Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What have you done to keep your vehicle from being stolen?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace61, Jun 16, 2019.

1. clem

clem

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO KEEP YOUR VEHICLE FROM BEING STOLEN?

......... I keep my security amd immobilising ideas to myself..........

Dooley, chevy57dude, nochop and 5 others like this.
  2. I know of someone with an extensive collection locally, I'd never ask where it is, he guards it closely. He's a car guy to the core, owns businesses and does well for himself. Anyone I have heard of that has seen the collection is sworn to secrecy, he'd never bring in anyone he does not know and trust. The storage place is immaculate and well alarmed. It may be a front for something else on the exterior, just a WAG.

My shop, if you come to my house with someone I don't know, the garage stays closed until I can vet the stranger. All of us know to keep quiet about what is in someone else's garage. Never take a picture without permission! Never post anything on social media, including here.

Montana1, Ace61 and Deuces like this.
  3. Saturdays and Sundays are prime time for people walking up to my house. I have guys asking me to sign a petition, I see the pad they carry... has no signatures on it. They say they live down the block and wave down the block, funny I've been here since 1986 and I've never seen him. I tell them this.

They are selling windows, siding, driveway sealers, lawn care. Anyone that tries to hand me anything, I refuse it. Put it in the mailbox or take it back with you. Sign nothing. I told one guy if he was a process server, he was about have a very bad day. I always have something with me if I'm working outside, a crowbar or piece of rebar helps me get my broken ass up off the ground. I just stick it into the ground close by. In the garage, I have a scabbard in a few places that holds a very short shotgun, I really hope I never have to use it. The garage has a CO, the same rules that apply to the house apply to the garage.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Ace61, Truck64 and Deuces like this.
  4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few years ago at the now defunct Street Machine Nationals in Springfield, MO 4 high end cars were stolen on Friday night. Two from behind hotels, one from a guys garage and mine from an alarmed, locked warehouse. It was sitting in there strapped to an open trailer. When I arrived early Saturday...Poof. Like a fart in the wind. It was a supercharged 5 speed car with straight gate shifter that had to be in reverse for the car to start. No way anyone just hopped in and drove it away. Don't worry about theft deterent, like others have said, worry about having a good agreed value insurance policy and not from SHELTER INSURANCE! Shield of Shelter by backside!

Nostrebor, Deuces and Ace61 like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Living has always had threats...Today we are vulnerable to unimaginable negative activity.

So really we all must conduct ourselves Keeping the privacy required to reduce and protect against the dark side.

Good Luck stay safe...

Deuces and Ace61 like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

Sounds like some of you guys need to move to a better neighborhood. Sheesh!

Bugguts, VANDENPLAS, chopped and 11 others like this.
  7. juan motime

juan motime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tried that, they keep steel'n the chain.

Ace61 and Deuces like this.
    juan motime and Ace61 like this.
  9. The latest revision of my '40 has a column shifted Saginaw 4 speed, with a separate cable shifted reverse gear. I can shift it into reverse and put it into 3 or 4, and it will lock up the transmission. Even if they shifted it out of 3rd or 4th, it would still be in reverse, if they were to get it started. Unless they could figure it out, they'd have a hard time getting out of the parking spot I backed into.

guthriesmith, Deuces and Ace61 like this.
  10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

11. I like the rat trap with a hole in it for a shotgun shell and a firing pin welded to the spring and a string to the steering wheel, steer and bang blows their balls off.

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and Ace61 like this.
  12. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Inurance, lock the doors. If I'm feeling it I'll unplug the relay for the fuel pump.

13. 62rebel

62rebel

I avoid it by usually owning something nobody thinks is worth taking. Now that I have the '63.5 sportsroof, that may be a mistaken idea. It does have a manual trans, at least.

14. Trying to drive them ape are we?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces, Stogy and Ace61 like this.
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It doesn't really work that way, the "better neighborhoods" have, - wait for it - better stuff!

They already done stole everything that isn't nailed down in the shitholes, in part, that's why they are shitholes.

