Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs People looking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Keith50, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

It's the free admission car shows where chain smoking overweight Bubba's and Bubbette's with 5-6 kids with baby carriages, bicycles, scooters, skate boards and large dogs show up. Shows with high admission fees like the NSRA and Goodguys fortunately weeds most of that out.

nunattax likes this.
  2. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

He will if he's not a blockhead.

3. Muttley

Muttley

If I hadn't witnessed this I might not believe it.................Summer, 1984(?)...........my Dad and I were at a Southern California car show and while walking around we ran into a bitchin' Merc that had recently been featured in Street Rodder. We walked around it for quite a while and ended up talking with the owner who was standing about fifty feet or so away from the car. In the middle of our conversation a woman climbed in the passenger side door..........we thought nothing of it (the owners back was towards the car) until he turned around and nearly had an aneurysm. He took off towards the car yelling & screaming for her to GTFO pronto. My Dad grabbed me and we got the hell out of there, I guess he didn't want to be a witness at a murder trial.

P2130349-vi.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

its not your car or running board ,so stay the hell off .

5. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Issue of respect/ or lack of it. Be it a rusted out hauler or a super nice rod/ or race car - I was taught its theirs and they worked hard for it. KEEP your hands to yourself.This kind of thing is the very reason a lot of car shows and race tracks are starting to have this problem and many are not going anymore.
    But then again I can remember going to race tracks and shows and never having to lock your stuff up either. NO I AM NOT THAT OLD. I was simply taught better by my parents - never had of fancy or store bought stuff. If it wasnt a tractor/ baler or a saw mill my dad wasnt intrested. I can remember going to the Massey/ New Holland dealership and the first words out of his mouth were stay off the tractors.
    This is the entitlement / millennial generations view to most of life. They truly believe its owed. In my day job that pays the bills, I have watched this progression / regression for 30 years. Sad but true.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  6. Some good stories- A buddy and I at a show- he in a 40 Ford PU and me in my '39 Ford Coupe- it was a very hot day- he had a cooler full of pop in the back- I walked over and started handing out pop to the group hanging about- guy said very nice of you and a very nice truck- I just said it's not mine- got some jaw drops and a few forced laughs-

loudbang likes this.
  7. I'm used to having to watch my cars diligently at shows. Growing up going with my grandfather to shows with his 33 Ford Pickup, kids would always run up and jump on the running boards to try and look inside, but the worst incident happened at the very first show I took my o/t 68 Camaro to. Just got finished getting the car back together, we are at a community event that has kinds of stuff going on besides the car show. As I sitting in a chair behind the car, two guys are looking the car over and start opening and shutting/slamming the drivers door. One guy then tells the other to take a seat. I am pissed and hop out of the chair and walk up asking what they were doing. They though the cars were okay to open and get in since they were not roped off. The kicker that was really icing on the cake was that right in front of my car was a sign from the show to not touch the cars. That same show someone keyed a buddies 53 Chevy 210. Went all the way down the side of the car.

loudbang likes this.
  8. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

People are just inconsiderate assholes.
    I,ve had kids sliding down the front fenders on my roadster while mom watched.
    Had 2 guys climb in my roadster out front of a bar.They jumped over the door.That didn,t end well.
    Had a guy banging on my coupe to see if it was real.I just asked where his wife was as I wanted to see if her tits were real.
    The list goes on and on
    If I find anyone in any of my cars now,I assume they are trying to steal it
    If you are involved in cars long enough,it will happen to you
    People only think of themselves

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

We have a large Walmart/Target near our house, near enough to be convenient.
    I parked my F100 in the front stall, didn't lock it (always do, but it was just gonna be a minute!) Came out, and some goat roper's sitting behind the wheel...
    Walk up fast, so he can't start it and take off (if he's hot wired it?) Open the door, got his arm, "Get out..." while pulling him, not gently.
    Then I reach behind the seat back, and jerk out my newly-finished 13" blade Bowie. Great big knife.
    "You mighta cut yerself," I snarled.
    The guy's eyes were big as saucers, he pulled away, and trotted off.
    I returned Bowie to its leather sheath, and tooled out... Cameras all over...that was a week ago.
    LOL After I got home, I realized I had my cane with me... one with a sword in it!
    Wife's friend: "Mike some kinda 'bad hombre'?"
    Wife: "No, he's really a knife guy..."
    Wife's getting my humor now. It rubs off...

10. hemiboy

hemiboy

This has happened to me so many times! Outcome is usually the jackwagon in your car being a total ass...
    I quit driving my cars to work (high school shop teacher), until I had a brilliant flash! (Doesn’t happen too often, believe me). I went to our local funny stuff store, bought some “plastic cat vomit and poop”. Now when I leave the car, I just put it in the seat. Problem solved. As for the hood, I took the stock handles off and replaced them with hex head bolts. Seems to be working somewhat.

loudbang and Cosmo49 like this.
  11. Nothing I wanted to do! HRP

12. Kind off topic but I have this OT 78 Dodge boogie van that I like to take to the local car sits. I bring my own shade and a comfortable place to hang, so what. It's all done up 70's style with psychedelic carpet, blacklights and blacklight posters, bean bag, flip out couch, blah blah blah so it does attracts a good bit of attention. Lots of "man does this bring back some good memories!!". Anyway, I like to bring along a stocked candy dish and I have this sign that reads "Free Candy". Most of the dads think it's hilarious. The moms not as much. Kids don't give a damn they just want a Snickers. I'll let them climb in and check it out if they are well mannered. I'll typically let kids sit in my 55 if they're cool. I've never come out to my car to see someone sitting in it. I have no idea how I'd react. Guess it depends on how cute she is. Probably never happen because you gotta give the driver's door a good yank to get it open. Sure I could adjust it, but I figure it's good deterrent.

