Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest It's Not Just A Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950fleetline, Jun 16, 2019.

1. 1950fleetline

1950fleetline

"It's just a car" a phrase Ive heard tossed around.
    For many of us nothing could be farther from the truth!
    Ive had an affection for old cars for most of life. As a young teenager I would drag my Dad out to look at any old junker I could find in the hope of dragging it home to restore. I was always greeted with the same advice,"son its a cool old car but where are you going to get parts? Do you have a place to do the amount of work it would need?" As usual Dad was right but of course that didn't keep me from dreaming of one day having a classic of my own.
    At the age of 40 I started thinking it was now or never so I started looking around for a project and
    after finding a prospect on craigslist I invited my Dad to come with me to look. As we pulled up to the driveway there stood a beat up 1950 Fleetline. I could almost visualize my fathers response to the sight of this "classic" but to my surprise he looked at me and said"son I think you should go for it, I think you could turn this into a nice ride and I'm here to help"
    Dads advice and help during the next couple of years of getting this car on the road meant the world to me. The excitement in his eyes every time I would come over to visit and give updates since the last time he seen the "Old Chevy" as he called it, is something I will never forget. The Joy of taking the "Old Chevy" to cars shows with Dad are some of my best memories!
    I lost my Father last September, this being the first Fathers Day without Dad I can't help but reflect on the great man I was blessed to to call Dad!
    As I continue to work on the "Old Chevy" it has become more of a tribute to my Dad,
    Its certainly not the most valuable or prestine car at the the car shows but to me its priceless.
    It symbolizes a childhood dream come true and more importantly it was the last father/son project I had with Dad, the "Old Chevy" may be many things but for damn sure its not just a car!!! IMG_5066.JPG IMG_7129.JPG IMG_7173.JPG

2. inthweedz

inthweedz

Age wise I started quite a bit earlier with cars, my dad was always there as well ( passed away back in 1980)
    But the many great memories are still there..
    Your post brought them all back, many thanks..

3. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Thank you for sharing. I love stories like this and it’s really well written as well!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Gosh...that is so cool...I wish you well in your tribute to your dad...I lost my dad back in July of 2001...his ideas of a cool car and my idea were 180 degrees away from each other but what I would give to sit with him on any fathers day...yes you never stop missing them...the loss just gets a little less painful as the days go by...
    MikeC

5. This my second Father(less) day. I’ve got his “old Chevy” in the garage, it meant more to me when it was still his.

6. Lost my dad two years ago... he was a major influence in my love for hot rods. His baby was a '47 Ford convertible called "Betsy". Helped me build my high school hot rod, a '41 Chevy pickup painted "Mustang orange". We always had various old cars and trucks on the farm. '29 Chevy, '49 Dodge, two '46 Willy's jeeps etc... don't get me started on the antique motorcycles, boats, tractors and "hit and miss " engines. If had a piston, my dad had to have one!

Miss you dad...

7. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

What we'd all give to have our Dad's back again goes without saying. I'm thinking a little road trip in his old car is in order today......

8. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Your Dad's responses earlier in your life remind me of mine. He eventually gave up, understanding my affliction for old cars. He even helped me get started but most of those early starts never went anywhere. Lost mine 32 years ago and miss him as we all miss our "Dads" Great story! Thanks for sharing!

9. 1950fleetline

1950fleetline

Thank you,
    Really appreciate your comments.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

osage orange likes this.
  10. 1950fleetline

1950fleetline

Thank you,
    Thank god for our great memories of our amazing Dads!

osage orange likes this.
  11. 1950fleetline

1950fleetline

Definitely!
    Went for road trip over the weekend, funny how cruse in the old Chevy can be therapeutic.

WB69 and osage orange like this.
  12. 1950fleetline

1950fleetline

Great memories!!
    So grateful for all the things Dad thought me,
    Sounds like you had an amazing father as well.

osage orange likes this.
  13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

This was my 32nd Father's Day without my dad. He was not a car guy at all; he raised Arabian horses. But because of his passion for horses, he understood my passion for cars. As an example, in 1968 when I was 12 yrs old, my parents gave me a Motor's Auto Repair Manual for Christmas. I sat down and read it from cover to cover, and have referenced it many times over the years.
    I loved reading your tribute to your dad. It stirred up some good memories of my own dad. Thank you.

1950fleetline and lumpy 63 like this.
  14. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

My Dad has never understood my Hot Rod addiction , He never discouraged me from doing it and actually helped me with funds rebuilding my 57 Chevy when I was a kid. My Dad was a genius when it came to gas turbine and turbocharger design . Not so much anymore ...spends most of his time sleeping and not eating much anymore ...Pretty sure I spent my last Fathers Day with him on Sunday.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    osage orange and jnaki like this.
  15. 1950fleetline

1950fleetline

Thank you!
    When I was about 15 my Dad me an owners manual for a 1957 Chevy at a swap meet. I felt at the time it was first piece of owning a classic car, lol
    That’s awesome you’re still using that auto repair manual, what a great gift!!

16. 62rebel

62rebel

Dad was a Model A Ford man; he loved those cars but he never got "hot rod" in his blood. I grew up reading Clymer's manuals and beating bushes for parts he couldn't reach. I have a soft spot for survivor A's and well-done restorations, but I'd rather see a flathead V8 in one..... he came around to the dark side eventually, when I found him a '63 Comet 2dr sedan...... lost him 2 years ago but everything I do echoes his voice.

17. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

I have been posting family stories for a while. The mantra of “It’s not just a car” holds true for many car fanatics, starting with teenagers getting their first car, or favorite hot rod. Whether it is a hand me down from your dad or the first car, or even the latest hot rod/cruiser, they all hold some meaning in the lifestyle.

My dad was a Buick fanatic. My brother was an SBC fanatic until his accident. I have been the jack of all trades with different combinations of hot rods, sports cars, powerful small coupes and blasphemy, hot new/old European road cars.

That mantra plays well for my wife. She has finagled the finances to have paid off our final two “hot” cars and she is sitting pretty. “It is not just a car, but our final two forever cars that are paid off…” is constantly repeated with big smiles and joy. When we see a cool looking convertible or hot rod, thoughts jump through our heads, but, she smiles and we move on to the next hurdle in life.
    upload_2019-7-28_3-51-33.png

Jnaki

We wish hot rods were still in our daily lives, but choices had to be made with envious faces when looking at other cool cars at shows and on the road. (If we had a third car garage, it would certainly get filled with a cool hot rod of some kind.) But, we love our daily drivers.

Every time we turn on the ignition, there is no worry about being late to the latest granddaughter performance or birthday celebration. With our old sedan deliveries, turning the key always made a cringe on our faces. Will it start?

18. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a great story, your dad will always ride with you !