Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT - Car transport West to East Coast

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wannabewannabe, Jun 12, 2006.

1. wannabewannabe

wannabewannabe

Here's the story guys.

I'm moving from San Francisco Bay Area to New York City in August (not sure of the exact date yet) to start law school. The place I'm going to be moving into is furnished, so I'm not taking too much shit with me, just my clothes, dishes, bicycle, and a TV. That's certainly not enough for a moving truck, not even really a trailer. And I'll have sold my car by then. I was thinking about renting a car to make the drive, but it is fairly expensive.

So here are my thoughts. Anyone on the board moving from the West to East coast this summer that needs to transport a car across the country but they don't want to pay to transport it and they don't have the time or desire to drive it themselves? I would be willing to drive it across the country, paying my own way for gas and such, so you get your car across the country for free and I have a way to move my stuff that is easier and safer than shipping it. Even if you're not moving to NYC, I would be willing to take the car elsewhere on the East Coast as long as you didn't mind me taking to NY first to drop off my stuff.

If anyone has any interest in this, just post on this thread or send me a PM with your info and we can talk.

Hope this isn't too OT for the board, so if not, let's see if we can work something out.

2. racer756

racer756

What a swell idea. I dont think it would be out of place to ask them for a credit card and their check book also. a current social security card never hurts. Some nice family heirlooms and new computer would not be out of question either, Traveling with their family pet would also be cool.

Dont be afraid to ask.

3. wannabewannabe

wannabewannabe

Hey man, I'm asking for a lot less than any transport company would.

And I am serious. If you're interested, I welcome you to talk to me to see that I'm not a creep and have a clean driving record. You can DMV search me if you like.

4. wannabewannabe

wannabewannabe

5. wannabewannabe

wannabewannabe

6. wannabewannabe

wannabewannabe

One last bump up. I know I'm writing to a limited crew here, but no interest at all?

7. Leon

Leon

Have you tried the car transport companies? I know a guy that got cross country that way as a paid employee since they didn't have to pay someone to fly back. Worth a try...

8. wannabewannabe

wannabewannabe

Thanks Leon. In doing a cursory search in the online yellow pages, it seems like most of the transport companies just truck the cars across, and I'm no truck driver. On the other hand, I did find one company that specializes in driveaways, which is pretty much what I'm looking for. I just thought I'd give the ole HAMB a shot given the community spirit here.