Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Route 66, my family, and a 63 wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Driveway builder, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

4FAE64B3-F4F4-4F61-AB11-00A90F7CFDB0.png
    A lot of pressure on there when you push the pedal. I had a zip tie and it ripped through. Tried tie wire wrapped around twice... would hold for a bit, but no good for the rest of the trip.

Hombre, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. 56shoebox

56shoebox

3. egads

egads

4. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

5. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

There is 50 different ways that it could be fixed... just not from the Santa Rosa Hampton Inn parking lot. :(

Woogeroo, Hombre, slv63 and 3 others like this.
  6. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Driveway builder and loudbang like this.
  7. Wayne67vert

Wayne67vert

Old style exhaust hanger would work

Driveway builder and loudbang like this.
  8. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I think I found it. Part number 316 7614.963 AMBASSADOR ENGINE SIDE CLUTCH CROSSBEAM
    (A.K.A. Z-BAR OR CROSSSHAFT) SUPPORT ASSEMBLY.
    THIS IS THE EARLY TYPE USING THE FABRIKA STRAP.

http://www.ramblerparts.com/catalog.php

209-365-6315 Scotts Rambler Parts. Overnight from Oregon????

9. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Sorry, I see your post above stating you already researched Scott.

10. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

There is a way to drive it without a functional clutch, but if you haven't done it before, it's kinda spooky. I had to limp my Plymouth from Denver to Colorado springs when on of the pressure plate arms failed. I started up in gear, let off the gas, lightly revved up the engine while gently pulling back on the shift lever, felt it gate and pulled it in. Then when stopping, I would blip the throttle to pull it into neutral. But I always had to shut it down and put it in first to leave from a complete stop... Sigh... It was a PITA!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Thank you!!! I’m going to get walking. There is a shop a mile away. Hopefully they can rig it or even help at all. Than I could order the part on Monday.

Hombre, Thor1, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  12. raven

raven

Looks like it could be replaced with a length of steel strap, drill some holes and use bolts to put it together. I wish I were close, I’d help you out.
    Didn’t Atch make some spreadsheet with H.A.M.B.’ers contact info across the nation?
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. raven

raven

When you do a member search, you can search by state. Maybe someone from the H.A.M.B. is close by.
    r

Hombre and loudbang like this.
  14. atch

atch

Hombre and loudbang like this.
  15. atch

atch

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  16. raven

raven

Thanks Atch!
    r

loudbang likes this.
  17. atch

atch

18. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

First thing is to get it off,looks like some kind of reinforced rubber belt?,maybe a belt from a aggregate spreader would work,those belts are really tough,maybe find a farm store or tractor dealer ,of some sort.The rivits are going to be tough to get out,i would use bolts to put it back together. Maybe even a piece of Teflon would work. Good Luck.

19. atch

atch

member Del Maguey is in Ranchos de Taos; about 120 miles away. Was on here a couple of days ago.

member dmw56 is in Edgewood, about 85 miles away. Was on here a couple of months ago.

member figueroae78 was on here last week, but doesn't say where in NM he is.

member Fieldcar_56 was on here last week, but doesn't say where in NM he is.

member greaserchief is in Rio Rancho, about 120 miles away. Was on here a couple of weeks ago.

member martin53 is in Portales, about 90 miles away. Was on here a couple of days ago.

member NMCarNut is in "northern NM" and was on here this week.

member Svendingo was on here a couple of weeks ago, but doesn't say where in NM he is.

member winduptoy is in Zuzax, about 95 miles away. He was on here yesterday.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  20. atch

atch

Maybe one of these folks will see this; OR someone on here today knows one of these people and can call him/her.

21. atch

atch

Driveway Builder; I'm sure you already knew this and have thought of doing it.

As a second vote on the idea let me say that the clutch cable on one of my old Harleys (many years ago) broke on my New Years Day ride. As you can imagine January 1 isn't really warm in central Missouri. Anyway, I rode that sucker home, with a passenger, without ever being able to use the clutch, doing exactly what classiccarjack said above.

If there's anything more that I can do from here, 800 miles away, let me know. My phone is 573 864-4007, if you should need it.

