Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Getting the lines right....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hfh, Apr 27, 2018.

1. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_2504.JPG Then I made a casting using silicone, which would conform to the shape of the grille shell, and taped it to the shell. Now I have to make another bondo mold of the bent logo, and from that a casting of the bent logo in metal. I might use pewter since I think I can melt it in my outdoor grille.

kidcampbell71, Cosmo50, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  2. Erwin

Erwin

It works alright. I wonder if this' a first.

3. Very cool idea. If you get the desired results you should post it up on the next tech week thread. I’ll keep watching.

Stogy likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

5. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_2610.JPG I decided that the v-8 logo looked too big on the grille shell, so I mounted it back on the grille bars. I am finally working on making the hood.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

I really like the way this turned out, nice work.

Bob

Stogy and hfh like this.
  7. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Glad to see you are making progress.

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good call on the V8 Badge...you know what they say...you know if it's right when you see it...

It looked to large to me as well...you have a cool Hotrod there @hfh...enjoying your transformation...and it's great your on the road as well...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  9. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I think the third picture is about right. Don't know about reaching a vanishing point with this particular car though. The hood needs to continue the same line or plane as the cowl, and it appears to do that and be slose to parallel to the ground. I think that looks great just like it is. Don't know if its just the ground its sitting on, or the blocks under the front end, but I think just a hair lower in front.....but it still looks great right now.

10. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_2614.JPG I don't know if this is the best way to make the hood parts but I started with a piece of cardboard that was almost the right shape.

Stogy likes this.
  11. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_2616.JPG Then to that I added smaller, more easily cut pieces to get the edges to fit the grille and cowl. I will trace this pattern on the sheet metal and attempt to cut accurately.

kidcampbell71, brEad, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I buy scrap metal....called off fall from a local metal supply warehouse. If you buy aluminum or sheet metal, they have a type of cardboard that's more like a thick sheet of paper. Probably about .030 thick is my guess. I think it would really work well for making a pattern as it's pliable and doesn't have the corrugated stuff. Since you need to buy sheet metal for the hood, you might check and see if your metal supply store has some. It's free when I buy sheetmetal.

hfh and Fabber McGee like this.
  13. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

My brother was shop foreman in a local industrial sheet metal fabrication shop. Every pallet of metal had a cover sheet top and bottom. They wouldn't use them because they had dirt and grit on them the would dull the blades on their shears and wear out the rest of the machine. Metal supplier didn't charge for them and they were free to customers for the asking.

14. scratch

scratch

I helped restore one of these Rileys back in the eighties and as someone else said on here grilles over here are not that hard to find, I had never thought about putting one on a hot rod ....looks absolutely superb well done.

kidcampbell71, Stogy and hfh like this.
  15. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

It's been a lot of fun trying to get the Riley grille to look at home on a model A roadster. I think the shapes and lines in this grille are very nice. I like the way it works with my windshield. I don't think it would be as nice with an original windshield. I think it really needs hood tops to connect it to the rest of the car and I think the center hinge will be an important part of that connection. But I'm just enjoying bending the rules for making a traditional hot rod.

kidcampbell71, Tman, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  16. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_2687.JPG IMG_2686.JPG Back to using my strings again. Working on louvers today.

brEad, kidcampbell71, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  17. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I like the grill with the V8 emblem. The grill and windshield go together nicely and tie into the coach line on the cowel. It almost calls for 33 curved louvers in the sides of the hood just my 2cts worth. I would like to have a Riley grill for my 29. Frank

Stogy, hfh and The37Kid like this.
  18. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Thank you Frank. I hope you can find a grille for your car. It's been lots of fun getting the grille on mine. Driving it with the hood tops made it overheat on a hot day last week, which is why I need to see if the louvers will help on that problem.

Stogy likes this.
  19. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

IMG_2345.JPG IMG_2344.JPG IMG_1575.JPG IMG_1251.JPG What temperature did it run before. My tub runs around 180 in traffic and the electric fam turns on and it cools down on the toad it runs about 165 to 170 with a full hood. I have new Drake pumps on mine. When the fan spindle broke and the fan ate the radiator when I was running 75 MPH it came thru the radiator and out the front. I had it recored at a shop that does over the road and heavy equipment radiators because most of the radiator shops now can only crimp plastic Tank's on. That's why electric fan. Here is what I used. Frank

20. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_1799.JPG IMG_2691.JPG IMG_2688.JPG
    Frank, that's a nice tub that you have. From your pictures I can't see that you have any louvers. It's great that your engine runs that cool. I think I need to drive mine a bit more and to be more scientific before I panic. ( I think I like the look better with no louvers).My old gauge might not be that accurate. To use the Riley grille I needed to have a smaller than standard radiator made. I think the fan is 16" in diameter and it is set to come on at 185. I also have an airscoop to direct air to the bottom of the radiator. The fan does come on when I am in traffic or climbing a long hill but it does not run when I am moving down the road.

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  21. pitman

pitman

If you need more cooling capacity, a box-like 'shroud' w/aft-hinged (top edge), flaps would draw thru the rad. but may mean rearward 2-3" move for the juice fan. Think: rectangular radiator core-size funnel, that reduces to round & pours into the fan.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    kidcampbell71, Stogy and 1-SHOT like this.
  22. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Thank you Pitman. That's a great idea. Great description!

pitman and Stogy like this.
  23. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

No louvers , and I agree with Pitman about the fan shroud. You need to pull Air thru the whole surface area of the radiator , not just the fan area. Have you got the newer style water pumps on it?

Stogy likes this.
  24. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

HFH, I love just about everything you've done to this car. You've created a truly unique look and it's in no small part due to the attention to detail and eye for proportion.
    The only criticism I have is for the splash pan. IMHO it detracts from the grille's beauty and the "face" of the car in general. Cowcatcher keeps coming to mind. As some others have suggested the flow would be cleaner with bobbed frame horns and a much smaller pan.
    I get 3 cents back from my nickel now.

hfh likes this.
  25. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Thank you Frank. I do want to learn to make my own louvers but maybe not on this hood. It would be good to change the water pumps as they have been on there for 20 years.

26. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Thank you Jack for your comments. I agree about the "cowcatcher" similarity. I didn't want to alter a nice old frame until I am sure about what I am doing. I need to live with it and look at it and when the time is right I will tear it apart and try another idea. It is all fun for me and I don't expect to ever finish it. I do think that the shell is slightly small for the rest of the car so surrounding it with the hood and short sides helps. At least for now.

27. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

My radiator is 16 in. Wide and 18 in. Tall which makes 288 square inches and it's 2 in. Thick makeing a total of 576 cubic in of cooling, in a 29 model A shell. Do the measure of yours and see how it compares to mine. Frank

Stogy likes this.
  28. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

The new pumps have a better impeller design

29. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Look at the pictures of old cars they all have some sort of apron on hideing the uglies. Personally I like yours.

Stogy likes this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Cow Catcher...I hate that jab myself...is just a part of the soul of these type of cars...Bobbing the horns was done back in the day but was a preference as many were running horns forward shrouded and not so...

In a mechanical sense the shrouded Horns probably channel cooling air right into the rad for better cooling...

I see moving forward hood sides and selective addition of louvers to bring your Hotrod into a more finalized configuration...and you have a pretty good handle on things to date...
    Very much enjoying the journey from this vantage point @hfh

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    hfh likes this.