Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GM 350 transmission/stock located, column shifter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 504640, Jun 18, 2019.

1. 504640

A friend is in the process of replacing an original powerglide with a GM 350 tranny, in his 51, hopped-up, 235 powered chevy! He would prefer to maintain the shifter in its stock position, on the stock column. What parts will be needed, and what needs to be done to accomplish this?

2. sdluck

sdluck

None he just can't manually out it in 1 gear,and the prndl will be off,his is pndlr I think

3. Some fab required. Mounting the 350 to the 253 will be harder. The PRNDL will be a bit of a challenge. But can be done.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, already has adapter & flywheel & correct starter & knows bellhousing crossmember must be slightly modified? take a look at the Lokar automatic column shift linkage for idea on how to make one that will work. there are stick on steering column shift indicators that can be used with trans change

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    504640 likes this.

5. footbrake

footbrake

Jegs has a cable operated column shifter kit for just what your trying to do

504640 likes this.
  6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Gate2.jpg
    Morse cable or rod, either or?
    Shifter.jpg

Attached Files:

504640 likes this.
  7. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a 41 Chevy Coupe with 350/350, GM column and Lokar parts linking the column to the transmission, like those pictured above. My brake pedal is slightly to the right side of the column when viewed from the drivers position (and despite being a Brit in Britland the car is left hand drive!).

I've only very recently come to the realisation that were it necessary for the brake pedal to be pushed deeper there would be interference between the pedal arm and the shift linkage which would prevent the pedal being depressed beyond that. Admittedly I'd be in a brake failure situation were that extra travel required, but that slight restriction might be the bit that kills me! This has surprised and shocked me as I'm usually better than that! It was a previous owner install that had issues that I've addressed but I missed that element! Odd thing is that I don't know how I bled the brakes which I had to do as part of other 'corrections'!

Just mentioning all that as something to look out for in such an installation - it's not mentioned in the instructions and is easy to overlook.

I don't know how I'm going to fix it though right now and would welcome suggestions. I'm thinking a cable arrangement? Worst case I could go for a floor shifter, but I'd prefer not too for various reasons, and I rather like the column shift.

Edit - $135 on a Lokar cable and fittings looks like an easy, but not cheap fix! But less $$$ than a floor shifter.

Chris

504640 likes this.
  8. 504640

He has ordered Langdon's adapter and starter! He had a conversation with Langdon, and I will assume the other issues were addressed! Thanks, Joker!