Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 Ford pickup finally got it home and pictures pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by joel, Jul 19, 2017.

1. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope to get this thread rolling this fall, but here is a little preview. I'm driving the truck locally and looking for parts and info. Here is the plan so far: I bought a 3 speed O/D trans because of a lead from a Hamber. Ford truck toploader RTS and I have a bellhousing adapter coming from Gene Sanders in a week or two. I have 2 flatheads and will use one; I'm not sure which yet.
    I'm leaning toward connecting the trans to the torque tube rear that's in the truck. Sanders makes some parts to do this. I've read some stuff here and on the Ford Barn, about doing this, that sounds like what I want to do.
    Driving my truck has made me think that, after everything was fixed, it would still need a better trans.

Thor1, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 504640

Please tell us how that performs, Joel! I am planning the same!

Thor1, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Any more info on Gene Sanders and what he has available?

Thor1 and 504640 like this.
  4. 504640

I am interested in hotrodA's request as well, Joel!

Thor1 likes this.
  5. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I am looking forward to your transmission project Joel.

Thor1 and 504640 like this.
  6. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll probably not have any info on that until fall. I messed with the 94 on the truck now and it actually works pretty well. If I take the intake off I'll find something I need to fix and then it will snowball into something I can't deal with now.:(

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  7. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sanders mentioned something about the rear main shaft diameter in SOME transmissions being large enough to have splines cut to match the early universal joint. He makes the rear bearing retainer that you need to replace the tailshaft housing. After Louisville, I should get some time to measure and mock up my parts; then I'll have some dimensions.

8. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am anxious to get started also; I like the mechanical stuff way more than body and paint. I bought seat springs from Synders and a seat base from a guy in the Carolinas, so when I get the coupe upholstery done, I'll get the truck seat in line to get done.

9. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One more little tease. This is the new trans for the truck. It took 3 Gunk applications followed by the power washer, but it's clean enough to open for inspection. It goes into all gears smoothly. IMG_1236.jpg

10. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

What trans is this??

11. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The trans is a Ford Borg Warner 3sp plus O/D and is synchro in all forward gears. It was used in Ford F150s from 84 to 87. http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/TremecT170FT.htm.
    I have seen info that says they were used behind v8s also. There are a couple of other configurations used in cars with side side shift Top loader cases.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  12. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I am watching with interest Joel. My Mercury 3 speed overdrive in my 40 coupe is broken.First and second are making a clunking noise. So it has to come out for repairs and I am seriously considering an S10 5 speed swap. Your transmission also has me thinking about other choices.

Thor1, loudbang and das858 like this.
  13. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The T5 is a good choice and more available I think. After riding with a friend in his 276 FH powered roadster, I realized the T5 was the single best performance improvement that you can do to a FH V8.
    when I acquired my truck, I was thinking I could add a Columbia ( which I already had) and get similar results. After driving around locally for a couple of years, I think you can't beat having all the gearing changes in the trans. The cherry on top is the synchro 1st gear.

dirty old man, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  14. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Joel.Very nice Sir.Will be reading the whole thread when I get more time.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

15. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't think I'd get much time to work on this project; I thought I'd be going places and seeing thing in my coupe. I'm in line to get the trunk upholstered, but that's about it.
    My son is off work until the end of April and he has caught up on on home projects, so, he's going to give me a hand.
    IMG_1440.JPG IMG_1439.JPG
    I have an extra frame from a convert. project . It's pretty rusted, but fairly straight and I used it for a jig to attach the extensions to the front of the floor pan. I had to buy a second wood kit so everything sat where it is supposed to. My truck cab is held on with 4 bolts at present instead of 8. The plan is to cut out whats left of the old floor and drop the cab on the new one. The lower door hinge supports are in bad shape and the floor must be in place to get them right...... I think.
    IMG_1441.JPG IMG_1442.JPG
    I moved the frame onto a home made rotisserie to mock up the stock engine/ trans and get some measurements. I have a Model Engineering adapter for the T170 transmission that I plan to install while the cab is off. Tommorrow I'm going to look for the mount biscuits for the eng. and trans. I put them away last spring so I wouldn't lose them.......right.

16. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

17. Nice so far!

Do you have contact info for Model Engineering? Is that MEC?

18. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, MEC is Model Engineering I have a phone number and maybe an address. I'll look it up tommorrow.

19. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I decided to trim the "torque box" to see if it would be possible to retain the stock wishbone mount and if the the strength could be retained. So far it looks like it will.
    IMG_1443.JPG
    First cut.
    IMG_1444.JPG
    second cut and, after putting the trans. in , I can tell it's going to work. There are strength ribs on the tailshaft housing that are hitting the frame.
    IMG_1445.JPG
    I made another cut and trimmed a piece of 18 ga. to cover the hole. This represents the repair I plan to do ,but out of 11 or 12ga. The last picture is the trans. in place and clearance everywhere...Barely!
    IMG_1447 - Copy.JPG
    You might see the digital level sitting on the block; that is how I know the trans is in the right place. (it's the same reading now as it was with the stock trans . Previous post. Tomorrow I can make the trans mount bracket. It will just clear the wishbone socket. I should be able to get a new trans biscuit at the parts store. I'll post some better pix. BTW I saved the stock trans mount ,if anyone needs one.

Attached Files:

20. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Nice work Joel!

Thor1, greaser and loudbang like this.
  21. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Update.
    IMG_1456.JPG
    The floorpan as it will sit when the cab is on. Looks good; I am looking for a shifter stick.
    IMG_1457.JPG
    Finally got the torque box removed. The torched pieces are on the floor, but I tried to save the rivit holes for alignment of the new trans mount plates.
    IMG_1458.JPG
    IMG_1459.JPG IMG_1463.JPG Wood block to temporarily position trans. I am going to open drive banjo rear end and I may need to move tailshaft up or down to get the proper U-joint operating angles. I bought the stuff from Hot Rod Works; it should be here in 4 or 5 days.

22. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got the open drive kit from HRW Monday. I'm working on moving the rear of the trans up and the pinion angle down a little to get good operating angles for the driveshaft U-joints.
    IMG_1464.JPG
    There appears to be interference between the wishbone mounting plate and the torque box replacement bottom plate. I may have some trimming to do.
    IMG_1465.JPG
    test fit of pinion yoke to check angles. I have C clamps to hold the rear spring because I don't have a spare st of U bolts. The ratchet straps set ride height.

23. Mart

Mart

Looking good. I like that the upper central part of the X member gets braced properly side to side.

24. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, Mart. I don't believe bolts are as good as rivits, but that's about the only drawback I can see. IMG_1470.jpg
    I'm moving the trans mount thickness up and down and shimming the wishbone mount to find the best U-joint operating angle and to get them to match. I'm going to change the axles to late model with MT products Lincoln style brakes. I have the banjo from the truck sold to a friend. I'll use the bells from the mock up rear and sell the left over parts.

25. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I picked up a slip yoke from a local driveshaft shop and measured for the shaft length. The trans sits on urethane mount for a 71 Mustang plus a 1/8" shim. The rear pinion is tilted up 2 deg. The operating angles of the U joints are 3.4 rear and 3.5 front.
    I didn't get any pix of tearing the rear end apart, but I can say it was nasty. I cleaned up the bells and they are almost ready to be machined.

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work, following along Joel

27. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for following. I should get the parts from HRW today and I plan to show the assembly in detail.
    Next is locating the cup for the stock wishbone mount.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im pretty sure I saw one on our classifieds last night while I was waiting time and money. I'll go back a nd look for it.

29. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

I think your making a mistake using that trans, if I were you I'd probably give it away, my address is .......... Just kiddin, nice job setting it up, been thinking about doing same in my 39.

30. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Joel are you looking for the cup that bolts to the bottom of x member box or the socket in the box? I think I have a spare cup .