Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 AMC Rambler Cross Country Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustymopar, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Rustymopar

Rustymopar

Let me start off by saying I'm a Mopar and Mustang guy. My wife had to have this 59 Rambler wagon she saw at a car show. Well...... It runs and drives however upon getting it home, something gave out in the drive shaft tube or rear. I can hear the shaft spinning inside shaft tube but no movement.
    How in the hail do I get the shaft tube off to look at ujoints or connection points. I cant find anything online and Facebook AMC pages are too moderated for a dialogue. I will order a manual but would like to dive in now. I have taken all the nuts off of the tube and rear.

2. ken bogren

ken bogren

I can't help but there are several AMC guys here so maybe one of them will pop in and help.

Meanwhile here's a bump of the thread

3. al1630

al1630

The technical manual will help you a lot. AMC ones seem to be pretty detailed. Did you try The AMC Forum as well? There are lots of people there who are really familiar with Ramblers and have likely done this job before.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Hey Rambler is an adopted mopar............

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

Start of by pulling the rear end cover

6. Rustymopar

Rustymopar

I am unfamiliar with the AMC Forum... But willing to explore it. Do you know the web address?

7. Rustymopar

Rustymopar

I've never seen any Mopar with the driveshaft within a fixed tube...HA.

8. Rustymopar

Rustymopar

I will do that after work today. Thanks

9. belair

belair

My guess from my limited GM experiences is the rear end will need to be taken out, and (again, a guess) some u-joints are in your future. Or something just came loose.

10. al1630

al1630

http://theamcforum.com/forum/forums.html
    It's a good resource to have around when you own any AMC car.

11. Rambler man Dan

Rambler man Dan

The torque tube will have to be unbolted from the rear end or the tail shaft of the trans to see inside of it
    I don't have a great pic and all my AMC driveline is gone and replaced bit there is a rubber gasket/isolator between the torque tube and trans as well that will prob need replaced if you take it apart.
    Sorry beet pic I have. Rear cover comes off the diff as well.
    Mind you if you disconnect the torque tube there really isint much holding the rear end in place.
    The tube actually locates and hold the rear along with a panhard bar.
    Support the rear or take it out all together. 20180120_152745.jpg

ramblin dan likes this.
  12. Rustymopar

Rustymopar

I did this after work today. I don't see anything unusual.

13. Rustymopar

Rustymopar

-Torque tube is unbolted from the rearend tail shaft.
    -Torque tube is unboltoed from the trans with exception to the 2 big nuts on the front of the trans. I saw the rubber gasket Its intact but a bit dry. I'll replace it.
    -Rear cover was removed and I don;t see anything unusual. Ill post a pic tomorrow.

Shoud the torque tube slide forward and come away from the rear tailshaft? Some of the studs remained in the rear.
    Do you know of any AMC reproduction websites? I need a new fuel tank. I emptied i because ir has a bunch of pin holes leaking and the previous owner ran screws in a few.

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

Start the car with it in gear is the pinion gear turning if it is the drive shaft is OK so check spider gears or for broken axle. Other wise you get to pull the rear end and the drive shaft tube to find the problem.

15. farna

farna

16. BJR

BJR

Spun hub happened to me. Take the hub caps off and start it up and have someone look at each hub with the motor running and in gear. If a spun hub you will see the center turning with the wheel sitting still.