Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Olds Rocket into Shoebox

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kiwiandy, Jun 22, 2019.

1. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Yesterday I got the mock-up 303 and T350 sitting roughly in place.
    The compact starter from Ross Race Engines does a perfect job of getting the starter clear of the steering box but I now need to do something with the steering arm where it hits on the sump and bell housing.
    Raising the engine isn’t ideal as it creates centre line issues with the driveline.
    Before a start messing with things does anybody have any input or solutions that may be worth considering?
    I’m in New Zealand so cutting and welding steering components isn’t really an accepted practice.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

prez likes this.
  2. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

What about swapping your inner tie rod ends side to side. As installed, they bend upwards, but if you put the right side tie rod on the left side and vice versa, the bend would be downwards.

I have been known to be way wrong in the past, so, don't believe everything you read. :confused:

Of course, then you'd have to modify/address EVERY other problem the "solution" causes.

kiwiandy likes this.
  3. manyolcars

manyolcars

You posted this under 'traditional customs' so show us the customizing

4. BJR

BJR

How about heating and bending the steering arm and idler arm down enough to clear the cast bel housing? Notch the oil pan if needed. Paint all the steering components and no one will ever notice they have been bent.

kiwiandy likes this.

5. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

There’s 13 years worth of sheet metal pics in my build thread.

don colaps likes this.
  6. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Sounds legitimate. I’ll have a look. Thanks

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They used to make dropped tie rods to solve just this problem. I don't know if they were reworked stockers or new pieces, but it might just pay to look into it.

kiwiandy likes this.
  8. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Yeah heating and bending that maybe a final option if I can’t sort anything else. Notching the sump wouldn’t be to hard either.
    Thanks

9. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Yeah I’ve read about them over the years but never found one. I was hoping someone might suggest one from another vehicle that might work. Dropping and relocating the steering box might also be an option.
    Thanks