Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods av gas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackanblue, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Higher octane = more heat .

2. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

No it doesn't. It can take more heat before it detonates so it can run higher compression or more lead before it knocks.

Ericnova72, G-son and dirty old man like this.
  3. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

I believe Pete is confusing his flat head compression ratio with the 14.7:1 stoichiometric ratio for gasoline fuel. LOL

4. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

It is your head.. You can think anything you want with it.
    I meant what I said.

5. I put 115/145 av gas in my 47 Buick and drove it 5 miles , opened the hood and the whole exhaust manifold was glowing red. didn't do that any more.

6. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

But this wasn't the fault of the Avgas...it was your fault for not re-jetting the carb to match the different fuel.
    Jetted correctly it would have been just fine....although your Buick was probably of low enough compression it wouldn't have made a lick of power difference.

G-son likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is the compression ratio of your 355, and how much boost are you running (or what over/underdrive), and which blower?

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Back in the day we use to run 12.5 to 1 and even higher on the street and run it every day. To school, work, streetracing ect... We would get blue or even purple avgas and run leaded ethyl premium with it. You could just about throw all the timing you wanted at it. So much Tetraethyl in it, the carbs would be red on the outside. :D

9. A Boner

A Boner

I've heard that AV gas doesn't varnish up a carb like regular gas can. And it also stores better, if your vehicle sits unused a lot....like over winter.