Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Car Your Mom Could Not Ride In On A Date

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trulyvintage, Mar 29, 2019.

1. In high school in the 60's my buddy had and early Econoline van. Went to pick up a girl he was going out with for the first time. He went in to pick her up and her dad got up, looked out the window. He reached in his pocket, threw him a set of keys and said "Here son, take my pickup. I'll keep an eye on the van for you until you bring her home." Don't remember if there was a second date.

2. patsurf

patsurf

even if that is just 'lore'-that's great!

3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or an Austin Healey, Don't ask me how I know!

wvenfield likes this.
  4. Terrible80

Terrible80

Or sitting up in your AD pickup!

5. Try rolling up at the young ladys parents house drive a custom van, the proverbial Bedroom on Wheels, It was not well received by her dad. :rolleyes: HRP

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    barryvanhook likes this.
  6. spanners

spanners

Nothing says 'no chance of a second date' like turning up in a Shaggin' Waggon (panel van).

7. I remember those neat old parking spots as a teenager.;)Even an old coupe, had enough room back then! When I was in high school. I had a girl to tell me that her dad wouldn't let her ride in a car with me, on a date. I also had a teacher to tell me in front of our class. That I'd never see my 21st birthday. In my senior class album, they predicted that I'd win the Indy 500 in the year 2,000. So I don't think it was as much of what I was driving, but maybe how I drove'em. I Wonder what old dad would have thought if I pull up on a date, with this. Lol :rolleyes: Ron.... 138.jpg { Always a Hot Rodder:rolleyes: }

8. 5window

5window

My mom drove a '48 Chrysler convertible. I don't want to know anything about what went on! My dad was a Navy fighter pilot (see avatar) and I wasn't born until 11 months after their wedding and I'm leaving it at that. :)

9. 5window

5window

These days, most of us couldn't get into the back seat of a Falcon Sprint by ourselves!

wicarnut likes this.
  10. 1929rats

1929rats

Not to long ago, when I graduated college in 1995, I bought an el camino as a daily driver. I went out with a very adventurous woman after college who I'd pickup up in either my hot rod or the el camino at her parents house....her parents liked the tan el camino as the hot rod was red, fast, and loud and had a backseat.......little did they know that I had a couple of pillows, a mattress, and a blanket under the tonneau cover in said el camino......We'd drive all over the place and park behind supermarkets, state parks, etc. and "enjoy" the bed of the elcamino under the stars.....as I said...this girl was quite adventurous and fearless - really. Anyway, a year or so I got a friend request from her on facebook. As I looked at all the pictures of her husband and family in their McMansion, my mind kept going back to that wonderful El Camino and the summer of '95! Today I still have an El Camino ---- and a girlfriend, but, a battery and fuel cell take the place where I once had that mattress.

wicarnut and 5window like this.
  11. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

PSHAW! I drove an a1962 Austin Healy Sprite in high school. I can tell you that if you are young and bendy enough IT is possible. Go ahead and ask. The statute of limitations has run out long ago. Hell, we even double dated in it.

BoilermakerDave likes this.
  12. For some reason, I have no memories of what my folks drove before I was 8 years old. But in '51 +/- they had a black Nash Airflyte like the one in post #2. I think it's etched into my brain because I thought it was so odd looking. I was filled with wonder when I first laid eyes on it. I wondered what were they thinking. It has to be seen in the context of the scope of all other cars of those times. Sort of like comparing Elenore Roosevelt to all other women.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    classiccarjack and jaw22w like this.
  13. I had a girlfriend with a ‘59 Rambler she called the Batmobile. We had all sorts of shenanigans in the back seat. Now that I think of it, I’ll bet the seats folded down into a bed and we didn’t even know!

Sometimes I wish I could turn back the clock...

classiccarjack, jazz1 and 5window like this.
  14. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Yes I could ! ! ! ! ! :D :D

LW

15. spanners

spanners

It was possible in the humble Morris Mini Cooper as well. Push the passenger seat forward, she sits on the back seat and.........well, use your imagination.

