Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Phantoms, Conan Swords and Fantasty Pieces

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, Jun 21, 2019.

1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The mind wanders.;)
    I've got a 1965 F100 I'm into right now, the F1 and a little Fairlane. So my plate is full and I'm working out of it.

With that said I have a desire for a early style hot rod. I have a desire to truly build a car rather than repair one.

In the flintlock longrifle world (a very period correct pursuit) there are builds called...Phantoms....Fantasy Pieces.....

These are creations based or inspired by historical fact but....there is no real evidence that that incarnation really existed. There is a lot of "What Ifs?....What if a PA. gunsmith moved to TN. in 1790 and built a rifle? What if one family of gunsmiths married into another family of gunsmiths....what would this mixture of styles be?

Sometimes the result is absolutely credible. I have seen the proverbial fantasy hammer hit the historical nail on the head. Sometimes these fantasy pieces wind up matching almost to a tee, a genuine historical piece. Sometimes an undiscovered historical piece comes to light only after the fantasy piece gets some press.
    It's truly fascinating sometimes.

Then there are the Conan Swords......
    A Conan Sword is an absolute fantasy piece. So much so it's entire history is fiction. It's complete fantasy.....It might as well be Buck Rogers meets Flash Gordon. They ally with Conan and Mad Max and crusade in the post apocalyptic future that in some strange reality is the pre Bibilcal past.o_O

In it's own way a Conan Sword and especially the ideas that created can be a really neat thing. One thing you can concede to it....The idea is "Living".

How does this translate to our HAMB community. Is it OK to have "New School" builds but be bound to traditional engines,bodies and concepts although nothing of the type really existed historically?
    Is this traditional rodding or something else?
    Is this the 21st Incarnation of traditional hot rodding?

I'll confess....this is my idea.
    I love the Early 3 springers. I love the crudeness...the 1930s workman like manner that gave birth to those creations.
    I love the polish....the refinement of late 50s Early 60s Hot Rods.......
    What if a 3 springer was built in 1964? Most importantly.....out of stuff made in '64? maybe with an old body....30's style racer body.....
    I'm not talking RR but a truly historically inspired build just out of different stuff.
    Do these concepts and concepts like them bring an aspect of new life to our hobby or is too far out of the box?

My idea may never get past that. A thought is all it is but....is it a good thought? I posted this not for "That" idea but ideas like that.
    I hope I'm clear.

woodsnwater likes this.
  2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

There are a few builds on here that resemble that idea.

Stogy and F-ONE like this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sounds like someone has been smoking the good stuff. :D

4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

5. That or some Appalachian Mountain Dew! :D

But sometimes the craziest of ideas dreamed up in a evening of recreational pursuits or sipping on locally fermented & distilled libations comes creations that boggle the mind, I say go for it! HRP

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

There's nothing to loose and plenty to gain.
    I've got the rails. The axles....The springs. The engine. The transmission. Maybe even the steering including the gear column and wheel.
    What I don't have is a body.
    Could a T cowl be used to......make a body?
    All that stuff is really destined to the scrap yard anyway. Nobody wants it. I don't even want it. Why, because I have better.
    It's a donor. It just not effective to restore.
    On the other hand, there just something about taking something that's been thrown away or destined to go over the scale at pennies for the hundred and building something greater than the sum of it's parts.
    If it does not work out....well I gave it a shot. In the process I may actually gain some skill. The start will not cost me a dime.

7. Just about any cowl would suffice, T or Dodge, heck you could easily fab up something. HRP

Deuces, F-ONE and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Sounds like a great idea, but I tend to think along those lines as well. On my O/T later 60s projects I like to play in the parts bin of the brand. My 68 C10 project is basically I was employed at GM in 68/69 and could only use what was available at the time what would I built?

F-ONE likes this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@F-ONE Sounds like a Wild Thing...Go for it and be different, build it in B&W...it sets the mood and I sure as heck hope it's going to have bias plys...;)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    F-ONE likes this.
  10. goldmountain

goldmountain

F-ONE likes this.