Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What Did you Buy at the LARS Swap Meet?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, Jun 16, 2019.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Lots of great photos of the cars in the Show and Swap Meet, but what did you buy? :):)

Bob

2. 32Stoker

32Stoker

I tried to find some 16” slicks and Bonneville wheels/tires...but no luck.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd like to see photos of the parts people didn't buy as well, there had to be some rare things in the lot. Bob

4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Picked up these cylinder heads. For a future project when I upgrade the engine in my 30 pickup, I'll already have the heads for it. Rebuilt 461 heads w/ 1.94" intake valves. I may have my engine building buddy tear them down and inspect them, then I'll wrap them up and put them away until I need them.
    20190615_154610.jpg 20190615_154625.jpg 20190615_154645.jpg 20190615_154653.jpg 20190615_154732.jpg

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I didn't buy this, but I was intrigued, never seen or heard of one before.
    DSC_1269.jpg DSC_1270.jpg DSC_1271.jpg

swade41, 41rodderz and Jalopy Joker like this.
  6. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

What the hell was the builder of those heads thinking ?
    The springs are upside down..!
    Bad idea for many reasons, and can't even take advantage of WHY they were designed in the first place..!

Blues' -
    I'd be checking those heads really...closely.

Mike

P.s. - I didn't buy a thing.

jimmy six, saltflats and Blues4U like this.
  7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Thanks Mike, I will have them disassembled and checked. I have a good contact for that.

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best deal of the entire meet IMO was the 2 for 5 bucks last years LA Roadster XL Tee shirts. Got a good deal on a set of YOM plates for my '54 Ranch Wagon from a fellow HAMBer and an o/t folding bike for a friend. Nothing else really caught my eye but I did get a lead on some parts for the Ranch Wagon. Again, IMO it seemed as though people were pretty proud of their stuff but that could just be because I'm a cheep old SOB.

stillrunners likes this.
  9. ssaza25

ssaza25
    from arizona

Did not buy much as m IMG_5223.JPG ost parts were over priced but did pick this up

Jalopy Joker and 41rodderz like this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah, unfortunately they didn't have any XL size....

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Blues4U likes this.
  12. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought 2 XL in gray on the way into the meet. Checked on some more in white on the way out but by then all the XL's were long gone.

Blues4U likes this.
  13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They didn't have the tool to expand the spring seat or the the proper retainers so they put them in upside down. The statement "What a maroon" comes to mind...

Frankie47 likes this.
  14. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I think the show is BACK! The swap meet was run very well....pre reserved spaces....no mad dash once you got inside or have to camp out for hours or days to be early in line. Return on Saturday was a breeze as a vendor...just drove right in. Last time I sold there when I came back on Saturday...took forever to get in. No returning vendor line...you were just stuck in behind everyone else. Pretty lame. Anyway...got these two old beauties...the Hollywood Hot Rod manual is from 1947..and its original. 20190616_123205.jpg

15. Fogger

Fogger

I run original Stewart-Warner gauges in my three cars and have been replacing the amp meters with volt meters. Found an original nos S&W volt meter for my '55 Delray. There was so much candy, as my friends call nos parts, that I could have filled my trunk. Again it was a great show!!!!

Special Ed and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  16. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I wear 4XL........try finding those at any event...lol.

Truckdoctor Andy and Blues4U like this.
  17. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

The show was great and the swap meet .

deucemac, Cyclone Kevin and tofords like this.
  18. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I haven't been to the show in 15 years (in Texas)... So much stuff in that swap I started going 'snow-blind'...
    I had a few things I needed but the goal just became to see everything before I dropped dead...

Only thing I came close on was a Sharp offset generator mount for a flatty... But I need Drivers Side and the guy had a beat Passenger side that he tried to convince me was the ds...

Difference between this time and 15years ago was that you could find smoking deals there 15years ago... This time, it seemed like all the prices started at "top-dollar" and went up from there. :D

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  19. flatford39

flatford39

Those are Dellorto carbs for a small block chevy. They are very similar to Webers just Italian. I have a pair on my OT Alfa Romeo. They are good carbs and parts are available.

Blues4U likes this.
  20. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Nothing bought this year. I tried to buy some 1927 Coupe rear window brackets from a guy but he wanted to sell the entire '27 Coupe shell and wouldn't part it out.
    It was a shit bucket. He never sold it. He would have made $30 off of me.

21. I spent $10 on a new 46 Hub Cap for the spare on my RPU. I could have spent lots more but a tad hard to carry it back to NZ, my Wife wanted to buy the 30 A 2 dr Tourer, could have had it for $9K. JW

22. I bought small stuff, large logo S/W oil pressure gauge for $3, early'28 parts....nothing much. I was looking for some SBC and '56 chevy truck parts, but didn't find anything. Just really enjoyed the swap, there was a lot of great buys and stuff there.

I didn't take too many pics this time, but I did see this.

engine-1.jpg
    engine-2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    s55mercury66 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Did ya move back Phil? If so, where ya located?
    PM me.
    CK.

24. Bought a couple of Ford spoon pedals and a 1950 BSA ZB34 motorcycle engine.

You never know what you will find at a swap meet. I have found some great hotrod parts at motorcycle swap meets and some great motorcycle parts at car swap meets. Lots of people have cross hobby interests.

26. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

That was nice... Actually, the best deal there might have been a guy who had a HAL (I think) DOHC on a heavily modified banger block for $7500... Not cheap for sure, but still, for what was there and if it was all legit and usable, probably a bargain.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  27. That sucks, everything ok?. I think I might have a spare rim if you need one. BTW that wasn't my truck next to you...that one was too nice. There was a lot of '40/'41 trucks there and it looked black from a distance.

28. No, I'm good, thanks for the offer....I saw your truck a few spots down, it's looking good! I had a good time, enjoyed the show.....

Special Ed likes this.
  29. magnus13

magnus13
    from California

What's been happening to LARS over the years? It seems like it shrinks each year by about 3/4 from the year prior. I thought the swap meet was the best part. Spent a whole day wandering through everything and I picked up some super clean 682 headlights and a bypass oil filter for my coming flathead. So much cool stuff there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. HOTRODRONNY

HOTRODRONNY

Swap meet this year was better then the other promoter had the show. Thanks LA roadsters for coming back to run it 20190615_111658.jpg

kidcampbell71 and 40ragtopdown like this.