Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New to me '54 Chevy

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by slo-dat, Nov 3, 2015.

1. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

The thing I don't like about the Genie shifter is no reverse lockout...

It seems the column comes down to opinion..

Copper Top likes this.
  2. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Your car, your column. If it looks good to you and it does what you want, go for it!!!

ChevyDeputy54 likes this.
  3. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

That's the plan ;)

4. rontiffany

rontiffany

Love it! Reminds me of my first car, a 54 Belair hardtop, 347 Pontiac/hydramatic! Lotsa fun!

5. cgc1958

cgc1958
    Member Emeritus
    1. 1957-59 Ranchero's

I agree!

6. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

Took the car to lunch today. It needs so much, and is an absolute blast to drive!

7. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

The car currently has a cheap "sprint car" steering wheel in it. It is flimsy. I'd like to replace it. I'm thinking about the green metal flake Moon Eyes 15" slotted spoke wheel. Curious what you guys thought..

Attached Files:

8. Go for it . I put a gold flake wheel from mooneyes in my 58 buick.

9. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

I'm undecided about the steering wheel. The repop 15" 55 Chevy wheels look cool to me, too. Hmm

I got the Walton Fab pedal setup squirted gloss black. I think I have everything I need to install the power booster and pedal setup.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455854353.037144.jpg

Next up is getting the AAW Highway 22 wiring harness ordered. The harness in the car is old or something. The insulation on the wire is brittle. There is just enough of that harness installed to make the car run and I didn't get the rest of it with the car. Given all of that I'm going to start fresh on the wiring. Hoping I can get the repop turn signal switch going in the stock column..

10. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Does that booster go on the firewall or mount under the floor like a stock one? I would like to keep the drop pedals on my avatar. I am using a 53 column in mine and I got a column shifter for it. I just need to make a detent and use I will use that.

11. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

The Walton Fabrication pedal setup I'm using is firewall mounted. I'm using an 8" double diaphragm booster. I'm looking for the column shift parts for my stock '54 column.

12. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Try old car parts in Portland. He had multiples. I was lucky enough to get one for hydromatic, just one shaft etc.

slo-dat likes this.
  13. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

Brake pedal and booster install is waiting for a dust boot that will work. I know once I get this installed it will be in the car until it gets disassembled for paint down the road.

As I've considered the direction to go with the car over the past few months I've changed my mind. Going to stick with the 327, keep the stock steering column and in general finish what was started with the car. I'm going to add some modern stuff - cruise control now and most likely a 700R4 down the line. I want to drive it, so it will get some work and then will be driven all summer. I think I've got a line on vent windows, windshield wiper parts and belt line trim.

Anyway, excited with the direction I'm going to take the car. Going to get the wiring harness and new fuel tank coming later this week.

little red 50 and Squablow like this.
  14. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

Steering wheel came today. I think I love it. Looking like I need to shorten the column about 3.5" to out the wheel where I want it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456451817.194092.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456451832.162621.jpg

I'm trying to sort out how the stock horn contact worked. I think the stationary ring the moving contact rides on is covered in paint. Does the moving contact ride on the end of the steering column outer tube?

Squablow likes this.
  15. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

Sweet ride! My 2 cents. Not fan of bumpers. Go brushed nickel!! Either way tho, it's your ride. Have fun!

16. rat nasty

rat nasty

I like the ride keep up the good work!

17. cretin

cretin

Yay! I'm glad you're keeping the column! ;)

18. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I just ordered a pile of parts. I hope to be installing the brake setup this weekend, provided a dust boot arrives.

19. MR CLEAN

MR CLEAN

That is one slick '54!!!! Looking forward to following this thread.

slo-dat likes this.
  20. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

Thank you. Your '34 is looking incredible! I'm a few weeks away from tearing into the '54..

21. Did you get the pedal assembly in yet? I put the Walton Fab setup in my 51 and man is it slick. So much better than under the floor. Mine stops on a dime now.

22. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

It's ready to go in. Have a shop remodel project to finish, then working on the '54.

Do you have modern heat / a/c? Trying to figure out what to do there..

23. I bought a set up from southern air and its OK. Have yet to install it. Doing carpet and redoing the shifter and such then the ac will go in. I would look at vintage air. Like I said I haven't put mine in yet. But its not near as nice as the vintage air unit I put in a friends car.

24. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

I'm sold on Vintage Air. Trying to sort out which unit so I don't end up with one on the shelf.

25. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

Had to take the '54 home and put it in the garage. I have a day job as well as a custom upholstery shop. Looks like I *might* have an opening in the shop schedule. If I do, I'm going to get some work done on the '54.

Thinking I'll go with the Limeworks column shifter. Lots to do, excited to get to work on this thing!

26. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

I'm itching to tear into this thing and get it together. It's "drivable" in town but not ready for prime time. In the mean time, I washed it off and drove to the shop this afternoon. I love it!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dyno Dave and The37Kid like this.
  27. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

Drove the car more over the weekend, until the freeze plug behind the driver side motor mount started leaking :/

Picked up a gasket kit and brass freeze plugs. It's gonna have to wait until I have time..

Been thinking a lot about the transmission.. i plan to drive the car daily and I know I need overdrive to enjoy it on longer drives. I had thought I'd go with a 700r4, but I just can't stand the thought of it after driving it this weekend. I want a manual. Doesn't look like there's a budget priced 5 speed option. Might be saving for a Tremec 5 speed..

28. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

A guy in town started a monthly cars and coffee event. Today was the second one. Met some of the local hot rod guys I’ve been waiting for a chance to cross paths. Of course that resulted in me pulling the 54 out of my storage. I have a day job and a custom upholstery shop. Not much time to work on personal stuff. Going to work on it two evenings a week as a form of self care.

[​IMG]

Starting with removing the mess in the trunk. Fuel tank is a nightmare as is everything around it.

[​IMG]

A decent start. Noodling ideas on how to get the plastic tank out. Suggestions and ideas welcome!

[​IMG]

The other side of the horrific speaker enclosure:

[​IMG]

Other interesting choices and work quality..

[​IMG]

This coming week I’ll get the tank out and start fabrication for mounting a ‘66 Mustang tank in its place.

chryslerfan55 and The37Kid like this.
  29. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

Simple mdf template to help layout the Mustang tank location. Had to replace my sewer line at the shop, so ‘54 patiently waits.

[​IMG]

30. Work4it

Work4it

Great looking ride! Hope to see it over here in Eastern Wa!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and slo-dat like this.