Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What would you pay for this 1941 dodge luxury liner?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Jun 12, 2019.

?
  1. $0-$2000

11 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. $2000-$4000

26 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. $4000-$6000

25 vote(s)
    37.9%
  4. $6000+

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Always > Chevy and > Ford ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Squablow

Squablow

Rock solid 3W coupe, with old paint that looks like it'd clean up decent, same for the chrome and wide whitewall tires, looks complete, good glass, I think that's a pretty good asking price. I'd grab the fan and try to turn the engine by the belts. If it turns over smoothly, it'll run. Often it's just a matter of points getting corroded or old gas gumming up the works on a car like this. I'm not a huge fan of the grille, but I'm also a customizer. Imagine this car with a '41 Buick grille swapped in, but everything else the same. Beautiful.

[​IMG]

Keep in mind also, the HAMB has been getting famous for lowballers. Check out any "what is this worth" thread and judge for yourself.

Would I offer less? Sure, you gotta play the game, and the guy hasn't sold it yet so it might be a walk away but leave your number type game as mentioned earlier. But that seems like a really nice car to start with.

3. Do your research, see what else is similar in the same price range. it seems you are open to other brands anyhow.
    Would you pay this much for a running car in similar condition?

If you had your heart set on a particular model, that Chevy, See what the running version or even the similar condition version goes for and compare.
    I you wanted that to begin with, you should sit this one out and save for the next one that fits the bill.

I like these Mopar bodies but the lack of the rear seat kills it for me. Even with the 41 Plymouth coupes you have to make sure there is a rear seat.

65pacecar likes this.
  4. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

That coupe will probably be for sale for a while, so you have time to ponder. I would say don't buy it to flip....

Hnstray likes this.
  5. Mopar guys will love it. The rest of us? Not so much.
    If you buy it, don't bust the lug nuts off, it has some left hand threaded ones.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  6. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

I like it. "Not desireable" - Yeah, it is not a freakin' 32 Ford or, a 40's Merc. It is even better because there are not 1o million of them ! It can still make a great hot rod!

chopped, Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If you are going to flip it. Then you should know what it is worth rather than asking if you should buy it. Other wise you are going to make some expensive mistakes. Scan0073.jpg Scan0074.jpg

mgtstumpy, Deuces and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Dirk35

Dirk35

Because you asked; I would pay $0 for it because I don't want it.

You didn't ask if we think that car is worth the $6k asking price. You also stated "I have always wanted a Chevy business coupe 1940-1941 or so.".

Now, I'm confused. I don't understand why you are considering something you really don't want. Save your money, time, effort for something you do want.

Hope this helps.

Cosmo49, Hnstray and WiredSpider like this.
  9. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not familiar with a 41 Chevy Business Coupe and Google hasn't improved my ignorance - not trying to be a smartass - really! However I do have a 41 Chevy Special Deluxe Coupe which looks identical to 41 Chevy Business Coupes coming up in a Google search! So I'm going to make the assumption that they're the same. That being the case whilst there's a similarity with the Dodge they are very different, well they are in my eyes! The 3w coupe style of the Dodge is very different from the swoopy 5w style of the Chevy. The Chevy, well my Chevy, has a very usable rear seat (one of the main reasons I got it) but the Dodge has no scope for a rear seat, but I'm quite taken with how it looks! I won't be changing though, but if you like it you should go for it - from a bodystyle / shape perspective I think it's great. I have no badge loyalty or preconceptions (says he with 2 32 Fords, ha ha).

Chris

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

It won't sell any faster for you than it is for him. I think with this car you have the luxury of waiting for a couple of weeks to get over the "I have to have it" syndrome. After two weeks if you want great.

56don, WiredSpider and Hnstray like this.
  11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

one thing I learned the hard way is if you buy an old Mopar you better be prepared to keep it 30 years.

12. chstitans42

chstitans42

I had that bad. I am going to wait at least till the weekend. Guy plays the normal sellers tricks like " I have others interested and There is another guy coming after you etc. If it sells it sells, Id like to grab it for $4000-$4500

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Check out putting a Desoto's front sheetmetal on it......thats my plan...

Deuces likes this.
  15. Gman0046

Gman0046

Its not my cup of tea. I wouldn't give anything for it. It costs and takes as much time and money to build an ugly car.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you get it...put a KB in it....

17. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Current Old Cars Report Price Guide values for '41 Dodge coupe
    1. $26,800
    2. $18,760
    3. $12,060
    4. $ 5,360
    5. $ 3,220
    6. $ 1,070

This '41 Chevy coupe sold on the HAMB this week for under $8,000
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/sold-1941-chevy-283-4spd.1110640/#post-13099710
    Cars like the Chevy pop up on the HAMB all the time for very good prices. If a '40-'41 Chevy is what you really want, my advice is to not "settle" for something else.

48fordnut and Chili Phil like this.
  18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Keep looking,don’t settle for a car you’re not crazy about.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  19. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Make, model, and year of manufacture does not mean a thing, you can change all of the above, to suit yourself and build something that is desired by many. If you only buy for the re-sale value start a use car lot filled with 57 Chevys and 32 Fords. If you want to enter the world of hot rods and customs buy what you like and build it your way, who cares what others will think. Build it right, make the right changes, follow the engineering principles of "form, fit and function" and you will achieve a vehicle that many will desire. So if you like it and can afford it and have the skills to build it your way, buy it.

20. chstitans42

chstitans42

Thanks for all the input guys. Ill give the guy a few days and let my excitement go down a little

21. Flim Flam Man

Flim Flam Man
    from Oklahoma

Looks like its been sold.

Did you get it?

22. chstitans42

chstitans42

Sold yesterday. Someone else got it I guess.

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@chstitans42 Be Thankful. You can now focus on the '41 Chevy/GM A body coupe you really want...;)

Cosmo49 and arkiehotrods like this.
  24. alchemy

alchemy

You dodged a lead bullet.

Cosmo49 and nochop like this.
  25. chstitans42

chstitans42

Dodged a Dodge?:D

Cosmo49 and nochop like this.
  26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

So he was telling the truth.

27. Jamoke

Jamoke

The Uncommon cars are becoming very popular Mopars will always bring a little bit more money and not many of these built
    Out of 22,318 Coupes only 4,294 were 3 Window Coupes.

Flim Flam Man likes this.
  28. Jamoke

Jamoke

29. Squablow

Squablow

"That thing will be for sale forever, he'll never get that kind of money, I wouldn't pay more than 2 grand for that thing, don't buy it unless you're prepared to keep it forever" they said.

65pacecar and Flim Flam Man like this.
  30. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

For all you people who say this year car is ugly.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is one without the cat/dog shit color combo.....

alanp561, j hansen, Squablow and 3 others like this.