Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical CE sbf engine mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Jun 10, 2019.

1. topher5150

topher5150

I was kind of test fitting motor mount kits for my 47 Ford coupe, and I noticed that the part that mounts to the frame doesn't fit over the frame. Has anyone had any issues with this, can I grind a few thou off each side of the mount?
    I'll get the exact measurements after work.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Making parts fit is quite normal when building a hot rod.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  3. topher5150

topher5150

This is true, but I figured it would fit a little bit

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Picture? It helps the group see what is not fitting, and you may get some responses for solutions other than grinding.

Hnstray likes this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. topher5150

topher5150

7. squirrel

squirrel

so...cut the weld on the end of the inner brace on the mount, spread it out a little so it fits, weld the brace back in place. There are several other ways to fix it, as well.

jimgoetz, rockable and Johnny Gee like this.
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Or cut lower portion off, bolt into place then weld lower portion back into place.

9. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

What did CE say?

11. topher5150

topher5150

Haven't asked them yet

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. topher5150

topher5150

I emailed CE the other day and he said it should be something that bend to get to fit in place, but didn't really specify as to how.

13. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

The bracket is wrong! It should over the frame and bolt in the existing holes. I have just heated them and slid them over the frame. Not hard to do without heating if you are careful with a block and hammer.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  14. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Heat the bottom of the bracket at the bend and spread (move) that portion out slightly. Slide the bracket on the frame keeping top level, bolt in place (top) and bend the bottom back. Bolt the bottom and/or weld up and you should be good to go.

15. Man! I can't believe how easy some people are Stumped and Confused. Maybe it's just because I've been doing this stuff to long.

16. topher5150

topher5150

what can I say my mom dropped me

mgtstumpy, Pist-n-Broke and RICH B like this.
  17. So seriously dude, no torch needed. Just a proper B.F.H. So let's assume your top frame rails are very Flat and parallel to each other. Next let's assume the new mount brackets are to be flat and parallel to each other. Next, that inner gusset isn't necessary at all, remove it. Now chamfer the edge of the mount bracket so you can bump it over the ledge you have it resting against in your photo. Wala, your close to ready to weld or bolt in place. Lastly use a ridgid strait edge long enough to span across each mount and clamp to just the top leg and square them to each other and clamp to strait edge so the tops are flat to each other. Now fasten to the frame on both top and bottom frame rail. Move on to next issue.

18. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Chris...I can spread those mounts for you. JB

topher5150 likes this.
  19. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

OR...….Saunter over to the hardware bins at work/ Grab a 1/2 " hex head bolt that will fit in the open space next to the brace/ grab a nut too/ thread the nut onto the bolt/place the bolt-nut in the open space/ turn the nut counter clockwise whilst holding the bolt with a wrench..vice grips..adjustable spanner or those sausage looking fingers on those massive meat hooks at the end of your Godzilla looking arms ( I have met Chris)/ Spread said mount/ Place mount on frame rails and drop the bolts in place/ Voila` . You`re welcome. JB

20. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

….Eh-hem.....remove the 1/2 " bolt and nut as well.....:rolleyes: