Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New owner of Pete Magel's 1952 Stude "The Maggot"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Buffalobillmaggot, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Hi, i just bought Pete's car yesterday, in weathered but running condition. The previous owner got the w&h DuCoil distributor wired right, he said the last guy had the firing order wrong. The wiring has been gone thru, and supposedly the brakes have been rebuilt. Sounds cool, definetly impressive.

The headers have definitely seen better days im going to be welding and patching on them. Im also looking to replace the oil, water, and fuel pumps, along with sealing the extended, deep sump oil pan, and checking out the bottom end while im in there.

Anyone know where i can get a good 289 stude around western ny? I figure i could make it a little faster and still keep the correct look. IMG_20180929_120116.jpg

Hnstray and Stogy like this.
  2. Wasn’t there some controversy around the sale of that car a while back? I hope all is good now.

3. Like I wasn't gonna click this thread to see a car named ''The Maggot''!

Jet96, Hnstray, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  4. Sporty45

Sporty45

^^^ :p

Stogy likes this.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

6. The Maggot has a ton of history, was a national record holder, many many class wins racing at Niagara and Lancaster NY.

Peter lived on Bodine Rd. in Clarence and ran an auto repair facility on Saw Mill Rd. While he did some service work, his main source of income was the prize money he earned racing a 1952 Studebaker and a 1952 Hudson at various racetracks around the country. He was seldom, if ever, beaten at Lancaster, Niagara Falls, Cayuga, Ontario, Muncie and Indianapolis, IN, etc. tracks, with his racing confined to the Eastern U.S. and Canada. He placed as high as second in the "Nationals" at Indianapolis. As he had little money, he engineered and sometimes built his cars in his Clarence garage. Consequently, he was a crowd favorite as the working man's racer.

kidcampbell71, Hnstray, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  7. Looking at the maggot close, there's a lot of low buck modifications. The headers are brazed. The deep sump pan, is homemade. The front Springs have a bunch of spacers in them to increase the front ride height. There's a homemade traction bar on the right hand side it's about 5 feet long and made out of square aluminum tubing. But it has headers, 513 rear end gears, I guess I guess it has a bigger cam, and a w h dual coil distributor. I'd like to get the tachometer working, to see how high it revs up. It also has an aluminum flywheel. It's definitely a cool car, I was just going to spray and Clear coat to maintain what paint is left, and put new tires on it. Hopefully I can find a bigger V8.

kidcampbell71, Stogy and LOST ANGEL like this.
  8. footbrake

footbrake

I used to stop and talk with him at his Clarence garage every week while on my sales route in the 60's when I started bracket racing. He always had an idea he wanted me to try on my 64
    Chevelle. Most of the time they worked. He was a very smart man.

Buffalobillmaggot, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  9. raylloyd

raylloyd

Buffalobillmaggot likes this.
  10. IronMikeLorah

IronMikeLorah

My biggest regret is not buying this car when it was on CL. If I'd bought it, I would have kept the original drive train, but that's me. If you ever decide to sell (you'd be a moron to do so) I'll probably be the first to come knockin.

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I have been to Cayuga and Lancaster. A lot of modified and late model races at Lancaster. I believe the drag strip was between the stands and circle track at Lancaster ?

Stogy and LOST ANGEL like this.
  12. Still is, track is open under new owners ad is being updated. I also was in the market to buy the Maggot, always loved seeing it run.
    1_2_low_res.jpg 31949131_10155122027867202_4078527092042498048_n.jpg

13. Great to see this car again. I still remember my first time at Lancaster in the late 60's watching the maggot run.
    Keep the maggot alive!!!

Buffalobillmaggot, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  14. scan0001.jpg

Lancaster Dragway, 60's.

15. footbrake

footbrake

I think his brother raced a Hudson Hornet too, I remember it had TV rabbit ears on the roof.

Buffalobillmaggot, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  16. im keeping it Studebaker, but i can add another 100 hp at least with the 289 that im building. and while i have an evans aluminum single plane intake, im going to see what I can do with the period correct stromberg 2v and 232 intake.

the headers were hanging on by the paint, though, gotta weld up a new set..

17. itll be alive, as long as I can keep the t86 from exploding. i might have to swap to a stronger trans, i dont think these t86' are very good for beating on.

18. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

My 56 Studie Transtar has a 64 Canadian Daytona 259. Don't forget to look over the border. By the way if yer looking for a tow vehicle, head east in the Thruway for 140 miles or so.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  19. right now im just looking for the cheapest strong transmission i can put behind it, unfortunately all signs point to a gm auto with an adapter, as most cheap manuals arent in great shape, and they arent just laying around everywhere anymore....

i know where I can get a powerglide for 200 from a buddy that works fine....

LOST ANGEL and loudbang like this.