16. topher5150

topher5150

it's the 1950's shouldn't they be sleeping in separate cars?

wicarnut likes this.
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Ricky and Lucy did!

wicarnut likes this.
  18. ......and at least one foot on the floor at all times.....

19. 6sally6

6sally6

Had a navy buddy that absolutely LOVED "dating" in his Vee Dub "bug". "Get in the backseat....fold the two front seats forward....put your dates two feet thru the two hand hold straps and lay pipe until exhausted!" Sounded very interesting in 1968!!!
    6sally6

20. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Ok lets up the ante ...My folks are British and quite a few Summers in my teenage years I would fly back to the Uk to visit Family...My Uncle had a repair shop and a used car lot, I would always borrow a mini from him when I stayed there. Kinda pissed off my cousins because I could drive a car in England at 16 with my American drivers license , while they could only drive a moped or small motor bike:rolleyes: Anyhow ...the pass side front seat of a mini in its full rearward position and an agile young lady is very workable... although there might be some foot prints on the windshield...just sayin:D

21. farna

farna

AMC had fully reclining seats up until the last 1988 Eagle wagon was made, at least as an option.

22. southcross2631

southcross2631

Since my mom is 99 years old and my dad drove a 29 Ford roadster when they met and my mom's dad never owned a car or truck. He only had a team of horse's . She could ride in anything that ran during the depression.

23. The OP's nash is an original Sin Wagon. I usually drove a pickup truck. No biggie. we just threw a quilt on the hood.Not too long ago one of my old girldriends gave my wife a friends request on Facebook. I went with her years before I met my wife. hadnt seen her in 40 years No matter my wife still got mad at me.

classiccarjack likes this.
  24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^And is't that how it ALWAYS is Wolf?^^^^ My wife STILL gets upset about the "prior" girlfriend to her from 45 plus years ago, and she never knew or even met or saw her. We've been together 43 years, married for 33 years. A few years ago, I get a ClassMates.Com notification from you-know-who, and that lead up to a FaceBook.Com lookup. Well, the "prior" was only 4'-11" tall, and now she's almost the same side-to-side, and front-to-back. And, my wife is, once again, mad at me (?????). I married my WIFE, no-one else, and plan on keeping things that way. I know my wife better than she knows me, and if the "prior" and her WERE to ever meet, they'd probably wind up being the best of friends; but I still would't take that bet. As far as the Nash's and Rambler's go, " YOU SEE THIS NASH A-ROCKIN', DON'T COME KNOCKIN' ". My best friend in high school, his parents had a Rambler Station Wagon, with the reclining front seats. He sure talked the car up, but I'm not sure he actually saw any real action in it; kind of like my own Station Wagons and Sedan Deliveries. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

25. Been married over 46 years. And when I think of that former girlfriend. Im reminded of that song thank got for unanswered prayers. The old flame is now very fat & ugly. been married and divorced three times

26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^And how did I forget THAT^^^^; the "prior" has been married and divorced FIVE times, although she told me twice; amazing what you can find out online. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

27. Ha ... :D

Jim

28. Mike

Mike

When I was 17, I had an older girlfriend who drove a Fiat Spyder. We got down to business in the passenger seat of that little machine on many occasions, made the backseat of her Dad's Honda Accord seem downright roomy.

A couple of years later, another girlfriend had a Datsun B210. We parked and made use of the passenger seat in that car quite often.

Shortly after that, I moved out of my parent's house and into an apartment, so parking and getting busy in a car was no longer a necessity and became an occasional novelty.

29. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Not one gal ever liked my vintage cars....

But my OT Honda Civic and OT Mazda 323's both got more action than I care to admit! LOL

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. wisdonm

wisdonm

Never had a girl refuse to ride in my '54 Dodge with Shelby GT-350 style stripes, but they all said their parents questioned the red dome light.

And yes, Spridgets are doable.