Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Removing the inner fenders on a 55 Chevy

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mr. Sinister, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Hey guys, I'm looking to remove the inner fenders on my 55 to make way for some fenderwell headers. I understand I can cut openings for the headers, but they also look like hell and would need to come out to get blasted and painted anyway if I were to retain them.
    The process looks pretty straightforward, but is there anything I need to be wary of? Will I need to add any bracing or anything like that? It's a street car, so it does get driven a lot. I know I'll be spending a lot more time cleaning the engine bay. Looks like I'll need to do one side at a time up front at the core support since they bolt through the inner fender, but other than that it looks like an easy job. Thanks gents!!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. loudbang

loudbang

A guy at my school way back did it and had no problems. The only thing to pay attention to is at the back bottom of the fender by the door. Replace the old bolts or make sure that area is firm with no rust as it receives a lot of the vibration and forces.

3. Good tip, I'll make sure it's all solid down there. It appears to be both inside and out.

loudbang likes this.
  4. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I second this!! It is a must do.

5. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a matter of preference, and pretty straightforward. I'm debating on the same thing on my '56, but I'm leaning towards leaving them in and cutting them out for the headers. The inner fenders really stiffen the long leg behind the wheel opening and helps keep the contour of the body, it helps eliminate fender vibrations and "ash canning" too. JMHO

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Phil55Kratz and loudbang like this.
  6. Yeah I'd prefer my front end not fold up. Many cars gave their parts to make mine whole, I'd be doing them a disservice!! :D

loudbang likes this.
  7. Im planning on installing a tin indian mill in my 55 wagon. And will have to fab the hedders. and fender well hedders seems the best option.. So I was thinking of doing the same thing just remove the inner fenders. ive never done it before.

loudbang likes this.
  8. My only real concern is shaking the front end apart. These roads out here are getting worse and worse, and I'm worried about the added support the inner fenders gave (if they give any).

loudbang likes this.
  9. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you may have solved your own dilemma my friend

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Mr. Sinister and loudbang like this.
  10. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

I can vouch that it works ok up to 130 mph on the drag strip.
    Pete

11. I ran without them for 25 years, no problems. ol '55.jpg

12. I think I’ll just chop them to make room instead of removing. Thanks fellas.

loudbang likes this.
  13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

BEFORE you cut them up, find some stockers to replace them with when the time comes, and it will. Possibly, long after you're done with the car. Like I always tell people, "they're NOT making them anymore!", and replacement, Chinese made parts, SUCK! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

Unbolt your front clip and get some help to lift it off in one piece put your headers on and measure for your cuts and cut them off the car. That way you can clean the chassis fix the fenderwells and reinstall it all in one piece. The lower bolt holes on the fenders usually need fixed or replaced anyway. Be sure to mark and save all off the body shims.
    That's just me doing it because I have found that short cuts usually makes a project look like it was hacked on . Your car though, good luck.

31hotrodguy and Mr. Sinister like this.
  15. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

What color are they?

loudbang likes this.
  16. Good tips guys, thanks.

They are black, but the paint isn’t too hot.

loudbang likes this.
  17. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

try to leave as much as possible. wet roads really make a mess of the engine bay without them.

Mr. Sinister likes this.