Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I was out of step when everyone else was building street rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Sisco Kid

Sisco Kid

I think it has all pretty much been said; so I can't add a whole lot. Like most I can enjoy just about any kind of car show or museum. That image of the first 34 Ford 3-window with the worked over flathead belonging to the young guy who worked at the garage across the street when I was 12 branded me for life as a Hot Rod lover. I could easily go right back to 50's again.

2. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I googled the band, like a lot of music? today. yeah,we are too old.

Ford52PU likes this.
  3. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny, you know what era I'm from.

I built my T in 1963.

4. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Shit the 57 Rides better for damn sure.

Well.... I think there is a place for everyone at a table except those donk guys... If I wanted a lifted anything I would buy a 4wd truck, or build a gasser. The craftsmanship of lowriders... I mean real 60s cars bellflower tips, Supremes, killer paint jobs, cruising... The modern stuff with wire wheels and flaming hambster wheels don't do much for me... granted I respect the time put into everyone's stuff, unless your welding on skulls and trinkets for the next cover of RR mag... Trends come and go... Just like the jeep crazes, factory performance cars, econo boxes, crap boxes, import bs, and the one common thing you find in that, is the folks always on the trend wagon...

Hell I miss when 4wd trucks had steel wheels, manual transmissions, kc high lights, and tires that had sidewalls.

Hell a Packard straight 8... Painted up with aluminum polished was a thing of absolute beauty.... How would anyone want to pull that masterpiece out and throw in a modern POS...

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

I never got caught up in billet and wild graphics . I had to do it to keep my shop open. My own preference was sleeper simple cars.
    Drivable race cars I guess you would call it . My tastes run to big engines ,little cars.
    Not some shiny piece of automotive jewelry that you need to check the weather before you take it out.
    This was my daily for almost 3 years. DSCF0952-001.JPG DSCF0938.JPG

6. That one was nice but the one you are building now looks even better. HRP

dirty old man likes this.
  7. sunbeam

sunbeam

Street rods = parts from supplyers and bolted together like a kit.

Driver50x, HOTRODPRIMER and LAROKE like this.
  8. If a guy want's a street rod that's fine with me, what I was eluding too was the era of billet, Easter egg colors, couch upholster, even on the dash and garnish moldings, hideous graphics and all this being done by grown men and the sad thing is they thought it looked good.

All I was saying is I pretty much like the way the cars came off the assembly line, the chrome didn't need to be remover or painted a matching body color, I believe the guys building the street rods of today are using some restraint and they are better looking cars. HRP

olscrounger likes this.
  9. sunbeam

sunbeam

I agree it is so much easyer to go fast in a small car I might add cheaper.

10. My preference is those who do it themselves, however they decide to do it, over those who say they did it by putting down a bundle of cash. Also those who do it themselves and drive the shit out of em. Plus I'm old enough to remember that we used to make all our own stuff because there was nothing out there, but that being said if I had the money when I was 16, sure I would have had all I could afford......make sense? I don't know !cid__Photo0071.jpg
    Mustang 2 front end, C4, 9in rear, blown Flattie...... suits me and I have to drive it..........
    as they say ..............
    1 (15).jpg

11. I don't really understand having an old car just to modernize everything. I still prefer manual steering. I still prefer crank windows. AC in an old car for me is crank open vent windows or a nice flip-up cowl vent. I hate billet wheels, steering wheels, grilles, etc.
    That said there are some modern conveniences I do like. CDI ignition, electric fuel pumps. Power disc brakes. That's just me though, I don't care what the next Joe does to his car. I don't need his approval, and I'm sure he doesn't need mine.

dirty old man likes this.
  12. I had a Model A Roadster in High School in the 60's , sold it when I got my draft notice. Built a 32 five window in the late 60's and kept it until I started a family in the early 70's . I then built a Model A 2 dr. sedan for the family. It was a restorod style build. After a few years on the road I wanted a hot rod again. So one night I cut the roof off and did a 4-1/2" chop. Took the bumpers off added louvers hear and there. But by then the hot rods turned into street rods. Four bar, rack and pinon, independent front and rears etc. So I sold the Sedan and was out of the Hot Rod life for awhile. I had an ERA 427 sideoiler powered Cobra for fifteen years and restored a 69 XLCH. Then I felt the traditional stuff making a return and sold the Cobra and Harley and bought a 32 Roadster to build my way. The rest is history.
    30 roadster_0001.jpg 32-5window.jpg 32-5window_0007.jpg ModelA_0002.jpg ModelA.jpg OLD PICS HOT RODS 001 (2).jpg shelby 006.jpg shelby 015.jpg 1969HD 001.jpg 002.JPG 003.JPG IMG_0927.JPG
    And the rebuilding of the Coleman Coupe Coleman R&R 009.JPG Coleman R&R 005.JPG IMG_4544.JPG

