Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Hard to fix stupid or ugly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pats55, Jun 14, 2019.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

The very first two times I did fiberglass work it itched like crazy. After that I could bathe in it and never bothered me again.

2. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make it fast for 2 reasons.
    1. People will only see your taillights.So, no need to improve the frontend.
    2. No one makes jokes about a car that just wipped his as. They'll go home with a hanging head and NO smartass comments

wraymen, dana barlow and Hnstray like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Ouch. So I now have air in a part of my brain ? :D I , personally can appreciate a man's ideas and work from a technical aspect b,nobody in their right mind appreciates a poor concept, an inferior part or a completed design that a majority doesn't think bar was raised.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

That would be a tough one to modify. Maybe an AMX type of front end on it or something. Jeez IDK.

Deuces likes this.
  5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Even the cars owner thinks the engineering design missed the mark . Only apt reply is :oops::rolleyes::D

6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Couple of grille bars in the center might help?

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Pat I think you just need to put on your creative hat and customize a more fluid design that would be pleasing to your eyes. Maybe you just need to kiss a frog to get a princess.:)

Deuces and dana barlow like this.
  8. The super minimalist front end has always been the trademark of the Advanti. In that sense, it doesn't need to be "fixed". But that doesn't mean it can't be modified or personalized. I'm trying to visualize this one with a pair of ol' school, amber foglights standing up or hanging down on the bumper. Back in the day, cars modified to be more "sporty" often got a light package.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the year 1962, anything that came out of the box running 168 mph doesn't need changing and the Avanti did just that. The 1962 Corvette's top end from the factory was 150. I don't see a lot of people changing Corvettes. Just saying.;)

Texas57, Rich S., Boneyard51 and 4 others like this.
  11. Looks cool Pat, isn't that the whole point of a custom, wow half the people piss off the other half? You could insert 65 imperial headlights in there.....or a 1974, 75 datsun pick up grille and lights :

.....paging Photoshop thread.....moose....to the white courtesy phone, moose.....

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Deuces likes this.
  12. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I like the four light look, it fills some of the flat front end, which is a odd look to it without a grill, like the early Corvair. Maybe add a couple or three stainless or chrome strips to imitate a grille, nothing gaudy, just slim and simple. A crest is a good idea for the center, too. At one time you could buy an accessory grill for the Corvair, if you could find a pic of one installed you'd have a visual on what I'm talking about.

Look at it this way, you could have screwed up and put four square headlights in, that would have really looked wonky!

Texas57 and loudbang like this.
  14. samurai mike

samurai mike

are you kidding? corvette has to be one of the most customized cars made. I was thinking about making a how to book called " stupid things to do to your corvette"

Hnstray likes this.
  15. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I remember seeing one when I was a kid , We still live in Milwaukee, so about 1964 or so . That would have made me nine. Compared to every thing else at the time it looked like some kind of space craft from the future like on the Jetsons! lol Back then we believed in the future and cool things like traveling in space . Sounded good to a nine year old that grew up to be a 64 year old that thinks most of our techno world today sucks. But I still think Avanti's are cool! lol And I think your custom touches look good to . Larry

16. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

I think a Plymouth SuperBird/Dodge Daytona winged car style front nose...although the AMX/Javelin-esque idea has some attraction too.
    Or maybe something Jag D-type inspired...or Volvo P1800

Pats55 likes this.
  17. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Avanti's have a place in history. Studebaker used a lark chassis and designed a fiberglass body to fit . Andy Granatelli made it haul ass at Bonneville. Do I like the styling? Nope , never been a fan. IMHO not much you can do to make it look better .

18. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

19. It's an improvement.

20. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Fab some clear covers for them, and I always thought Avantis needed some wider wheels and tires, to fill the wheel openings.

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  21. Avantis are ugly
    That’s what makes them cool
    Drive the wheels off of it
    Then weld em back on

22. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

OH! MY GAWD! THAT SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME WHEN I SEEN IT!
    (caps on for drama)

Pats55 likes this.
  23. Deuces

Deuces

Avanti means "forward" in Italian...

Stogy, kiwijeff, OLSKOOL57 and 2 others like this.
  24. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Thanks guys for some of the suggestions, some really neat. I could not really fix ugly I'm still working on stupid

Stogy and Deuces like this.
  25. catdad49

catdad49

My high school buddy Bruce's Uncle Gus bought a '63 Paxton Supercharged Avanti when they became available, one of three in All of New England! That Car will forever be burned into my brain. And I Don't Care!

26. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

27. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Low-budget you are a genius. You gotta be one of the smartest guys I know. Where the hell were you when I did the front end.

loudbang likes this.
  28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Thanks, but I only get lucky and have a moment every now and then that someone likes:D

Stogy and Deuces like this.
  29. birdman1

birdman1

the Avanti is so much better looking than any other sports car back then, even the corvette.
    I would leave it as it is, buetifull!!

30. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Yes, me too. I really like great designed cars,but some see it another way,they failed art,aero an history class,so to them the Avanti is missing a radiator cap.
    Still same guys, that don't care for the Avanti here likely can built some very cool hot rods.
    This will not help them any ,but good for a few,an fun read;
    https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/designing-the-fabulous-avanti/

Stogy and ClayMart like this.