Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical looking for pics of "32 Ford Roadster front rails , shorted and braced front rails

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldbanger71, Jun 20, 2019.

1. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

Hi fellow HAMBers,
    i'm looking for pic's and proposals for my "32 Ford Roadster front rails shorted and braced.

I have swapped the standard shockmounts left to right to get place for my headlights.
    ( aaand no....... , i like and keep my e&J's :rolleyes:;) )
    I need to brace between the frontrails to get rid of flexing the rails and want to shorten them.
    I realized that suspension flex was much less, while the shockmounts where standard.
    Normal road's is fine, but hiway-speed , all is pretty wobbley....
    Any proposals are wellcome. DSC_0883.jpg

2. mohead1

mohead1

Do you have a cross member under the engine area of the frame.....ahead of the trans cross member?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

No cross member under the engine. There is the standard crossmember gearbox area and and the other standard cross member below the radiator, but since the shockmounts are just bevor the grillshell, the rails can flex ....

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  4. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are the shock mounts simply bolted to the frame rails or do you have some backing plates or large washers to spread the load over the frame?

F1 style mounts with welded bungs mounted in the rearward position can be worked out of the frame rails. Longer bungs / inserts that pick up on boxing plates (or top and bottom of the rails - ideally both and boxed too) stops this.

A closeup pic of your install might help with responses?

Chris

5. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

Here are more detail pic's.
    There is only a 0.31 "thick plate inside the frontrails, that is bolted together with the shockmounts.

I intend to build a full hight heavy C- section that fits the inside of the rail, which uses the two holes on top of the rails plus the two from the shockmounts and one or two from below, with welded in nuts and then connect the two rails with a welded on tube that is bend in the shape of the radiator. This way i don't change the rails to much for now. In case it works the way i want, i still can chop the exessive rails, back to the fabricated brace...

Attached Files: