Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods T bucket color...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, May 22, 2019.

1. I recently acquired a T bucket, and am checking out and snapping photos of other T's at shows in anticipation of changing the steering on mine.
    While perusing said photos, I realized that they were all pretty much the same color...

Did I miss this memo??? 20190520_142550.jpg 20190518_113439.jpg 20190504_174755.jpg 20190504_101309.jpg

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

J must of missed the memo on that color. Most of the ones on CL are yellow,blue, black or red.

razoo lew likes this.
  3. LongT

LongT

Mine was satin black. Never should have sold it.

mcsfabrication likes this.
  4. Thinking about doing mine in satin black with wide white walls and red wheels, baby moons etc.. (I know, overdone!) My buddy is building me a beer keg gas tank. I want it to represent an earlier period.

edcodesign likes this.

5. 6-71

6-71

Allis chalmers orange on mine

6. A Boner

A Boner

"T" Bucket Memo

Anyone contemplating building a T Bucket should try to include elements that will enhance it's coolness. Things like stance, and wheel choice are things that will do that. But, above all other choices is the color of the paint you choose. Tradition has it that the #1 choice is BLACK!
    Thank You, 3wLarry

Found this memo in a pile of papers laying on the workbench out in my shop....hope it helps you!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

And that is not satin black! :p

s55mercury66 likes this.
  8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

keg gas tank is 70s, not early.
    please please please please not satin black white walls and red wheels, just please for the love of God and all that is holy do something original!

Sky Six likes this.
  9. I'm always open to suggestions! Right now, the paint is in good condition. The crude box on the back has to go. Having been a yacht carpenter for 40 years, I am also considering building a "turtle deck " maybe out of varnished mahogany with a matching dash, or maybe fiberglassing it and painting it and the body to match. Don't really want to spend $500 on a Speedway version...

10. A Boner

A Boner

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Shiny red with white wheels and blackwalls.

12. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

rusty, how about some pics of your bucket too? im curious about the back end. The one photo you posted that might be of the front has me a little worried too. That steering rack looks pretty sketchy

13. The steering rack has to go! Already have a steering box and drag link, still need a tie rod etc... The box on the back is crude by anybody's standard. This one had been replaced by the last owner with one even worse. I put the original version back on temporarily and slapped together a lid out of some tongue and groove pine that I took out of the house... 0311190911b.jpg 0311191523a.jpg 0321191514.jpg

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My favorite color on T buckets has always been yellow. Chrome yellow, Corvette yellow, slap you in the face yellow, not some pale piss looking color. Yellow that stands out and says LOOK AT ME!!!!!

15. AndersF

AndersF

This is my take on chosing a color.
    By looking in magasines of any age red are the no:1 color of choise on all types of hotrods.
    Flat black and pink can look good on the right car but there is always better choises.
    Shiney black allways look good but often a bit boring.
    For me its not what color it is that make a car.
    It is the general stance and how the combination of parts is put together.
    If the car is built right the color is not that importend. But it must fit the theme.

16. Hmmm, the majority of the ones I see are blue. I think Norm Grabowski made that rule....

17. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

image.jpeg I'm actually NOT a fan of the color red, but the T we recently got was red, so I'm just dealing with it and having fun. The wheels that it came with were drab full moon discs and blackwalls, I put on the skinny whitewalls, and Supremes from our DuneBuggy, and it changed the entire look, and the red isn't an issue for me any longer!

AndersF likes this.
  18. Koz

Koz

Mine is going in the gloss black route. I loved your old T. It was a fixture around town. I've sold my T's in the past and this one is going nowhere! They can plant me in it. I've seen T's of every color that looked great including satin black with red wheels. It has more to do with stance and detail. They are all more fun than just about anything else I've ever owned.

I will add that to get the most out of them you need to make it your own and that takes a while. The best example is Need Louvers T on here. He must have about 3 million miles on that one by now.