Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Have you ever agonized about what color to paint you project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 25, 2019.

1. 34plastic.jpg 34paint.jpg All I have to worry about is what shade of gray I want.

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

For me it was rather obvious that I have a certain color locked into my DNA ;) :D:D

3. Titian Red, Hond
    [​IMG]
    uras Maroon, 1941 Chevy Maroon, Blue Black (not the brown black) for me.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

not really I painted everything black since day 1

5. Otto

Otto

Wanted Folkstone very early on in the project and kept with it. Glad I did.
    [​IMG]

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The first time I ever painted my car,I likely would of ! But factors helped=,zero $,so what I could get free was the color. Later gloss black was cheepist as it would cover in one coat.

7. Wow, I've never been a fan of a 58 but yours is perfect, makes me want one.

Black_Sheep likes this.
  8. ...most of my cars come already painted...

9. desotot

desotot

agonize? paint it black, then the agony begins, paint the next one black, more agony. Henry said.....

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife and I used to go for rides just to cruise the car lots in daytime and night. I knew I wanted red but I didn't want just red. Some shades looked great in the daytime but didn't look all that great under the lights at night.
    When I first painted the 48 in 1973 I wanted gold and the Color I liked was 69 Corvette Riverside gold but that was pretty spendy for my budget an I ended up with 72 Monte Carlo Placer gold. Paint store dude didn't tell me I needed to clear coat it to get it to shine and made no attempt to sell me the clear. I ended up having a satin paint job 40 years before they were the hot lick.
    I'm still up in the air on what shade of the color I ton the 48. The 31 Vic will be easier as it will be a "could have been stock" color to give the car the look of a restored or original car that got hot rodded which is about as far from the truth as you will ever see.

11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-9-13_3-18-49.png 1960
    Hello,

When we were in our final 671 SBC 292 build and racing in our Willys (since late 1959), the previously mentioned U.S. Nationals were going to be run at Detroit, Mi. We had the idea that to top off our first, Willys Gas Coupe in the C/GAS class, we had to get the ball rolling for a finished car to represent us at the U.S. Nationals. The whole USA would be watching on a national basis. So, the final, fast stuff was on order and the next step was paint and upholstery.

We both agreed that black interior was the only way to go for our Willys. But, the outside was a toss-up between several colors. We like the red/orange of K. S. Pittman’s 41 Willys, the Tahitian red of Doug Cook’s B/Gas 37 Chevy Coupe and the dark blue of Gary Gabelich’s first Bantam Altered Sedan.
    upload_2019-9-13_3-22-1.png
    But, to keep things simple with our new found "outside support", we had to choose a lighter color. So, the yellow color and silver color were tossed around. The silver of the Mooneyham and Sharp coupe and the yellow, Herbert Cams/Torco Special driven by Gary Cagle.
    upload_2019-9-13_3-23-27.png
    Jnaki
    upload_2019-9-13_3-24-42.png upload_2019-9-13_3-24-54.png upload_2019-9-13_3-25-35.png
    We did have preliminary drawings with the two colors. But, the paint and upholstery contract appointments had to be canceled after our accident. My brother’s idea of more attraction and publicity for sponsors would be the yellow version. I liked silver, but, the yellow color would do much better.

Our lives moved on, despite the outcome.

upload_2019-9-13_3-25-53.png

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  12. Deuces

Deuces

When in doubt... Paint it primer black.....;)

nunattax and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

All you guys loving black paint must realize that black isn't actually a color so there's nothing to agonize over is there ?:D

14. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Since it was a long time since I painted any thing automotive I decided to give it a shop on my International pickup. Went down to Robbins Auto Parts and asked the guy for a gallon and a half of black, single stage. Before he did anything he gave me the price. WOW, boy has the price of paint really gone up. the last time I bought paint it was about 36 dollars a gallon. So being a cheap guy that I am, I asked if he had any paint that was returned for whatever reason. He said that they don't take paint back but he did have two gallons of single stage, like what I wanted, that they mixed wrong for a grand total of 45 dollars. He came out with the two cans of paint, but the labels had only numbers on them. I took them and painted the truck, luckily, I like yellow.

15. X-cpe

X-cpe

Always wanted the coupster to be flat or satin black until there was a thread on here about a grandfather who got killed and his grandchildren injured in a black roadster that got hit. Now it is going to be some shade of turquoise. I'm not driving a car with virtually no protection that is the color of pavement. Back in the day, when my DD's were sweat equity vehicles, I picked colors off of new cars, that way I could get factory pack paint for repairs if needed. Picking colors for two tone can be problematic. I had an OT green Chevy 3/4 ton that I did a 2 gallon restoration on and wanted to paint the side panels a contrasting green. Every green that I put up to the original color made the blue tint in the green pop. Finally went with silver.

16. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

What is this color called? Looks nice.

Sporty45 likes this.
  17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

naw,its gonna be black stealth black

18. Black is always a good choice!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

nunattax likes this.
  19. Sporty45

Sporty45

It's a Porsche color called Carmon Red Metallic, paint code M3W/E4. Took me forever to make up my mind, but I really like it. ;)

20. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Choosing the colors for my '51 and '56 were relatively easy, and I'm still pleased with both colors years later. Picking the color for my '40 literally took me years, and although I still like it a lot, I keep thinking about other colors I might have chosen:
    !TRW06crop.jpg !!GGOC10-0800LoCLite.jpg IMG_1566.JPG

Dick Stevens and Just Gary like this.