Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods C4 kickdown....arrgggghhhh

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loveoftiki, Jun 21, 2019.

1. So, I have none of the original parts...was told C4 doesn’t need one... but sure makes “spirited driving” pretty dull...nothing like mashing the gas pedal and getting none of the oomph associated with that action. So my new motors almost ready..I have my trans at the shop, it’s a 63 green dot C4. I also have a column shift, I wanted the 67 valve body put in and I’ve been told my column shift will work, just don’t bump it into 2... my question is...how the hell do I find an easy solution..the Lokar deal looks like they sell ya some cables and you gotta source all the carb parts to make it work, the original stuff isn’t say to find, and if I did I m not sure if it works with a column shifter...anyone got anything here....confusing the ££~~~ out of me. I was ready to tell the trans guy to hold off until I figure this out..

loudbang likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

long time since I have worked on Ford C4 - pretty sure that kick down has nothing to do with transmission linkage - solid metal rod from carburetor to bracket on side of trans - checked eBay?

loudbang and deathrowdave like this.
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Does your carburetor have the Ford kickdown lever on it?
    If so a bent rod to the lever on the transmission should be all you need.

tommyd and loudbang like this.

4. topher5150

topher5150

I thought a kickdown cable was essential? I remember reading how Ford was having trouble with the AOD's burning out because the plastic bushing on the throttle body for the kickdown cable would go bad and wouldn't down shift.

loudbang likes this.
  5. The C4 can operate without kickdown linkage. The AOD trans need it because that also signals when to 'lock up' as well as determining shift points.

GreenMonster48, tommyd and loudbang like this.
  6. Sourwood

Sourwood
    from Atlanta Ga

If you've got plenty of HP you don't need a kick down......

7. Got about 375...

loudbang likes this.
  8. loudbang likes this.
  9. town sedan

town sedan

Sorry, just being obsessive..., you said above "...it's a 63 green dot C4." Ford has been known to do some odd things but the 1st year for the C4 was 1964. The hogs head might be aluminum, but is the main body of the transmission aluminum or iron? If iron it's not a C4.
    -Dave

loudbang likes this.
  10. Typo on my end ...it’s a 64 trans

loudbang likes this.
  11. Not to make the kickdown work on a C4. Lokar sells the same kit (for twice the money!), I didn't look to see if theirs comes complete. Summit advertises theirs as complete and from looking at the directions I believe them. Their kit doesn't require any 'special' carb linkage, they say it will work on any.

If you're not in a hurry, I bought the Summit kit and can let you know how it works; the sales guy said no other parts needed. Not installed yet because I'm also changing the carb soon, I don't want to install it on the one that's coming off.

I'm also curious if you actually have a C4. As noted, it wasn't available until '64 and was only used behind the 289 initially. The '64 versions are a bit rare, and only bolt up to the '62-64 SBF 5 bolt blocks unless the bellhousing has been swapped for a later one.

loudbang likes this.
  12. This tells me it’s a 64..C = 60’s and 4, also a 24 spline...and it gets better..I noticed the bell house is cracked.

Steve let me know how that set up works. I still have a rod for linkage on my carb... FB3AF19C-6398-4253-8095-27DDF4163BFF.jpeg FACF343F-069B-4EC7-B208-A5991404DF2E.jpeg 46EDDE52-1C00-407D-AECC-C3583C5C21F3.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  13. The Summit kit looks like it has all the parts as the Lokar one. The carb end locates on the bottom of throttle lever. There is no special linkage needed there. I installed a Lokar cable on my coupe twenty-something years a go, works great. I used the black housing, instead of the braided stainless, fit in better with the rest of the engine.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Thanks...you guys are making me feel a little better about it..the stock stuffs like hens teeth

loudbang likes this.
  15. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

There are about 30 different kickdown rods for a C4 . I have two hanging in the garage . They all work the same , drop the trans into second gear . The reason for so many different rods is to clear different floor pans and options . If you were near I’d gladly give you one of the rods I have . As stated you can fab one from tubing . There is a return spring and bracket that attaches to your carb also , without this it may never return from passing gear . Let me know if you need a few photos , I’ll get you some .

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  16. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

You sure that's a crack Loveoftiki?...it looks in the photo like it could be casting flash....

17. RmK57

RmK57

If it's a 63-64 it should be a cruise-o-matic with the prndl pattern. C4's didnt start showing up until 66 with the prnd21 pattern.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Yep it’s a green dot..but with a 67 valve body it’s becomes a prnd21 pattern

tommyd and loudbang like this.
  19. Nah it’s a crack and not a deal breaker...got a good welder..just was one other thing I didn’t want to deal with.

loudbang likes this.
  20. RmK57

RmK57

All I can say is have the Lokar setup on my c6. It's easy to install and very adjustable, works perfect for me. I use a Holley 950 hp which has the Ford kick down lever on it.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Trans guy told me you need the kick down - it keeps the trans in check - when not needed. With out I think it was said it would wear the disks out slowly. A good old Motors manual should show something.....

loudbang likes this.
  22. I wouldn't count on the casting number on the tailshaft housing as being the last word. Ford didn't change numbers unless the part changed, that merely denotes the first year it appeared. I'd look for numbers elsewhere to pin it down better; main case, bellhousing, and particularly the valve body.

loudbang likes this.
  23. I trust you are smart enough to shift it down your self. Thats what I did until I put in an AOD and now it has a cable kick down that has to be there!!

24. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Have never used a kick down on a C4. Never been a problem. If you need more, pull the shifter down one hole. I usually have enough HP to pull whatever gear it's in at the time or I manually shift it if I need faster results. Less clutter and gives my right arm something to do occasionally.
    SPark

Sourwood and loudbang like this.
  25. Same thing my guys telling me..he said “run it till ya Figure it out”

loudbang likes this.
  26. Yeah I think I’ll lose the column shift and spring for the Lokar “muscle car” shifter.. might be kind of fun to grab a gear now and then

loudbang likes this.
  27. A9A7B9C8-A67B-4D22-9B59-75DC40A8F2DD.jpeg 6242C21F-4149-40E7-9892-E09C17B135CB.jpeg 289 the trans was behind...although with much more power now...

loudbang likes this.
  28. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

You do not need kickdown rod and it will NOT destroy your trans , PG yes , Dodge trans yes , 700 and 200 R4 yes , AOD yes . The cable is a throttle pressure valve on later trans ., does nothing on a C4 or C6 but drop you back a gear .

loudbang likes this.