Link to pic of van for the curious: https://i.imgur.com/VQ6R3s1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  13. topher5150

topher5150

Reading your post, and I saw the word Pop, and then I had to look at your avatar to see which part of Michigan you were from.

14. It's difficult to believe, but I believe it.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  15. 55Belairman

55Belairman

When I was younger and stupider, I drove my 55 to the grocery store to get my weekly food. I parked it away from the store and other cars. I came out to find a carpet cleaning van parked very close to the drivers side. The two "gentlemen" in the van were eating ribs and throwing the bones on my hood. I went around the passenger side to put the bags in the trunk. More bones came flying out of the window of the van landing on my car. I grabbed my tire iron and went up to the window,asking what was going on. They said they weren't doing anything. I pointed to the bones, and they said they didn't do it. I knocked the side view mirror off of the van, and put two good dents in the door before they could take off. When I got home, I called the carpet cleaning company and told them to check out van #100. I would like to have heard the story they told. Never took the 55 back to that store.

16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

way to go

17. Mahty

Mahty

Never had anyone get in my car, but a few who thought my bumper was a foot rest.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  18. ERguitar

ERguitar

Had to quit reading halfway through, I get the picture, boggles the mind the lack of self awareness and entitlement of some. Raise your kids right and lead by example is all we can do. I had a friend tell the story about a biker buddy of his who supposedly had an empty pistol holster prominently displayed on his bike, never had any body mess with his bike. Third hand story but you know......

loudbang likes this.
  19. rudestude

rudestude

I must be missing something or just unaware of something that I don't know anything about....
    Meaning: How does using the word "Pop" link you to living in a certain part of Michigan?
    I live in Oregon and I say " Pop" when referring to a "soft drink" I don't drink the stuff and I have never been anywhere near Michigan.
    Just curious I guess.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. 55Belairman

55Belairman

Different regions of the US refer to soft drinks by different names. ie: soda, soda pop. pop, and some refer to all soft drinks as Coke. I saw a map of the US with the areas defined by the word that was used. So far, I have only lived in southeast Michigan. Everyone here says pop.

21. Sadly enough it's MY generations fault for creating the millennial generation ideas of entitlement......who now is creating Generation Z. It's private property NOT public property........and you are not special.

22. Dirk35

Dirk35

I was in my 1935 Ford Pickup, stopped at a light waiting for it to turn green. A pedestrian walking along the sidewalk came up to the intersection (rough looking, mid 30's early 40's age), pushed the crosswalk button, then he just climbed onto my running board and poked his head in the window to tell me how much he liked the pickup. I was trying to turn right (so only had to wait for traffic from the left to clear) but he continued to talk. I told him thanks, but he kept talking. So I had to ask him to get off the truck so I could continue on my way. I honestly think he would have been just as happy to have me drive off with him getting a fun ride on the running board.

loudbang likes this.
  23. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Last year I was at a local cars and coffee in Palos Verdes looking at a very nice British car. I think it was a 1960's Jaguar. I see this guys with a dog walk up and the dog proceeds to lift his leg and let loose on the nice chrome bumper for about 10 seconds. I was so shocked I just stood there and finally told the dog owner what just happened. He said that's ok it's my car.

alchemy, belair and loudbang like this.
  24. Funny you mention that, I was a show with my 68 Camaro and a dog walked up and lifted its leg to start peeing on my trim ring. Luckily the dogs owner quickly grabbed the dog just as it started to happen, apologized and gave me a few bucks for cleaning. Was surprised a dog did this, I always worry about cats doing that.

25. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Yeah but, other in the movies, who the hell leaves car keys on the visor?

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Lifting the leg to pee on tires is a standard male dog procedure.
    You shouldn’t be surprised by that.

Male cats flip the tail up and spray to mark territory.

Dogs may be a mans best friend but cats won’t rat you out on where you keep your stash :D

Boneyard51 and prpmmp like this.
  27. prpmmp

prpmmp

Good one!!! Pete

28. well i was surprised, never had a dog or been around a dog that would think of peeing on a tire. Cats though have ruined a few aluminum wheels and a polished 6-71 blower case.

29. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We were a a large car museum , two women with 3 kids at foot and one in a stroller . Two kids were climbing into a car on display pretending to drive it, I called out to get them out. The mum says” Oh there is no sign to say you need to keep off”. So many signs say keep off , but apparently if there is no sign its OK to use the cars as playground equipment. Ignorance ain’t bliss . There were 2 or 3 vehicles that were designed to be played on by kids.

30. Leadheavy52

Leadheavy52

Had a ‘52 Styleline Deluxe as a DD for many years in my youth. I worked at Hollywood Video at the time and almost weekly had to go out and ask people not to try to get in. One day a co-worker of mine tells me there is a dude in my car, sitting in the seat. I go out and this doofus is trying to figure out the three-on-the-tree transmission. I shouted at him to kindly get out, with a threat of violence, and he got up and moved pretty quick. Left the damn thing in neutral.
    Never in my life could I imagine just getting into someone’s car, old or not, and fucking around freely. When my boys and I go to shows they know better. That is the one cardinal rule they’ve learned since birth. Not your property, not your life, then leave it all well alone. I have never seen them so much as get close enough to a car at a show to breath on it. It’s about respect for me. Respect for hard work and pride.

-Austin

Runnin shine likes this.