Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Whose still racing at their hometown airports?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jandiel, Jun 20, 2019.

1. jandiel

jandiel
    from Lillooet

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Kingdon - Lodi, CA Kingdon Drags 2011 026 (Small).jpg Kingdon Drags-10-09 005 (Small) (2).jpg Kingdon 2013 - Mickey Grove - Galt Market - Sac 080 (Small).jpg Kingdon 2013 - Mickey Grove - Galt Market - Sac 079 (Small).jpg Kingdon 2013 - Mickey Grove - Galt Market - Sac 078 (Small).jpg Kingdon 2013 - Mickey Grove - Galt Market - Sac 040 (Small).jpg Kingdon 2013 - Mickey Grove - Galt Market - Sac 036 (Small).jpg

Deuces likes this.
  3. Racing every Sunday at...speedys.dragstrip.... Newport

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not racing per se, but I did pick up a buddy at PDX last week and did a nice line-loc burn out under the glass canopy in the rag top Olds out side baggage claim. :cool:

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

The airport police are looking for you .:D

Deuces, Hnstray and Bandit Billy like this.
  6. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Atlantic Iowa started this last year

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since they park at the south end it does make it a bit challenging. I usually just point at a tuner and shake my head in disgust, after all I drive an an Oldsmobile!

8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Ft. Hunter Ligget, CA...1978. (U.S. Army) We had a landing field that was turned into a drag strip that we would run our cars on. We had a tree and had to follow "some" rules.

9. spanners

spanners

Over here it's about all I race at. Race reports on the HA/GR forum.

10. big john d

big john d
    from ma

have raced at winterport dragway in maine with gassah guys 1/8 mile lot of fun went to orange dragstrip reunion in sterling mass at the airport 330 nationals i am not a good spectator but it was a blast will have my car there next year

11. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

There were flashlight drags at the airport here (Zelienople,PA.), but the FAA said no more.

12. not my hometown, but only a few minutes away, Firebaugh, Ca - Eagle Field [​IMG]

BigMike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jalopy Joker and sdluck like this.
  13. Sod Buster

Sod Buster

The old B-29 strip in Great Bend Kansas is still going strong.
    City of Great Bend acquired the B29 Army Air Force Base from the military after it was declared surplus in 1946.

The first race was held May 12, 1953. Sunflower Rod and Custom Association (SRCA) was formed January 19, 1954, and joined NHRA in April 1955.
    The Great Bend Chamber of Commerce on behalf of SRCA wrote a letter to Wally Parks requesting that Great Bend, KS be the site for the FIRST National Event. NHRA said YES and this race would establish the official acceleration records for stand and start quarter mile racing.
    The first nationals started with 219 cars and 15,000 spectators. Art Chrisman ran 146.16 MPH and Lloyd Scott set a new speed record for American drag racing at 151 MPH. In 1956, the one year old AHRA said they would like to have their first National event at Great Bend on the 8000 foot long track and did so until 1959.
    Don Garlits won his first National title in 1958 driving Swamp Rat and Chris Karamesines won over Eddie Hill in 1959. In 1960 the President of AHRA moved the event to Kansas City International Raceway.

The club ran races after that and as time went on they slowly fell away from running the track and disbanded. In 1993 the club reorganized and went back to the original name of Sunflower Rod and Custom Association. They did this to help in maintaining the track. It was pursued to have it recognized as a Kansas Historical Site and in 1994 was successful. At the same time the track went back to its original name of SRCA Dragstrip, for which it is registered. The facility is now eligible to be registered nationally. In 2000 the track was resurfaced with a grant from KDOT. In 2003 a new Compu-Link timing system was installed with new timing scoreboards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Jalopy Joker and Malcolm like this.