Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Av8 Roadster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lodaddyo, Sep 17, 2016.

1. 31fords

31fords
    from SoCal

That chassis is clean! Keep at it. Just seeing those pictures got me motivated to drive the old banger for a few hours today even though I had other things to tend to today. Like Aaron D said. When you get to hear that engine fire up for the first time you will be grinning ear to ear. And you will never forget the first drive you take in it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I get what you're saying. I'm the same way. Too many interests, not enough time. Just work on it when the mood hits. We'll all just enjoy the updates when they come. This is supposed to he fun, right? There's no fun in forcing yourself to do stuff.

redoxide, brEad, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  3. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Man you guys are awesome! Thats exactly what i needed to hear. Sorry to be a debbie downer. These last few years have been crazy with work and family, i work a rotating 12 hour shift and average about 1200 hours of OT the last couple years. I just get down when i see how fast people make progress on the interweb, how most of them have huge support systems, clubs, friends. Also i get overwhelmed and i turn around and go back inside. Lol. I wish mine would be going along as fast. But ill get there. The body is almost ready for paint, need to block it once more and we should be good to go. My goal is to have it painted by the end of this month. Thanks for the pep talk guys. I really needed it!

1947knuck, redoxide, Dannerr and 5 others like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...By the way you did a great job on the Hubcaps...;)

5. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

thanks!

Stogy likes this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

A lot of guys don’t post in real time so it often appears work is going faster. Lots of people don’t post the 35 fuck ups before they get the part right so then it feels like everyone else is nailing shit out of the gate.

Realistically your not any slower than the rest of us. You got this. I’ve plenty of friends who spent 9 years getting their car together and once it’s on the road no one cares. Just keep chugging along man

7. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Great looking roadster. I totally know what you are saying. I just posted some pictures of mine to boost my motivation. Hopefully these spurts of working on these will produce a good build in the end. Keep at it.

Dannerr and lodaddyo like this.
  8. magnus13

magnus13
    from California

I've been on mine since 2016 and still don't have an engine for it. Expect another year or two before it's done.

I read on here when things slow down, do at least one thing daily, no matter how small it is. Screenshot_20190608-200140_Gallery.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

My grandson told me he can't do anything right, so I took him out to the shop and showed him the scrap barrel and told him that these were the parts that did not work when I built them and then I made the right one that worked. Told him that we learn from our mistake. That's how it's done.
    A younger body man who was working next to me asked me one day how I know how to get out of the problems he kept getting into.
    I said because I had been in them and had to work my way out, and if he got into one I didn't know how to get out of we would have fun figuring it out together. He became a really good body man . We have been close friends over 30 years.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  10. I hear yah - my life is super busy and I tend to go in big spurts . . . then do other things (family and friends), then back at it. One thing that always helps me is to get the engine started, hear it run and let the sound be an inspiration. BUT - don't make the mistake of running it in the driveway very much - it needs to be put under load and broken in. So, get it started, hear that fun flathead sound and use that to push yourself along. Once you have it on the road - even if not yet done, that will really help you along. Best of luck - really nice build.

Stogy and lodaddyo like this.
  11. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Just found this thread. You've got it. Your roadster has that '40s look nailed. Your attention to detail is brilliant. Work on it when you can, or when you want. Your results thus far are great.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

redoxide, Stogy and lodaddyo like this.
  12. roadsterman32

roadsterman32
    from wi

IT all looks great. Best way to get it done is with a deadline, makes you work your butt off. I think we all hit that wall sometimes. Good luck.

lodaddyo likes this.
  13. Just saw your thread and I like everything you have done. I would have made the same choices. Wish I lived closer, I would be there busting your balls. Go Man Go!:cool:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  14. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Thanks guys, i have a deadline of making the Bayou Roundup in Lafayette, Louisiana in October. Last night i test fit my new cowl band from Brattons. Fit perfect. Im off for the next couple days. Hoping to get this thing ready to spray next weekend. One more round of blocking should do it. I also fabbed up a mount for my seatbelts. And a battery box. Got the glass installed in my windshield frame, needless to say i was not happy about half the logo left on the glass. The glass shop didnt want to change it out, so instead of giving me my money back he cut me antother glass (with no logo) So ill be installing that one myself. It was hell getting the glass out of the frame with all that urethane he used. Im gonna try to get it put in sometime this week. My seat and panels are schedueld for upholstery next month. A while back i fabbed up a rack to hold my grille shell and both doors for painting. Should work out ok