We here have been watching your thread ever since you first announced your upcoming trip. Here's hoping you get back on the road quickly and the rest of your trip goes smoothly.

22. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

American Motors Owners Association
    https://amonational.com/

There are AMO members in your area I'm betting. My Ramblers are Americans, this is my '64 but looks different that your Classic. Send me a PM I may be able to help.
    If you have vice grips, coat hanger wire several loops twisted tight I bet will work until you can get the part. Another choice is metal plumbers strap, bolted with 1/4x20 ...1 1/2" bolt,nut is very strong. Common items.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

23. The piece that's broken needs to be flexible like the original was. I don't think you want a solid metal bracket to replace the rubber section. It needs to be able to flex a bit to accommodate the engine's torque rotation. Most manual trans cars accomplished this by using a ball and socket on each end of the Z-arm. I'd try to get a couple sections of tire sidewall exhaust hangers, or similar. Maybe something like this....

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...4786711?q=Tail+Pipe+Hangers+(Universal)&pos=7

If there's room attach it at each end to the broken part and attach it with a couple of small C-clamps... if there's room. I'd also put a blob of grease on both ends of the Z-arm pivots to help it work smoother. It might get you by till you can get a new part. Or if it works OK you might just leave it like that. It's a Rambler. :p

24. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Looking at my cell phone maps program.

The Route 66 Auto Museum is west of the Hampton Inn on Rt 66. Maybe you can find a motorhead on duty.

Carquest auto parts is about 1.6 miles west of the Hampton Inn on Rt 66.

NAPA is a little further west at 2.1 miles, just south of Rt 66

If the museum is open, and with a little luck, a motorhead will be available...

I'm thinking a heavy duty exhaust hanger (a.k.a. tail pipe hanger) and maybe a small muffler clamp as the pivot??? Heavy duty tail pipe hanger.jpg
    Picture from an internet search.

Similar from NAPA
    https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7321009

chryslerfan55, loudbang and 56shoebox like this.
  25. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I don't see why it needs to flex. My '64 American as well as my '66s are solid. Same motor 64, 199, 232, 290 in 66s.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

26. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Looks to me just drill it out, a chunk of tire sidewall, and 4 bolts/washers/nuts and Bob's Yer Uncle.

Need to find a Farmer or Rancher, locate the right Diner to hang around or Waffle House,, look for a suitably scruffy looking individual wearing overalls and a Massey-Ferguson hat. He's your man.

27. Hmmm... So it is. But the Z-arm doesn't look exactly the same. Maybe some parts swapping has taken place or AM issued some redesigned pieces. I'd be curious to see if your Z-arm has a straight shaft or a ball and socket on the ends. Either way, during acceleration and deceleration the engine and trans tend to rotate around the crankshaft centerline while the Z-arm has to remain stationary where it mounts to the chassis.

Did these Ramblers still use a torque-tube did they have an open driveshaft by this time?

28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I would have tried the clothes hanger wire trick first to limp to get somewhere
    (but you said you tried wire so???)
    upload_2019-6-22_13-36-1.png
    also you can find different variations of these little turnbuckles at the hardware store etc.
    if you can get it hooked or attached.
    (Once had a friend that held a 440 down with em:D
    upload_2019-6-22_13-33-46.gif
    ..or ya may have to find somewhere to buy a few tools, take it apart, (grinder?)grind those heads off, knock the rivits out and get creative with a peice of metal etc? (as mentioned I thought of the old tire sidewall too???)
    Some parts houses let you rent tools....you kind of just buy them then take them back for a refund in some places.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  29. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

18A9ABD8-2F5E-4A97-BCD3-F62615836928.jpeg F012AD9F-46DF-491E-BA89-D51C080E0CF2.jpeg Thank you so much to everyone who is trying to help me out! I was lucky enough to actually break down right down the street from a hot rod shop. A guy quick Weld it in a piece of steel. So far I have gone about 200 miles and everything is working great. Quick fix for now… Will replace it with the correct part when I get home. Thanks again to everybody! I’m sorry I have not responded to everyone that private message to me… I’m on the road trying to climb these hills. LOL

30. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

Hooray for Bozo!

Boneyard51, chiro, Hombre and 5 others like this.