If it matters, the discs are the clip ons, not the bolt ons. Much thanks for any suggestions and assistance. I also purchased an aluminum cleaner and have not tried it yet

2. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. TRASH THEM....would look like shit on a two door anyway

iwanaflattie likes this.
  4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

What's your problem ?
    Your note says that you DID (see above in red ..!)...get the white lines out..!

Mike

5. Chevy winter side.JPG

I have the same problem. Used them in the winter years ago and they look like ass. Just want to sell them, don't like the look

6. sedantudor

sedantudor

Damn typos. I need to fire my secretary.......which is me of course. I meant to type could not get the white marks out. Sorry for the confusion.

7. sedantudor

sedantudor

I had baby moons with trim rings on before. I got tired of scratching the hell out of the wheels every time I would take a wheel off or check the torque on the lug nuts before a trip. Suggestions for something better looking? I am open to ideas.

8. Use window cleaner on the discs. My choice other than baby moons would be Ford dog dish caps 46 to 48 or maybe 52-54, with no trim rings in black steelies. Wrap your cap removal tool in electrical tape to stop the scratches.

9. sedantudor

sedantudor

Thanks for the advice on cleaning the aluminum discs, will give it a try tomorrow. Also will remember the tip about wrapping the tool in electrical tape. Thanks for the advice.

10. Maybe mag wheel cleaner would work, it's like an acid wash, longer you leave it on the more it works. I just did this intake with it after washing it with dishwashing detergent.

20190608_220720.jpg 20190617_190448.jpg

11. sedantudor

sedantudor

Well, I finally got the marks out today,. It was a real pain in the ass. Scrubbed the caps with a damn toothbrush using wax and grease remover, then polished them back up using Meguire's all metal polish (paste, not liquid). By the time I finished it was getting dark so I guess we will see what they look like in the morning.

LOST ANGEL and 54 ford coupe like this.