Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 Ford Pick Up Engine

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hessler, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Hessler

Hessler

Hi to all, I come here for knowledge as always, I will soon start a 1932 pick up build, fender less, low, skinny tires, chopped and channeled.. etc.... but trying to do as little metal work as possible myself, as I'm still learning, I also wanna keep cost low and the truck has to be fuel efficient... (I know I know lol) gas in CA is $3.80 as of now. To the point, since I'm going low cost... Chevy 350 is my goto option, my question is... is it possible to fit a 350 without modifying the firewall, the engine will have HEI dist and electric fan, short water pump...

Thank you all, sorry about the Chevy engine guys... just wanna keep my cost down :(

2. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

That whole low cost excuse just doesn't hold true any more, there are many 5.0s etc out there for cheap, and can take a 4V intake if you want that look. And it won't be BORING

RustyDogg, Hessler and Texas Webb like this.
  3. studebaker46

studebaker46

see dennis lacy rebuild of 1932 ford pu he used a 265 but the foot print should be the same Tom ps good luck with it

Hessler likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

You are intending to chop and channel it and you are worried about modifying the firewall? You do realize channeling will involve cutting the feet and probably a large chunk out of the middle of the firewall?

In answer to your question, yes, many SBCs have been installed in 32's without anything more than a mild trim on the lower edge of the firewall. But those were not channeled cars.

FlatJan, Hessler and Bandit Billy like this.

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I bet the HEI is gonna hit the firewall. Its awful close with a smaller diameter Mallory or factory GM points distributor.

Hessler likes this.
  6. yes you can fit a small block with out touching the firewall on a stock height 32 firewall, though an HEI will not fit, will have to something that's the same size as a points distributor. I have a 350 in my 33 Ford pickup and the firewall has only just had some holes filled, no other work for clearances. the 33 and 34 firewall is a little worse for space than a 32. Need to run a short water pump for sure. I can barley get my fingers between the valve cover and firewall, but it does clear.

1510943_781802628500160_552182944_n.jpg 11807738_708355709293848_908801816563569475_o.jpg

7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Find a 283 and ram horns, or a any flavor of SBC...ram horns short water pump scripted valve covers and run a real fan.

Use points even if you have to run an external condenser.
    People that poo poo a SBC are ignorant. If you poo poo it you might well poo poo the 331 caddy, 303 Olds, Buicks.nail heads...all of them.
    There's not much that looks better than a simple SBC with scripted valve covers and ram horns. It's just classic.

Add a electric fan and a Summit dress up kit and it goes South big time

Don't worry about the chop and channel. It's a 32. It's going to be cool.

Keep it simple.
    Stock 32 Ford truck..... SBC Chevy trimmed like 1962.....juice brakes.....Heck you can even run a '39 top shift behind the SBC.

Now if you really want to be cool......
    Run Fenders!

Tim_with_a_T and Hessler like this.
  8. Hessler

Hessler

Thanks for the pictures and suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Hessler

Hessler

Thanks so much

10. Cut it up but not modify the firewall? HRP

I did a mild firewall modification on my 32 pickup, 327 Chevy and a real fan. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

F-ONE likes this.
  11. the big question is, how tall are you? if you are anywhere near or over 6 foot tall, you might want to rethink a chopped and channeled. unless you like to be smushed into sardine cans. if you don't channel it and don't use an HEI, you can get it all in there with a short water pump and mechanical fan, its tight but you can. if you put an electric fan and an HEI in it, you are gonna be cutting the firewall.

HEI's and electric fans are ugly anyway. you want to go low buck, find some one puling a 327 or 283 that runs out of an impala or 60's chevy truck to do an LS swap, you can get them complete for a 400 or 500 bucks and you have all the little parts that add up quick. Starter, alt bracket, ext ext. plus it will look right and fit right and be way less than piecing it out. Plus if you can get a 283, keep the 2 barrel on it, tune it you can get 20 MPG with it. make it comfortable and you can drive it everyday.

12. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

Bringing back some of the old H.A.M.B. (witch I wasn’t around for ) what is traditional about an Hei unit go with a points distributor and your problems will be solved

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  13. I have a 34 chopped channeled truck... I am 6ft and quarters are real tight in the cab, Wishing the truck wasn't channeled and probably would be cozy..(was that way when I got it)
    I got a 3rd row seat out of a Windstar as you can see your ass is on the floor and head will be on the roof. Will have to drive slumped over the wheel just to see out..

20190503_170438.jpg

Also doing a SBC and top load 3 speed...

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yes, leave out the modern stuff though.

15. Did someone actually type "has to be fuel efficient" on the HAMB?

If that's your goal, put in a 4-banger. Something like the 153" (2.5L) from an early Chevy II (also found in boats) would work. They were (are) used in midget sprint cars, so there is some speed equipment available.

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Right foot tune goes a long way.

17. Hessler

Hessler

Thanks everyone for their replies, so I wanted to go HEI to avoid points, I had them once and hated it, as for space, Im a small guy, 5’6 and 160 pounds, so I think space will be ok, the plan is to chop 4 and channel 4, fuel efficient I meant high gears, tall tires, 700r4, not so hungry carb, and light on the foot, this will be my first build so I gotta go simple stuff and parts Im familiar with, wish I could put an old Olds engine, or a flatty but Its out of my league, also my garage space is limited, and I need to keep things simple, will prob get a pre fab frame, no way the wife will allow to build a frame in the garage, plus my welding skills are not up there, I feel comfortable welding sheetmetal not a frame. Thanks everyone will consider all your comments

18. There are electronic ignition conversions that fit inside a '57-'74 Chevy points distributor, been running one for 25 years on the 307 Chevy in my '38.

19. Hessler

Hessler

Funny... I was just gonna reply to myself about this, just googled small HEI distributor and it gave me a few links to conversion kits, thanks!!!!! seems like the firewall will remain intact :)