Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical front end

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roger didonato, Jun 16, 2019.

1. roger didonato

roger didonato

Have a 38 Dodge pickup want to use stock front springs & axle . Whats the best way to lower the front end? Thanx

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

If you wish some good ideas,put up photos of your set up. Often just taking some leafs out or coils off works

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. roger didonato

roger didonato

Thanx Dana

dana barlow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. You can have the axle dropped a couple inches.

5. pitman

pitman

[​IMG]
    Looks like a pair of fore & aft semi-elliptics.
    Moving mounts upward may, it depends on Dodge approach. (Search engine image)

6. roger didonato

roger didonato

Do you know of any one who does this?

7. roger didonato

roger didonato

I don't quite understand by Dodge approach. I'm from Pepperell I'm sure I've seen your truck somewhere.

8. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

9. gene-koning

gene-koning

Remove some of the leafs from each front spring. You can drop it a bunch by moving the axle above the springs, but a dropped axle is probably the best method. Gene

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Removing leaves is the worse idea anyone can offer up as the spring will sag until there is no more room to sag.. I wish guys would back off and quit throwing that stupid idea out.
    This is my right front spring in my truck < over in the avatar. There are still five leaves in the stack but over the miles they sagged until I have about 1-1/4 clearance between the cut off bumper and the frame sitting static on the garage floor. I'm not saying don't do it but when you remove leaves to lower them they keep on sagging because the spring is a lot weaker.
    [​IMG]

clem likes this.
  11. pitman

pitman

Roger, the truck is supposedly your year of Dodge. I looked for a clear front end shot.
    Point is, if it was possible to remount the spring hanger setups. Thus lower, if all still cleared.
    I used to cruise your neighborhood w/Dennis Slocomb. He owned Bob Nadeau's 37 Chev w/a Pontiac 347cu.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  12. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My 48 F1 was way over sprung for the size truck it was . I removed 4 leafs from a new set of stock springs , all was well for 70k when I sold it . Removing leaves from a new spring and remove 4 from a worn out spring is a new ball game . I would never remove any from old springs or you could end up worse than Mr 48Chev has expressed to you .

13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I have a ‘38 Plymouth truck and it’s got the wavy tube axle, not sure if the ‘38 Dodges had an I-bean or tube axle...