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    47ragtop and woodsnwater like this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Makes perfect sense to me Carl, sometimes the "fickled finger of fate" sums it all up.

14. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

My opinion on the subject would upset a good number of nice people on here so it will remain on the keyboard.

15. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO, Individually is what the car hobby and life is about. I've always marched in my own band, I prefer unique/different ( wife has used weird, LOL ) It sounds like you to, have/do. I enjoy the HAMB, again IMO we are all different with the car interest which is the common ground. The outstanding diversity at shows/cruises is what floats my boat.

16. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

HRP I agree totally. That is why when I built my Olds convertible I made it to look like it was in 1948. All the chrome is in place, modern drive train.

17. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

The beginning of the fancy street rods started with those that could afford new speed parts, chrome or mag wheels, or even the latest suspension trick. For the rest of us, money was the key factor that kept our hot rods simple, reliable and functioning daily drivers that were not…new term: garage queens. It did not matter what the outside world looked like weather-wise, our hot rods were meant to be driven, and driven they were. Who would take a pristine 40 Ford Sedan Delivery into a muddy, Wilmington,CA ,weed strewn field for some rainy day mud slides and teenage fun?

I do not think that street rods were a new creation in the last 10 years. This attitude has been going on for decades. It was a name coined by a journalist to separate those “different builds” from the old style 50s-60 hot rods. If someone had the money, the latest flashy accessory was added to make a cool car a little garish and not the true hot rod.

But, not taking anything away from those builders, as they had their idea of what a “modern” hot rod should incorporate for the general public. Some of their ideas are top notch for handling, steering and comfort in riding around in a “newish” hot rod. But, at the time, those changes were very costly and left most out of the picture.

Jnaki

At one time, street rods were associated with Buick Skylark wire wheels. Why? Because of the cost for the conversion and purchasing a pristine set of wheels. They weren’t just wheels, but chromed, wire wheels for the newest hot rod/custom car builds. These days, those are virtually antique wheels, replaced by CNC machined huge wheels that look like they were taken from the odd facial expressions of the “Storm Trooper’s” faces.

So, it becomes just another version of a custom, hot rod, not in the best sense of a hot rod, but, yet a hot rod build. Who is to say these street rods are not the ones most young people remember in the future…with slogans like: “back in 1990, my old hot rod was a killer on the street…etc.” (not street rod, but, hot rod.)

The general public associates with a hot rod from the 50s-60s and the term sticks when applied to all things customized or modified, TODAY. Even to those rats… They are modified old time cars with some new changes, even though they are not to everyone’s taste.

47ragtop likes this.
  18. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

This is my favorite thread I have read so far here on this site. When I first started messin with cars, my first project was a 47 ford,then a 39 ford pickup. Both were stock flathead 3 speed . Years later my dad had a friend re do the 47, mustang2 front suspension, 9" rear, 350 engine , brite Richard Petty Blue paint American racing wheelsand a hideous modern dash that looks like it came off a 70's ski boat and an aftermarket wood grain/ aluminum steering wheel. I have since replaced the dash with an original including all orig gauges , clock and some orig knobs and an orig steering wheel, plan on getting some orig looking wheels and wide whites. I also recently bought a 39 Ford truck with 85 hp flathead,3 speed all orig no rust anywhere, has some older repaint(s) faded and scratched here and there . I have converted the exaust to dual and added hedman headers , and I did widen the rear wheels ( kept the stock center wide 5 lug pattern but welded on some 6.5 wide rims from a 2000 Chrysler minivan ) I have enjoyed driving the ole truck as much as any rod I have ever owned. Funny thing is it is only 85 hp but it has enough pep that when you are running 30 to 40 mph and hit the gas a bit , it sounds bad azz and as I get older , I have no desire to burn rubber . I love the smell and feel of an old car or truck and this truck has all that. I did add an eletronic ignition / dist and converted ton12 volt with a gen looking alternater but that is about as far as I will go as far as modernizing .

