Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 33/34 Ford Coupe Bucket Seats?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CAHotRodBoy, Jun 19, 2019.

1. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Starting to work on my '34 three window in preparation for a drive around the country this fall. I need to change my seat. It currently has a stock seat (see photo below) but it is quite hard and I know my skinny butt is going to get pretty sore after a couple hundred miles. Also, the seat back is not adjustable so I'm stuck in one driving position all the time.

I'd like to replace them with a pair of buckets that have some side bolster support and an adjustable back but still look somewhat traditional. I've looked online at all the common aftermarket sport seat companies like Corbeau, Recaro, etc and can only find high back seats that won't look right. They also all seam to have too wide seat bottom. As some of you know, the coupes are pretty narrow, especially right at the front of the seats.

Any suggestions on seat companies or maybe what car would have good take out seats that would fit? Maybe something like the second photo below but with reclining and tilt forward backs (so I can access the space behind the seats for storage). Thanks.

IMG_5009 (Small).JPG 18058FBD-0601-4641-8FE4-300D2EAFE63C (Small).jpeg

2. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Procar makes some pretty retro looking seats.

3. swifty

swifty

65 and 66 Mustang buckets will fit but don't have the back adjustment that you want. Mustangs were cheap in the 60's My wife's 33-5 window has buckets from an 80's Aussie Falcon and they fit fine. They have a removable headrest so the one on my side got tossed, Missus likes the one on her side. They also have a back adjustment knob. Her new Mustang has removable headrests and all the adjustment you could want but may look a bit too modern for your 34.

4. distributorguy

distributorguy
    from MN

Are you on Instagram? Look up a fellow named Jamey Jordan. He makes custom bomber seats you can add some padding to. Pick your back angle, width, etc... Very affordable given the high quality.

5. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Yeah, I don't think the older Mustang seats would be too comfortable for a long haul. I'll check out the later Mustang seats. If I can remove the headrests then they might not look too bad. I'm actually not too concerned about looks for my trip. I can always run some comfortable ones for the trip and then swap them back out for something more traditional when I get home.

6. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Thanks. I'm not on instagram but maybe someone I know is and can look him up for me. Any idea where in the country he is located?

7. 37gas

37gas

your original seat is just to cool to change have your upholstery guy redo your seat to fit your butt. if he is any good he should be able to fix the springs so they are comfortable for you, I have done this many times. if you buy bucket seats your going to have them redone anyways and they just don't look good in that kind of car. My guy could fix the spring or build foam seats to fit you and use the same seat covers you have on them. If your guy can't fix them get a different guy

SquintBoy likes this.
  8. evintho

evintho

I like these. Copied from another post. '97 Lincoln Mark VIII front seats. I'm sure they're power seats which could easily be adapted or mount them on generic sliders. Not sure of the width but looks like mounted side by side they may fit. Also, you can see the headrests have been removed. Just my $.02.

[​IMG]

9. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Didn't even think that was an option. I don't have an upholstery guy though. I live in a very rural area so will have to hunt one down somewhere in Reno or maybe drive over to Sac / northern CA somewhere. Do you think an upholstery guy could make the seat back recline/adjustable? I guess if they can make it comfortable enough in a fixed position I wouldn't need to adjust it (other than getting access behind it. Right now I can just remove the seat back to get behind it).

10. swifty

swifty

37gas has a good suggestion here. If you can get an upholstery guy to replace the padding in your seats they should be a lot more comfortable for you. Even though she has an adjustable bucket seat my wife has a pillow she puts between her back and the seat back and I have some mates who carry various cushions to put under their legs or in the small of their back for long trips. Do a test run with a pile of cushions and pillows and see what you can come up with, after all, being a hot rodder (not a street rodder) you have to sacrifice comfort for looks.

SquintBoy likes this.