Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Hard to fix stupid or ugly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pats55, Jun 14, 2019.

1. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I honestly like what you have done to it, and would probably leave it alone.

Automotive Stud, Stogy and Hnstray like this.
  2. catdad49

catdad49

This is the One! My Mom would say, "What's All that noise?"My answer, "That's The Avanti!" 63 R2 Avanti Engine.jpg 63 R2 Avanti.jpg

Stogy, Boneyard51, kiwijeff and 5 others like this.
  3. How about a '60 Edsel front end? :cool:

Deuces likes this.
  4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

• I can't say I was ever an Avanti fan, but it was a limited production car, and therefore, not a lot of people bought them. From that point alone, I think they're worth more "stock" than "modified". What do you want to get out of it when you're finally "done" with it? Personally, I've always liked the mostly "stock" appearance of most production cars, with a little owner installed modifications (like wheel, tires, paint, interior, power-train, etc). But leave the body "stockish". I know a lot of guys will say, it's your car, do what you want, but what about after you're gone (we have to be realistic here after all-we all die). Then what? Will your family carry on your "vision", or just sell it to be done with it? How is it worth more, stock or modified? Only YOU can make that decision. Only YOU! I think you know how I feel. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Stogy, Boneyard51 and Deuces like this.
  5. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

The Avanti is an unusual looking car, but I never considered it ugly. I like your modification, it's different but not over done. I think it would look pretty cool with chrome trim in the light recesses, but that's about it.

Stogy, Boneyard51 and dana barlow like this.
  6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Like the old saying..” beauty is in the eye of the beholder” ! Everybody likes something, nobody likes everything! I myself always though the Avanties were very special looking, that is really stood out! I didn’t peticulaly like them nor dislike them. But that’s why there are a hundred different styles of cars. Different strokes for different folks!

Bones

Stogy and Deuces like this.
  7. I liked the hidden lights/door suggestion, then I saw this. Makes more sense a'la '67-'69 T-bird or '66-'67 Charger with "sucker mouth" grille and flip-up doors.

Stogy likes this.
  8. 34Phil

34Phil

Monza lights[​IMG]

9. rudestude

rudestude

I always thought that the Superbird/Daytona nose and tail would look interesting also, as mentioned earlier. 15609771763815350325041242475714.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces and hrm2k like this.
  10. If I had an Avanti I think that stock would do me just fine and if I didn't like it I would just find another car. Avantis are easy enough to peddle and they bring good money.

Stogy likes this.
  11. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Thank you for all the replies. I have been thinking lately putting it back to original. Since I had a heart attack, diabetes and Agent Orange the promised land may not be too far off and I should think of getting my affairs in order. I can proudly say that 50 years of working on old cars I have never made a dime. I made a couple of bucks hawking paint and the Avanti has paid for itself hundred times over. Do any of you guys wives subtly ask you what your cars are worth just in case.lol

Deuces and catdad49 like this.
  12. Dirk35

Dirk35

You could add a trim piece like a Corvair has, and change the headlights out to some that have a chrome bezel to break up the body panel on the front end.

Corvair 3.jpg Corvair.jpg Corvair 2.jpg
    Corvair 3.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  13. Deuces

Deuces

I've seen an unrestored '64 go for 9k on mecums today....

OLSKOOL57 and Pats55 like this.
  14. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Restored originals are bringing in some serious money. Connors motorcars in Pennsylvania has sold a few of them for some pretty good money. They haven't moved in value for 30 years and now they are starting to climb. I helped my friend untangle some spark plug wires He is a bodyman and I told him when I die to put it back to original. He said he could hardly wait

blowby likes this.
  15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

upload_2019-6-21_16-36-11.jpeg

The front was never the Avanti's best styling feature, imo. I don't think yours looks any worse. I go with the emblem though.

16. 'Mo

'Mo

Not stupid, OR ugly...just needs tweaking.
    Lose the gap between the lights, and open up the scoop.

(Thanks to themoose for his tremendous Photoshop skills.)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Deuces likes this.