LAROKE likes this.
  20. Dan

Dan

Motorcycles hit the same shift awhile ago...
    should've seen the looks I got riding a rigid shovel - actually hundreds of highway miles to attend "biker" events...

21. LAROKE

LAROKE

I hear if you buy one of the new electric Harleys, they give you a pack of playing cards to put in the spokes.

bowie and WiredSpider like this.
  22. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never followed the fads much. In the 60's there were some very nice hot rods around the central valley but well out of reach for me cost wise. I always preferred the stock type body etc but dropped a bit with some pieces to make it a bit faster. Had a few 50 Olds coupes done this way and many 55-57 Chevys-both cars and pickups. Add a good 327, 4 spd and a duntov cam and you were good to go. Also had some 35-37 Ford pickups with later flatheads for go to work rigs. Admired the high end builds but lost interest when they started getting goofy paint uph etc and no billet for me. Still follow this recipe on 40's.

47ragtop and i.rant like this.
  23. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Thank God when I started building my first rod ('29 Coupe) in the mid/late 80's I didn't get caught up in the smoothie/billet craze. It lost it's door handles, had smoothie running boards, and had the obligated 4-bar and coil overs. BUT I had the foresight to paint it a timeless black and put in a tuck/roll interior. My older brother on the other hand started painting his 40 Tudor fushia pink and bright blue....

Black Coupe.jpg P7040031.JPG

32fenderless and olscrounger like this.
  24. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Guess We Both Were Out Of Step HRP But Listening To The Same Band... IMG_0101.jpg

47ragtop and jnaki like this.
  25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

At the age of 82 (minus 9 weeks), I've at one time or another had just about any sort of car you could imagine and some 4 wheel drive truck stuff to boot. So I'm not going to bore you with a history of my builds and purchases, or my preferences then or now.
    What I would like to point out to all concerned is that all of us that regard ANY TYPE OF MOTOR VEHICLE as more than an appliance to utilize to get from A to B need to stop looking down our nose at those who choose a different style than that which we prefer!
    There are people out there today that want to put us all in low performance, "ecologically friendly", self driving vehicles and put our stuff that doesn't meet their ideas either in the museums or the scrap heap.
    As was said at the meeting at which our founding fathers wrote the Declaration of Independence by, IIRC, Patrick Henry, "We must all hang together our we will all hang separately".
    Think about it.

BamaMav, Fordors and LOU WELLS like this.
  26. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I was into OT cars at the time but same deal. While everyone else was jacking the ass of their cars to the moon to get their N-50's out in the breeze, I was keeping the rear stock, stuffing the biggest tire I could get under the wheel well and lowering the front to get some rake. They all sat like 70's Pro Stocks and mine sat like a NASCAR stock car. Nobody gave me crap about doing things differently but many admitted I was ahead of the curve at the time vs their evil handling rides.

Just do what you like and ignore the comments from the peanut gallery. Your car, your likes. They pay the bills they can voice an opinion.

SPark

27. I love the old cars and the stock kinda set ups. I'm actually looking at a 37 Ford coupe that has a flat head motor, original 3 speed trans and the original rear end. Only modern update is the mustang front end with disc brakes. Just not sure how this set up will drive and what kind of road speed it would have ???

28. Hi Hamb folks

I have always loved the looks of the old school stuff...the skinny bias-ply tires....flat heads or older overhead motors...love the old patina finishes on the older iron too...the chrome has never been my bag either...billet belongs on our daily drivers for wheels...not on 70 plus-year-old hot rods...

my 2 cents

MikeC

29. Thankfully my preference has always been t buckets and 27 roadsters, fenders or not. Pretty much anyway you build 'em is okay. I strayed with my 32 and 40 sedan but tired quickly of the 'monkey see, monkey do' attitude required to join those clans, so I migrated back to the T's.

Driver50x likes this.
  30. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

If you are the leader of the pack then they are the ones who are out of step.