Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chrysler 300F Convertible

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vondergoltz, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Vondergoltz

Vondergoltz

New to the forum. How would I find out what a derelict 300F convertible would be worth?

Attached Files:

37 roadster likes this.
  2. belair

belair

There are price guides, but I find them iffy. Craig's list and E-bay will give you an idea about asking (not getting) prices. That is a whole lot of good-looking 'Murican iron.

3. Check with the guys over at the forwardlook forum, they can let you know a pretty good ballpark

HEMI32 and safetythird like this.
  4. There was a local dentist here, that restored a '57 C convertible, with the hemi, & 2x4 set up. I see it now, getting passed around from auction house to auction house. Close to $200,000 the last time. The old dentist said he had over $100,000 into the restoration. these are nice looking, cars for sure

5. @Vondergoltz -

What are your intentions with the car? :
    1. Sell it "AS IS"
    2. Get it running and cosmetically presentable ... and then drive it
    3. Get it running and cosmetically presentable ... and then sell it
    4. Perform a 100-point Concours restoration ... and then keep it for yourself (drive & show it)
    5. Perform a 100-point Concours restoration ... and then eventually sell it
    6. Other
    Is the 413ci V8 engine and the 3-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmission still in the vehicle? ... How 'bout the seats? ... hubcaps? ... etc.?

I know it won't be popular opinion here on the H.A.M.B. (a Traditional Hot Rod & Custom forum), but because only 248 '60 Chrysler 300 F Convertibles were produced (i.e., it's a very rare and desirable collector car), it deserves to be RESTORED rather than Hot Rodded or Customized.

Note that it could cost you well over $100K to do a proper restoration of the car ... but if you sell it "AS IS", I suspect you could get $10K to $20K for it (depending on condition & completeness).

Any more pics?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    al1630, abe lugo, nochop and 2 others like this.
  6. NOTE: This '60 Chrysler 300 F 'Vert SOLD last year for $291,500:

MECUMAUCTIONSLogo.png INDY - Friday, May 18th 2018
    LOT F137 - 1960 CHRYSLER 300F CONVERTIBLE
    413/375 HP, 1 of 248 Produced

01.JPG

ESTIMATE: $175,000 - $225,000

HIGHLIGHTS:

* 1 of only 248 by Chrysler 300F convertibles built in 1960
    * AACA National 1st Junior at North Glenn, Colorado August 2001
    * AACA National Senior at Sunnyvale, California May 2002
    * Chrysler 300 Club Nationals Best of Show and 1st in Concours Class Judging September 2006
    * AACA Grand National 1st Junior at Kalamazoo, Michigan July 2007
    * Hilton Head Concours Palmetto award November 2007
    * WP Chrysler Nationals Farmington, Pennsylvania Best in Class and People's Choice awards
    * AACA Grand National Senior at Topeka, Kansas September 2009
    * 1st in Class and Best of Show at Billings All Original Car Show July 2012
    * 413/375 V-8 engine
    * Dual 4-barrel carburetors
    * Torqueflite 3-speed automatic transmission
    * Factory Code ZZ1 Terracotta with Beige leather interior
    * Air conditioning and heat
    * Golden Tone radio
    * 35 amp generator
    * Power windows and seat
    * Locking gas cap

When it came to luxury touring models, among the names that have topped the charts were the Chrysler 300s in the transitional years of 1955-65, and this very special 300F was one of just 248 convertibles built in 1960. Like others in this collection, this particular car has won numerous accolades, including an AACA Grand National Senior award, Chrysler 300 Nationals Best of Show and First in Concours Class Judging, and WP Chrysler Club Best in Class and People’s Choice honors. These awards are the exemplary result of its appearance and conditioning, as this car is stunningly appointed from any angle. Noteworthy are the upswept rear fins with crisply rendered accents, special 300 letter-series trim—including the rear deck “spare” chrome detail—and the introduction of the cross-hair grille design. Appointed with a red soft top, this car harkens one’s thoughts to the dawn of the ‘60s, its promises and hopes. Few knew that Chrysler itself was struggling with internal politics at that moment, resulting in the afterthought that this was among the final “pure” renderings of visionary stylist Virgil Exner’s designs. Moreover, the 1960 Chrysler 300F, sixth in the letter series, was the first-ever model to feature Chrysler’s legendary ram-induction intake design as standard equipment. This featured dual 4-barrel carburetors on its 413/375 HP RB-series engine mounted outboard toward the fenders on 30-inch runner manifolds, allowing the effect of “ram tuning” in the passing gear range. The engine is backed by the pushbutton selector TorqueFlite automatic transmission. Finished in beautiful ZZ1 Terracotta paint with a beige interior, this spacious car showcases the special full-length center console with four bucket seats, and it’s further equipped with air conditioning and heat, a Golden Tone radio, the 35-amp generator, power windows and power seat. Wide whitewall tires and specialty 300 wheel covers are its crowning touch of class. Majestic in design and color, this award-winning, ram-induction Chrysler 300F is peerless in many ways.

02.JPG
    03.JPG
    04.JPG
    05.JPG
    06.JPG
    07.JPG
    08.JPG
    09.JPG
    10.JPG
    11.JPG
    12.JPG
    13.JPG
    14.JPG
    15.JPG
    16.JPG
    17.JPG
    18.JPG
    19.JPG
    20.JPG

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Never2low, loudbang, abe lugo and 7 others like this.
  7. Vondergoltz

Vondergoltz

Thank you for your detailed reply. At some point I'm sure it will be sold as is. Everything is there with the exception of the 413. The interior is all there, but in very bad shape. It's a barn car. I can take more pictures at some point.

kidcampbell71 and Hamtown Al like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

The first step in determining value, is to take more pictures...

