Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see some sheet metal shaping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhnarial, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This is how they were done, using a bead machine, tank roller dies, roll and shrinkers. IMG_7702.JPG

1952B3b23, MP&C, JOYFLEA and 3 others like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Nice work Marty!
    But you just know there's a pizza guy reading this and saying "what a waste of a good pie pan".

osage orange likes this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Maybe I should go into the giant pizza pan business.

loudbang likes this.
  4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool!

loudbang likes this.
  5. MP&C

MP&C

Marty, beautiful work on the fender extensions!

To finish off the running board skirts, some epoxy primer was brushed into the hem fold, given a couple days to cure, and then seam sealer added to keep out the moisture..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

….then another dose of epoxy over the seam sealer, and everything primed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't get pictures of spraying the blue, so the finals will have to do. John is tying up the loose ends, the running board skirts were installed the other night.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dump body has been painted and he should get that installed today or tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He will get it loaded up around Wednesday for the trip to Macungie PA for the truck show this coming weekend.

biggeorge, brEad, D-Russ and 5 others like this.
  6. MP&C

MP&C

Here's the finished product.... John has the Biederman loaded up and is headed up to Macungie PA today for the truck show this weekend.

[​IMG]

This is the "tow" vehicle with Ian Watson, who is visiting from Melbourne Australia.

[​IMG]

Some pics from the Macungie show, photo credit Pat66, Stovebolter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Beautiful trucks.
    I got a hitchhike ride in one of those Ford cab-overs as a teen. Not for the weak-of-kidneys.

MP&C and loudbang like this.
  8. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Boat tail for a narrowed model a.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. Beautiful work!

Instagram: @39_deluxe

10. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

A new aluminum body I started on not to long ago

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

an inner fender i made for a buick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

You do beautiful work.

loudbang likes this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not HAMB friendly but my best work is shaping it "flat" IMG_0445.JPG

Attached Files:

Okie Pete, Dino 64, MP&C and 2 others like this.
  13. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

loudbang and 1952B3b23 like this.
  14. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

15. Work4it

Work4it

Toreadorxlt, that boat tail is awesome, I love the bead work. Not much CAD work to be seen there.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Work4it

Work4it

So far my toughest sheet metal forming project was making some wing root fairings for my dad's 3/4 scale P51 experimental aircraft several years ago. My dad an a good friend of his has spent a few years putting a kit plane together and when it came to wing root fairings the kit did not offer a sexy solution for the fairings. A friend of his had made some fiberglass fairings and they turned out pretty good so the discussion was, what to do better then the other guy.

Pictures below, not sure if anyone cares to read all this.

I had recently finished a work project which was 6 foot globe using aluminum panels over a square tube frame and dad thought I needed to take a shot at making some fairings for his plane. The globe project felt like it took about ten million man hours, little did I know what I was getting myself into next.

After doing some research on what aluminum to use, how and what to use to weld it together I jumped in and got started. I used .040 3000 series aluminum, which was about twice as thick as a lot of the aircraft grade aluminum skin.

After making some paper templates I jumped in on it. It went pretty good at first, the soft aluminum was way easier to form than the previous aluminum project I had done using .080 5052 sheet. I hammered and wheeled and hammer and wheeled and annealed several times. It was pretty rough at first and was starting to take shape and then I got a little impatient with one of my annealings, I found out how easy is was to make a big hole in aluminum sheet using a rose bud. I did not take any pictures of this early work, or at least I could not find them, the build pictures start with the left wing leading edge pieces fitted together with gaf tape.

After getting the leading edge sections to fit well I gas welded them together using a little acetylene torch and a roll of mig welding rod. I did several practice pieces before I got up enough nerve to weld the two pieces together that I just spent so many hours making, we worked on the plane only on Thursday nights so it seemed to take weeks to get this far. The most stretched area of the top piece had thinned to just under .030 and I was terrified to ruin it at this point. Once welded together I trimmed up the edges and did some final wheel work to get them to fit nice and tight.

I then had to tackle the section over the wing, this is when I got onto TinmanTech and ordered an planishing hammer head and dies to make a heavy duty hammer to do the dirty work. I did all of my stretching with the plannishing hammer with a soft lower die and hard upper punch to stretch the aluminum. Then I would wheel is smooth and go back to the hammer annealing when the aluminum started to ring when hammered.

This is getting long so I will short cut it from here.

The back section was easier to make but still had its challenges, it had to be removable and fit very flat to the side of the plane.. I taped pictures from real P51s to the side of dad's plane trying to make them look authentic.

I did not start riveting anything to the plane until I got both sides complete, I guess I just did not have enough confidence in myself. The sections are glued and riveted on from the leading edge to the back of the piece over the wing. With a little bit fine tuning at the seams the project was done.

I learned a ton on this project and have not done that much wheel and hammer work since. DSC_0826.jpg DSC_0827.jpg DSC_1073.jpg DSC_1074.jpg DSC_1117.jpg DSC_1571.jpg DSC_1572.jpg DSC_1575.jpg DSC_1577.jpg DSC_1589.jpg DSC_1590.jpg DSC_1621.jpg DSC_3664.jpg

17. Jorge cardozo and loudbang like this.
  18. Work4it

Work4it

Thanks for the kind work brEad. There are some amazing metal shapers here, very inspiring.

I wish I could work with a bunch of these guys, and had more time to spend in the shop.

19. MP&C

MP&C

Anybody who can pull off reverses like you did can hold his own, very nice work!

20. chev34ute

chev34ute

643057D1-886C-4B6F-B4F3-AD9AF8E30051.jpeg 556C8588-2B74-4139-BFEE-84AF1837AD50.jpeg 840150E7-633C-468D-8BA7-8A46B347E17B.jpeg Here are some patch panels I shaped up for some 34 Chevrolet fenders earlier in the year.

Jorge cardozo, brEad, fauj and 4 others like this.
  21. chev34ute

chev34ute

Some of the Model A Roadster Panels I am shaping up at the moment. 8233512C-F2CF-4390-A5F2-92C2DB66D43B.jpeg A81908D9-5320-4186-84ED-2BFA8D06DC63.jpeg AEF9CFFF-5204-4E84-9E22-B5BFE0AD5497.jpeg

brEad, Okie Pete, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  22. chev34ute

chev34ute

0920DF55-6808-4A36-B18B-3711AE375E8D.jpeg 1929 Model A Valance Panel I made up from 18 gauge to replace the rusted original one.

biggeorge, brEad, Okie Pete and 4 others like this.
  23. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Damned fine work on that tail, sir.

Slick as hell.

Us oval guys gotta make 'em flat like that, so we can "walk 'em straight" again after the on-track alterations. ;)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The Lakester on the salt. IMG_3295.JPG IMG_3303.JPG IMG_3306.JPG

bymanr, biggeorge, brEad and 9 others like this.
  25. Nice work men
    Sent from my Moto E (4) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  26. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

27. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

Would make awesome good for a lot 40 ford custom.

Jorge cardozo and loudbang like this.