C159E13C-F8B0-4EFC-B5F2-F1434B61921D.jpeg 7892FA38-A679-4EB6-8B46-96B11AD981BE.jpeg A303BF8E-1546-4B0A-BF76-7DE3FF9FEA83.jpeg 05BA1810-03A8-4FD2-9208-BF255E10FE1D.jpeg D54A5970-032A-4FEB-BFE1-F80D84A8040E.jpeg 1AF9F9CC-6AA8-4332-A937-B299AA94F9C0.jpeg 295A07D2-66F2-4810-9965-5EBBC546A5BB.jpeg D0145344-F63B-4FFD-A3AE-956042F2A909.jpeg
    750B525C-8C80-40CD-A1B2-26436C9FE196.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  15. Man, that chassis is awesome!
    And though you may not realize it, you're going through a lot of the same stuff others are. Motivation ebbs and flows. I have interested friends, but none of them are close by. And of course, work and life gets in the way. We all have the same struggles at one time or another.
    Keep at it! It's going to be a killer car.

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't be too discouraged about discouragement. I don't think it's really discouragement anyway. Funny how what makes us happy or what's important changes from day to day. Partly circumstances, partly our psycho... I mean psyche. Even though you have a deadline, I hope you enjoy the process of your build. A great one, it is.

Go with the flow, bro.
    Way to go, lodaddyo.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I being a follower of many inspiring build threads do care to see follow ups showcasing the continuing journey...Builds are great to follow but the final product in it's element to me is equally complimentary so seeing some scenic/action photos, video and minor tweaking offer know how as well...

Another interesting thing I have seen in threads is when there has been a change in ownership or caretaking of a former build the thread is brought back to the top once again. Old threads are like buried treasure...I miss some threads as there are so many...they really don't ever get old...

18. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

The cowl band and fuel cap look great. Nice fab work on the battery tray and seat belt mount. This thing is going to be bad ass when you're done.

brEad, Stogy and lodaddyo like this.
  19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Man...What a roadster! Every detail covered, exhaustive work! (especially for one who works a 10 day job for 12 hr. shifts???)
    My '32 Five window was built similarly, at Grandma's house. Had help from older club members, I was 16. All the way up, from bare frame rails. Body was nice...
    But yours is amazing. Thanks for the intimate details, pedals were solved ingeniously.
    Good (excellent) coverage on the steering box 'journey'...Also, hear you on the windshield frustration. (I have a glass guy that's not quite 'agreeable' to perfect.)
    Please paint and rub, drop that beautiful body on and take us for a cellphone ride.

Stogy, lodaddyo and Never2low like this.
  20. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Thanks guys! Im definitely back in the mood to work on this thing, i guess seeing other people excited about it makes me excited. Hopefully ill have some good progress to share in the next couple months. Thanks for the support!

21. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Happy Fathers day to all you dads out there. This weekend i managed to get the body blocked for the last time. I sprayed one more coat of primer and will start wet sanding soon for paint. I got the headlight buckets painted and a few small items. I also have to go back to the paint store because the paint i had mixed up is not even close to what i wanted. Always something.
    79597F41-B805-486D-8E96-8769FCD566D7.jpeg 838848CF-9867-4088-94FF-10994C50E2EC.jpeg 17324918-5718-4A39-BD77-CE7024442A85.jpeg
    Not bad for right off the gun in my high tech open air paint booth haha

22. What Color?:confused: Not Black?:eek:

23. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Not black!

1947knuck, Never2low and Stogy like this.
  24. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Headlights look great. The body looks great too, can't wait to see it in color.

25. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Thanks Aaron. Hopefully soon we’ll have some color. Back to the paint store this week. Hopefully they can just add some toner to this gallon and get closer to what i wanted.

1947knuck and Stogy like this.
  26. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Cleaned all the old urethane out my windshield frame channels, test fit the new glass. I think this time around im gonna use some glass setting tape
    7C42C8CF-7D87-439B-B48C-9AA73978198F.jpeg

27. OK, then what color? I can't stand the suspense!:rolleyes:

lodaddyo and Stogy like this.
  28. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Haha. Ill give you a hint. Its on this vw chart
    EF08A8AE-822D-448A-B9E8-93590363A03E.jpeg

29. My choice's would be: Alabaster Gray - Safari Beige - Anamite - Sierra Beige - Is it one of these?

30. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

you nailed it,L473, don't tell anyone! :)