Sometimes you'll hear advice like keeping areas "well lit" this always cracks me up. Thieves don't care about that too much, a floodlight just means they don't trip over the sprinkler in the yard. They don't like dogs too much.

Years ago there was a public ad campaign "Help Keep A Good Kid From Going Bad" or somesuch. The idea was, we shouldn't keep car keys in the ignition.

The public outcry was such the ad was pulled, in those days people still had some sense of what's what. Today, everyone acts like you deserve to have your car stolen if the keys are in it, or if anything more valuable than stale french fries under the seat is inside you got it comin'.

weeniewawa, Ace61, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.
  16. 62rebel

62rebel

Locally we can be ticketed for not locking the doors and putting the windows up. Punishment for the owners instead of the criminal.

17. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

If there is one thing I absolutely hate it is a thief! The same crooks stealing over and over and all you hear is they are looking for joe so and so who’s “known to police” I say Break a hand the first time, take a finger the second time then a hand on the third strike. Bet you if some of these friggin guys faced a REAL consequence they would change their ways!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. 45 ACP.........

olscrounger and Ace61 like this.
  19. Mimilan

Mimilan

My husband cleverly protects our car from theft by hiding the keys in the ignition ( then runs around in a panic trying to find them)
    So a good neighborhood helps

He does have a few good methods. Like a hidden ground switch on the green wire of the tach (at the coil is too easy to spot, when hotwiring)

weeniewawa and Ace61 like this.
  20. D3E15593-FDD1-4B6F-9775-A14B1323BB58.jpeg

Just switch the blue wire to another colour.

The crooks will be stumped!!!!!!

We ALL know it’s the BLUE wire to start the car!!!!!
    Or is that diffusing an alarm clock bomb?!? I’m confused :confused:

C0BD44AE-3048-4A7D-B57B-FD124D112080.gif

Attached Files:

bobss396, Ace61 and Truck64 like this.
  21. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I park next to a better looking car

Moriarity, bobss396, Ace61 and 3 others like this.
  22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

saw a pic in the long Vintage Pics Thread here from 2017 that had what looked like a cable wrapped around a big tree base to the front end of a '34 sedan

Ace61 likes this.
  23. Mimilan

Mimilan

So you can get a ticket for owning a roadster or old sportscar???
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my husband said there are more clever methods [especially against those that slide hammer out the ignition barrel and don't bother lifting the hood for hotwiring]

He learned this method from a Taxi driver ,Who after multiple attempts at stealing his livelihood ,just used a screwdriver for the ignition key/barrel

What you need a hidden 4 post switch [or 2 circuits parallel]

one circuit goes between the "run" [or On] on the ignition switch and the ballast resister. And the other goes into the power circuit on the fuel gauge

You can switch off the engine running and also switch off the fuel gauge with one switch [so it reads empty]

The engine should fire on the start circuit, but when the starter is released it stops similar to a car that has just run out of gas [the fuel gauge confirms this]

This will usually stop "joy riders" who will usually move on [because it has no gas] If the engine didn't fire at all ,the thief will usually start looking for a hidden switch

Mimi

chryslerfan55 and Ace61 like this.
  24. 62rebel

62rebel

I don't know what the local gendarmerie do in those cases but you can bet they itch to write a ticket. And yes, there are a LOT of the type of cars you mentioned around here.

chryslerfan55 and Ace61 like this.
  25. I think that I have the Best idea for Protecting a Car or House/Garage

Build a 6' foot Moat around the Place & either use your Pirana
    or Crock's

or a Sign saying ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,................2 Sticks of Dynamite wired to the
    Ignition switch!!

just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn or Die a Fool

26. My car is primered & not that clean on the outside. I hope it looks like junk to any potential thief.

27. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I keep mine ugly, and non-running
    Works so far

Ritzy1, guthriesmith, Ace61 and 5 others like this.
  28. Gman0046

Gman0046

I try not to encourage uninvited guests that just stop by.

29. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Just bought a mini split for the garage so I can keep the door closed so they cannot see what I have.