Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Problem with my ignition key

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

Had the same problem once. My neighbor who was a locksmith hit the back of the key with a rubber mallet and problem was solved.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. You don't know how much I thought about trying that but with my luck I would have damaged the dash.:rolleyes: HRP

3. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Anything and I mean anything can be fixed with a hammer.
    Many years ago Dad was Sears service manager. A guy had to keep bringing his lawnmower back for service. After the 5th time a couple mechanics were working on it when all at once the customer whacked it with a sledgehammer. That fixed it for good.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Hnstray, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Just curious if it is the original lock cylinder, and if so, are you going to repair it? Call me weird if you must, but I like my original stuff.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I'd have to rekey the new one to make it match the other locks...saves carrying so many keys.

6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Had the same problem with my door lock cylinder recently,key would not go in.
    Took it to old timey locksmith who did his magic and there was no charge,good karma.
    I then reacquainted my bride on the proper procedure of lock/unlocking the door after helping me reinstall.:rolleyes::)

Legends47, Hnstray, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It shouldn't be hard for a good old school locksmith to repair the cylinder or rekey one for the original key. I've done a bunch of GM cylinders but no Ford.

8. squirrel

squirrel

it's not rocket surgery....

9. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

About a year ago, tried to unlock the locking gas cap on my OT truck. The key wouldn't go in and I thought I had the wrong key at first. Right next to the key slot was a punch mark. I played with it for a while and finally the key went in and worked. It's worked fine ever since.

10. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

If you're weird so am I. If it's not original, what is it?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

11. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I'm not trying to argue with you but have you gotten a quote for a old school locksmith lately?

I had to call one to get in my coupe, it was late and it cost a little over a hundred bucks. :mad:

I'm happy he came but didn't expect it to be that much.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

This may sound weird, but check how many keys are on Brenda's key ring,,,
    If she has her keys for every vehicle, keys for the house, keys for the trailers, keys for the gym locker,, etc,,, on her key ring/chain, plus photos in plastic of the family, this puts a stress on the tumbler and wears them out. At our house with too many vehicles each vehicle has its own key-ring, and two sets for each. It is a pain sometimes when jocking things around but saves on replacing key/start switches.

Hnstray and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. I've heard of that happening but there is nothing on the key chain but the ignition key, door lock key & glove box key and my Army dog tag, there really is no weight hanging. HRP

14. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

I got a can of that Houdini. Smells like lime juice. Probably something else in there too, but it smells like I could squirt a little in my Tecate and be good to go.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. I don't think I would drink that stuff., limes are not that hard to come by! :D HRP

ClayMart and Moon50F3 like this.
  16. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Your Army dog tags! Danny thanks for your service!!!

17. ...To the emergency room! :eek: Or at least a quick trip to the W.C. :D