Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Beaters are Neater! or The LA Roadsters Rule!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TERPU, Jun 19, 2019.

1. TERPU

TERPU

While I rarely post on here anymore and I'm pretty much just a Lurker I was inspired this morning to say thank you to the LA Roadster Club for putting on a GREAT show last weekend.

Everyone I talked with was stoked and happy that the show had come back to its former glory. They made everyone feel welcome and even the Beaters were allowed into the show area for roadsters. I was elated to be let through the gate and get "the" Sticker. I would have been perfectly happy parking in the swap, but going through "the" Gate is always special.

As I walked around the roadsters there was a great mix of Old School with some very sanitary New School stuff. Admittedly I favor the Beater side of our Hobby, I do have shiny cars too but crusty just makes me giddy. I put 500 miles on this gem this weekend, saw a great bunch of friends, and had an exceptional Father's Day. Winner weekend for sure.

Sherm thanks for capturing my Joy!

Thank you LA Roadsters you are #1. The smile you see below hasn't faded yet Screenshot_20190618-220017_Samsung Internet.jpg .

- Tim Screenshot_20190618-220017_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ranchero59, ffr1222k, KKrod and 24 others like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

3. deucemac

deucemac

You are right, my heart was full when I saw ol' Dad's deuce roadster finally parked among the other roadsters . Primer spots and all! I'm sure Gray was smiling down on it. Thanks to the SheldonS for preserving her!

Hyfire, Jim Bouchard, tofords and 4 others like this.
  4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

From the photos I've seen, it sure looks like an event that's worth attending! Glad to see 'beaters' are let in now, too. My kind of cars!

5. Yeah, glad to see the club taking back over and allowing the unfinished cars through the gate. HRP

Jim Bouchard, tofords and catdad49 like this.
  6. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I've seen may comments online regarding how the event had "slipped" in the past few years and how happy everyone is it's getting back to how it was.
    For someone who's never been, could someone explain what had changed to make it not as good as years past? I've been wanting to go for a time now and am glad to hear that when I finally do, it'll be worth the trip.

tofords likes this.
  7. I watched a Youtube clip of the show from this weekend, and noticed a "primer-spotted" roadster in the show. Immediately thought of Baskerville's car not being let in, years ago. Read about that in a magazine. I'm glad that that rule has lightened up a bit; but I wouldn't want to see it go to the full other side, and open it to the rat style build.

8. Overtime the event had been upgrade to almost a "Goodgoys" type event with a new promoter.
    The Fairground is big with some pavilions at were never used for LARS but used for GNRS. Too much space.

Also there was a section where there were awnings that Hotrod vendors would setup under. What whatever reason they were torn down and all those vendors moved into the Pavilion- the whole thing got stretched out way to big to walk.
    One year it was a mad house of EZ go scooters, rediculous!

All the Roadsters were not bunched up together like previously. Also they started charging for the Nice Roadster owners to drive it, which was free for many,many years.
    As far as ratrody roadsters, the few I saw were not the overly guady ones, the just happen to have flat paint. 2-3 at best. Nothing like crap with doo-hickey and chatch galore. Just straight up roadsters.

New it is more condensed together, I beleive there was less Show vendors, but still a good amount of Swapmeet vendors.
    All the Roadsters are in one big locations like before.

All the Nice specialty parking is together, mind you maybe pre75?? I some later Chevy trucks in the mix. and some 70's stuff but very few.

Security for the old regime sucked also, this was back to the relaxed style, meaning you can ride your bike in the swap area.

I also didn’t mention the Roadsters members were there helping people at the gates and getting to swaps spots. It was really nicely done.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    tofords and Malcolm like this.
  9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That car was in the show last year.

tofords likes this.
  10. tofords

tofords

Thank you to all that attended the show this year, we are very grateful for your support, we sold over 1250 swap spots this year. We know with out you there would be no show. Thanks Frank

teach'm, Ranchero59, ffr1222k and 9 others like this.
  11. The pictures that I've seen posted looked like a show to see.

Ranchero59 likes this.
  12. Our first time this year and was blown away with the show and are now thinking of traveling back from NZ next year for round two. A big thanks to all those that had a hand in putting it on. :D:D JW

deadbeat likes this.
  13. TERPU

TERPU

No Way, Thank you all! Best Run of the year for me.

14. deucemac

deucemac

We are all grateful for the vendors, swappers, preferred parking cars, and the roadsters. Without them coming back in droves, all that would have been there is a huge empty parking lot with trains on one side. I'm glad that all of us put our faith in the LA Roadsters being able to turn it back in the right direction! It was a marvelous "gathering of the clans" as it were. I plan on attending until I reach room temperature and horizontal!