A friend had one of those years ago, neat car! His was not all original, but he didn't worry about the value, he just had fun driving it around.

$5k-20k is a good starting point for "as is" condition, missing the motor. It's worth what someone will pay for it.

HEMI32 likes this.
  9. Squablow

Squablow

If this car is available for $5K I'll take it. Anywhere in the world, just let me know where to pick it up.

10. squirrel

squirrel

Exactly. If you are looking to buy it, offer 5. If you're looking to sell it, start at 20. In both cases, be prepared to adjust your number based on how long you want to wait, etc.

11. BJR

BJR

What a spaceship!!! Must be awesome to drive.

12. evintho

evintho

Dude, gotta get more pics!! That car is awesome!

13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Very special, very rare, very desirable! The value will depend mostly on the F-specific parts that may be missing. Hopefully its original engine is around, even if it's not in the car. Sourcing an early 413 isn't hard but finding all the small bits for the intake and exhaust sure is. If it's as complete as you say, I agree with the post above to start the "buy" offers at 5k and the "sell" offers at 20k and see where it winds up. It will be expensive to restore, but will be one of the very few cars that has a chance to be worth more than the cost of restoration. Good luck!

HEMI32 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. @big M

Huge Forward Look Mopar man. Parts availability, pricing ... buy or sell. Google him, if he doesn't respond here. That's also the name of his parts supply yard.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Vondergoltz

Vondergoltz

Thanks. I appreciate all the good advice on this forum.

16. Cruised a lot in a red / white one in high school. 413 with the 2x4's
    We could only get it if my friends father was out of town.

loudbang likes this.
  17. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

18. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

A friend of mine bought a 300F out from under me but I didn't hold it against him. I figured he would do a better job due to money factor.He had a spectacular junk yard , packed with old stuff. and he had some hats made with 300F convertibles on them with his business' name on them. He gave me one and I look forward to retiring from work and helping him on the 300F it was a hardtop not a convert. Well he died of cancer before he could do the resto. and all I have of our 20 year association is the red hat.The car sits in his shop unless his widow has sold it. And she knows what it's worth. No fairy tale ending here.I've been off the Hamb for a few years , about timed with his demise. Small note, I had a 69 RR I put a long CrossRam on It wasn't as fast as a tunnel ram would have been but the eye candy and the weird sound a long ram makes at peak torque made it worth cutting the inner fenders.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Yes, John Fowlie really knows Forward Look Mopars ... as do dozens of other HAMBers (some of which have already posted in this thread).

HAMBers @StillOutThere & @johnl are very knowledgeable about Chrysler 300 letter cars ... both have owned many 300s ... including '60 300 Fs:

Wayne's 1960 Chrysler 300F Special Gran Turismo (front).jpg
    Wayne's 1960 Chrysler 300F Special Gran Turismo (side).jpg
    Wayne's 1960 Chrysler 300F Special Gran Turismo (rear).jpg
    @StillOutThere's 1960 Chrysler 300 F Special Gran Tourismo

@johnl's 1960 Chrysler 300 F Coupe

loudbang likes this.
  20. Okay.

So, Im positively, guaranteed, not a Mopar expert ... and I frequently don't post here lately, because I'm merely a parts collector, working on his pile. In self muting/watching mode ... where I freely admit, everyone's d#cks here, are much bigger than mine.

Mr. John Fowlie/Big M .. has the "Rusty" Fury convertible thread here, where he disassembles and drops the entire body into a molasses tank and proceeds to drive it cross country thereafter, following his Mopar yard sourced restoration.

He deals in this stuff, on a daily basis, professionally, and intellectually ... and is one of a few, connected to, the hard to find, Forward Look parts sources. Hence my add to you, Squablow, Gotgas, Squirrel and other noteworthy HAMB'r's here. No toe stepping from me, ever ... in that regard. My favorite people in this thread, including YOU actually, man. So whatever.

Anyways ... this car is badass, and whomever the lucky person that gets it is ... I will always be ecstatically envious of. It's a high watermark car, for many enthusiasts, worldwide. Not just here. Not just me. Thanks.

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=71592&posts=13&mid=583828

Screenshot_20190621-162711_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190621-162939_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190621-162901_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190621-163013_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190621-162827_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190621-162748_Chrome.jpg

HAVE A GREAT DAY !!!!

loudbang likes this.
  21. Chrys 68

Chrys 68
    from Sweden

22. khead47

khead47

I ha 'a 1960 Saratoga with the 383 Golden Lion engine. That beast could move, considering it's mass.

23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Looks like the car was pink, salmon, or whatever color they chose to call it.....
    I cant say Im a follower of these specific cars but any car of that era restored in those type original colors are a undeniable beauty in my book;)

24. 37 roadster

37 roadster

did you figure out what you were going to ask for the 60

25. @kidcampbell71 -

It seems you took my post the wrong way ... I was agreeing with you that John knows his FL stuff ... and was just pointing out that other HAMBers know their FL stuff as well ... and that some of them have posted in this thread as well as on the Forward Look Network forum thread (e.g., Gotgas = 57burb, etc.).

Next time I'm in Texas, we can all have a group hug :rolleyes: :D