Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Swapping transmissions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kjvma131, May 1, 2019.

1. kjvma131

kjvma131
    from New Jersey

Hello all. Looking for some Ford transmission interchange info. I have a 1946 Ford truck 226 G series flathead 6. It has a 4 speed non synchronized transmission. I was curious about putting a 1951 3 speed heavy duty trans behind the motor. The 4 speed looks like it has a cast front bellhousing , and the 3 speed has the later style split bellhousing like the 8ba flathead. Any adapter plates or other options I can pursue? Keep in mind the engine is the earlier flathead 6 and is not the same as the 47 and up H series. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

The G series and H series use the same style bellhousing that will match up to the pre 48 transmission with the integrated hogs head. So you would basically need the adapter for a late ford transmission to the pre 48 flathead.
    I'm sure someone else will elaborate more on that.

3. Or find a '49--51 Merc 3 speed overdrive trans. Must be at least 4 of them left in the world.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. I got one,that makes 5.

5. rkldesign

rkldesign
    from Napa, Ca

Did you ever get a answer on what to swap the non-synchro with?

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The T98 4 speed debut in the F1 years. Those early T98s in the F trucks had the removeable hogs head. Some of the non synchro 4 speeds also had a removeable hogs head that can be bolted to the round pattern engine bell.
    If the hogs head on your 4 speed is removable, it may can be bolted to the HD 3 speed. This may require drilling and tapping and maybe machining for mainshaft housing (input) clearance.
    One issue you will have is the '53 transmission had no tail shaft mount.....if it is indeed 53-64.
    Likely the easiest thing to do besides learning to double clutch, is to find a light or heavy duty top shift 3 speed from a 48-52 F"truck. This will bolt right up to the round bell.

7. kjvma131

kjvma131
    from New Jersey

I spoke to Mac Van pelt, he said it cant be done. I am just going to stay with the 4 speed for simplicity. Thank you for responding.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app