Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 65th Long Beach Model T Club Swap Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Hood, May 31, 2019.

1. Jeff Hood

Jeff Hood

July 20, 2019 – 65th Annual Long Beach Model T Club Vintage and Classic Parts Exchange

Saturday July 20, 2019 from 7:00Am until it’s over. One of the oldest and best old Ford and old car swap meets in the west. Open to all makes and models, automotive and hobby related items only. Long Beach City College Veterans Stadium, 5000 Lew Davis St. Long Beach, CA. $5 Admission, Free Parking. Spaces are 20ft wide and 16ft deep. $40 each or 3 for $100. Call Jeff Hood 562-597-5936 www.lbmtc.com

jnaki and GuyW like this.
  2. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

I started going to this when I was a kid and living near Long Beach,CA back in the late 1970s. This is a great annual tradition and is one of the few real "old car" swap meets left. Hopefully I can make it back to SoCal one year and attend again. Cheers to the LBMTC!

3. Can't wait....

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Only went once, it was great! 1975 Bought a 1956 Ford F100 in Anaheim, bought a bunch of Winfields at the swap meet and drove home to Connecticut in five days. Love to do that again. Bob

5. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Went there in 1960. I think it was at a park.

jnaki likes this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-6-20_3-5-15.png
    Hello,

Thanks for posting the notice. Wow…it has been 65 years? My brother and I went to #4 in 1958 and kept going yearly until 1960. Then my family kept going until #21. I have to say, it is one of the best on the West Coast. The locations have moved with the times. (PCH Hamilton Bowl? Then is was a short drive away from our house and high school, or Los Alamitos?)

This one is located (at the Veteran’s Stadium) near the Long Beach Airport, LB City College (owns the stadium) and on two major highways (Lakewood Blvd & Carson St.…near the Lew Davis entrance) It is right in the middle of the 710 freeway to the West, the 91 to the North, the 405 to the South and 605 freeway to the East. So, freeway close from anywhere in the So Cal region or long distance drives.

We used to think that the monthly Veteran’s Stadium Swap Meet was the in the top 3 until the commercialization started. That is what we thought ruined the idea of an actual swap meet. The Model T Club’s swap meet has been mostly parts from garages and storage yards when we stopped going.

At any rate, the location is one of the West Coast’s best locations and there is plenty of parking. If we happen to be in the area, it may become old home weekend, again.

Jnaki

In the old days, the famous, Douglas Aircraft Surplus Yard was located just around the corner from the Veteran’s Stadium on Carson St. These days, it is a huge outdoor area of shops and dining choices… “The Hangar” in the Long Beach Exchange Retail location.

7. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

I was born and raised near Long Beach. Those flyers above predate my experience by a few years but not much. By the mid-1970s I was a kid going to all the SoCal swap meets.

I remember going to Cars of the Stars Museum whose parking lot would frequently be used by many of the local car clubs (Early Times, CHVA, etc) as a swap meet venue. I remember the Big Three in San Diego when it was at the El Cajon shopping mall and later at the El Cajon(?) airport before being moved to the Stadium. Vet's Stadium in Long Beach would host the Model A Restorer's Club Swap Meet in January which was usually the first swap meet of the year. The Pomona Fairgrounds would be the site for several Model A Club swap meets and, of course, in later years would be the home for the George Cross' Pomona Swap Meet and the LA Roadsters. The Rose Bowl Automotive Swap meets were also really good. The SoCal Horseless Carriage Club had swap meets in Pomona and later Vet's Stadium.

Of course, the Long Beach Model T Club had the biggest and best swap meet in SoCal 'back in the day. I remember starting as a kid at the "Dust Bowl" and later moving to Long Beach College and again to Vet's Stadium. I was a member of the club during the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Then there were the famous RG Canning indoor hotrod shows at the Long Beach Arena.

Does anyone else remember Walter Drew and his famous yellow magazine Antique Motor News? It was the monthly bible for SoCal car collectors. Antique Motor News also ran the automotive Rosebowl Swap meets twice a year.

There were lots of great times at these events.

Too bad we did not have our current digital/online devices to record these memories.

Attached Files:

jnaki likes this.
  9. wewaitingfor

wewaitingfor

Damn, college stadium, and when will the new T CLUB SWAP MEET be, does anyone know? And I didn’t have time for it, but it’s very interesting to see what and how it will be there, especially if there will be something like this, like a Ford - that’s all class. I missed one lesson because I worked with https://writix.co.uk/personal-statement-help manager, therefore, it didn’t work out, I really want this year.
    I hope to get there, because I work this summer at the personal statement writing service company in Los Angeles, I would really like to get there

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    chriseakin likes this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

What is the date for 2020? Bob

11. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Bob- Here it is.
    I know I say this every year, but I would really like to be able to attend this year. We'll see.

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 2.54.37 PM.png

Attached Files:

12. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been the last few years. I'll put it on the calendar for this year as well.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks GZ! Month earlier than in the old days. Sure would be fun out and back weekend. Bob

14. Again, can't wait. The Big 3 is the start of swapmeet season......gotta try Turlock.

lumpy 63 likes this.