Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What have you done to keep your vehicle from being stolen?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace61, Jun 16, 2019.

1. I'm not sure if this has been posted but I couldn't find it. On my grama's old chevelle when you pushed in the cigarette lighter it grounded the coil and wouldn't start. Also on my dad's old pickup he would shut off the fuel
    I'm building my high school pickup (65 GMC) and was wondering what ideas the hamb has to use.
    Todd

dana barlow, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Do like I did......build something nobody would want to steal :eek:

3. weeniewawa

weeniewawa

install a manual transmission.

chiro, fourspeedwagon, dan c and 32 others like this.
  4. Chained mine to a fence

chiro, VANDENPLAS, Ace61 and 4 others like this.

5. Binkman

Binkman

Here in California it is to the point that if you don't want it stolen, then park it where you have eyes on it all the time. If they want it, they will get it if it is unattended.
    I have seen the best secutity systems bypassed in less than 3 minutes.
    They have tow equipment now that can snatch and run.
    Overseas buyers, gone in an instant.
    I don't go to any of the big events overnight anymore.
    Too many cars and bikes disappearing, even trucks and trailers.
    Back in the 70's we would go to Lodi or the Western Nationals and leave the car all night with no worries- not anymore.
    Hot August Nights was also great place until it became a ghetto zone.
    Now I would not park an Abrams tank without a guard.

6. wicarnut

wicarnut

I used to put a hidden toggle type kill switch on ignition system, later years with electric fuel pumps, same thing, a switch on power to fuel pump. This stops kids and amatures, My best advice to you is make sure it's properly insured.

belair, VANDENPLAS, Ace61 and 8 others like this.
  7. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Used to be an old trick of running a toggle switch to I believe the negative on the coil and then ground it not allowing the points to open so it won't start.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

last time I had to leave my Dodge outside over night I chained it to a pole and took the battery out. it worked, it was still there in the morning.

Ace61, kiwijeff, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  9. RmK57

RmK57

I use a steering wheel lock and yes I know the thieves can snip the steering wheel, but at least it slows them down. I also have a hidden kill switch. One last thing and probably the best deterrent is the vehicle is 3 spd manual on the column.

sport fury, VANDENPLAS, Mahty and 5 others like this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

I kinda the idea of having a .50 cal mounted on the Abrams with plenty of ammo....

INVISIBLEKID, hrm2k, Ace61 and 5 others like this.
  11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Many units have replaced the .50 cal with the Mk 19 40 mm belt-fed automatic grenade launcher.

INVISIBLEKID, Ace61, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Temptation is a wonderful thing and for one ripping off someones Pride and Joy it's worthy of a stern response...but you might also end up receiving same...I hope for all this is just a discussion but yeah this shit is for real...

I DO lock the doors, windows up at shows, cruises and anywhere else I park...Always store inside locked garage when at home. I even leave it inside at home till I go out...minimizing gawkers who for the most part are no less than that BUT all it takes is one who has ill intent. I will not service it anywhere it won't be indoors overnight.

I do also do spot checks or sit near a window where its visible to me...Used to do same with the Ole Harley...Knock on wood it's worked to this day...;)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    VANDENPLAS, Ace61, wicarnut and 3 others like this.
  13. …column shift, and a foot starter button.

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

15. Deuces

Deuces

Ok, how about a battery powered portable mini gun?????... :cool:
    aka, "the shreader"???... :mad::D

16. trollst

trollst

Really, there's nothing you can do but slow them down, I use a hidden kill switch, locked garage, but if a guy wants it, its gone. Once in your shop, they have time to steal it, outside, the wrecker gets it, alarm blazing away makes people laugh at your misfortune. The only guard you have is to park where you can see it, not let strangers in your yard or shop.

17. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...I see a bunch of Bananas is in Order...:D

19. Binkman

Binkman

Your advice about strangers in your shop is spot on.
    A local guy wanted to get some interior work done on the cheap so he hired a local guy with a sketchy reputation to do the work in his own shop since the guy did not have a big enough place to work in.
    Before long, dirt balls were showing up to visit the upholstery guy. I was there once and saw what was going on. I told the guy to fire the interior guy immediately and put an alarm in.
    He didn't do either and was broken into not long after.
    I don't let anyone in my shop that I don't know, and I told everyone I know not to bring anyone over that I don't know. Not being a prick, just cautious.
    Unless you are at your shop 24/7 or have a guard dog that is how you have to be.
    The drug problem is out of control and your stuff is how they feed it, unfortunately.

20. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have a full tonneau cover and hidden switches to turn off the fuel pump, fuel line and battery. Always put the steering wheel under my pillow! Also have a pull switch and no key.
    8D4C4D5A-CADC-4591-B2BF-F59F3ED17881.jpeg

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a friend who has a serious collection and remains to this day very private with it and he has at least once had his shop broken into with things taken that made him suspect it was someone he had met at his shop...It really adds a dark side to who are you meeting at any moment your rides are exposed to the masses.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  22. Deuces

Deuces

I love it!...:D

23. Saw this on the web someplace.Trailers get stolen a lot,and this guy had a good idea.Cut a piece of 1/4 inch ply wood round the same size as your tire.Drill the wheel bolt pattern on it.Put the trailer on a jack stand on one side just off the ground.Remove rim,and replace with round ply wood.Put full wheel cover over plywood.Now it looks like your protecting the tire/rim from the sun.Try,and move it,and its not going far.Bit of work,but it gives you peace of mind your toy wont go easy.

bobss396 and Ace61 like this.
  24. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

When I go on vacation I take one of the front wheels off and hide it somewhere else...….

25. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Have to be super careful with that. Some people like to blab too, it's in their nature for some reason, they can't wait to tell everyone all the cool stuff some guy has. Also if you happen to monitor the goings on in your local area with the "neighborhood " website apps, there's the usual "I lost my cat" stuff and SPAM advertising, but there's always sketchy people and sketchy cars, people checking stuff out, posing as salesman or contractors, walking through backyards, peeking in windows, all kinds of stuff. Broad daylight is a good time to do this thievery stuff too, many people are at work.

weeniewawa, Ace61 and Stogy like this.
  26. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Even people who are a casual acquaintance you should be cautious. You do not know their friends.

27. What have you done to keep your vehicle from being stolen?

The first thing I would do is, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER post on line what you did to prevent your car from being stolen!!! ;)

I never even thought of half of the things you guys posted...

28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Exactly.

Montana1 and Ace61 like this.
  29. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Ford Engine = rotor button in my pocket . Most of my junk , I have to pay someone to take it no worries about it getting stolen . No one knows the dance to fire off the kicker Harley , and it leaves a trail . The diesel is so loud I can’t drive it to the graveyard to see loved ones , it will awake everyone there . No one wants that to deal with either !

VANDENPLAS, Ace61 and irishsteve like this.
  30. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Sold it.

Ace61 likes this.