Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47-54 Chevy trucks- side mirror alternatives

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jun 21, 2019.

1. We’re not liking the original stockers on this one and are Looking for alternatives.
    Post up some pics and what mirrors you used. Thanks

2. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Good thread. I'm looking for options to run when pulling a camper.

3. I like the clip on peep mirrors, but forget about towing with them. I run a pair on my OT 78 Dodge van.
    51dabZEYlhL._SL1000_.jpg

4. squirrel

squirrel

If you're doing a camper, this is the only way to fly! My 59 truck had something like this on it when I got it 40+ years ago, and it had a camper shell, as well.

but seriously, it's hard to beat the stockers for looks and function. Little short peep mirrors just don't work very well.

:)

mirror.jpg

5. Depends where you place them. I can back a 20' van into a parking space with zero rearward visibility from out of the cab with just the driver's side peep mirror. Knowing the dimensions of your vehicle is important!
    But again, they're not gonna work for towing.

6. AF224CFC-A338-4E25-B0B7-3F7EE6D663F1.jpeg
    I have the stock mirrors & Nobody liked them.
    Asymmetrical and dumboesqe.
    But since I Need to drill holes too thru the paint and can just do it once,,, well

No campers, maybe a utility trailer once in a while. Just an an eye pleasing period appropriate functioning side mirror.

There’s a lot of pics of these trucks without any side mirrors.

Oh and like everything else with this truck ,,,
    Nobody thought of mirrors before painting it. I have no idea if there’s holes in the cowl or not, but there should be. And the door gaps will not allow peeps -otherwise it would get peeps and be out of my hair without bothering you guys.

I’m gonna hang my elbow out the damn window too

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

in my world pretty much the only mirrors for these trucks are the stock ones.

F-ONE likes this.
  8. I Kind of like these.
    EF763BB8-92B6-488A-85AB-E028A41695B2.jpeg 6AD22DF6-E17A-4F17-AD5C-630D8D780602.jpeg

Chavezk21, F-ONE and Rich S. like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

that would look nice on the driver side, but leave it off the pass side, since it won't actually let you see anything. Unless you twist it or something. At least, hold the mirror in place and have the owner sit in the truck and see how well it works, before drilling any holes

31Vicky with a hemi and F-ONE like this.
  10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Those look really nice.

I really like the cowl arms on these. I wonder if painted arms and heads (copper like the truck) or black with a square head instead of the round?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've always thought the original cowl mirrors were a nice look for these.
    I know the truck is monchromic but maybe some of that original utility will be a good look.
    One thing for certain....
    Anything is better than the modern "Euro Look".

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

mirrors styled like peep mirror shown above come with a slightly larger mirror, with straight arms - with one longer than the other - use longer on passenger side - can use without the clamp system by using screw hole at base of arm and drilling hole through door frame and screw down with star type washer

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I never liked them hanging off the side so I just hooked a couple of peeps on the top edge.

[​IMG][​IMG]

ekimneirbo likes this.
  13. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I know we all like traditional stuff, but I have to admit I do like to be able to see other vehicles in other lanes when driving. My SUV (Sorry) has one of those rear view cameras . The camera also shows the right hand side of the vehicle and right lane when I put the turn signal on. Might be a way to make one of those cameras work and look like there is no mirror. Maybe get the wireless kind and put them in the little rolled tube at the top of the bed.

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm a fan of the swan style mirrors. Don't know how they'd look on a truck, but they are pretty period correct for a lot of vehicles from the 30's to the early 50's. I put a set on my car and they look like they were made for it.

15. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig
    from Ocala FL

The swan necks work well on both sides, BUT if you want to see you will need to remove the heads that come with them and install the heads from Fatties, they allow a panoramic view.

16. 48stude

48stude

I like the peep mirrors. My gaps around my doors are not wide enough for the clamp , so I cut a notch in the door edge to allow them to fit. I use a convex stick-on on the mirror for the passengers side. Bill
    [​IMG]

17. A cut in the edge is what’s needed on this one.
    Finished paint work and cutting are problematic together.

18. 48stude

48stude

I'm a knowin' what you're a meanin'. Bill