Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Runs but timing at 30 advanced - solved

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5brown1, Nov 21, 2018.

1. I kinda agree with bad banana. Ive seen lots of rebuilt & modified engines put together from mismatched parts that where too souped up to run properly.

2. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I built a OT 302 for my '51 Ford sedan and used and an Edelbrock cam during the build. When doing the start-up and tuning, the engine ran like pure ole crap using the factory timing spec. of 6 degrees. I happened to re-read the paperwork that came with the cam (duh!) and found that it should have been timed to 16-20 degrees. Re-set the timing and it runs like a top.
    Could your cam call for different timing than stock? You might just be chasing a problem that doesn't exist.

Paul likes this.
  3. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

So.. its been a couple months. Did the distributor fix it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. 5brown1

5brown1

I cannot answer that with certainty at this time. I have removed the HEI distributor and shimmed the original back
    to spec. It is in the car and I did have it running briefly - the timing seemed good. When I did get it running I found that the carb float at some point had partially filled with fuel causing flooding. So I replaced that and am waiting for spring so I can get it out on the road . It is -14 degrees and here and seems to snow every couple days.
    I have not forgotten about the thread and will follow up as soon as I know for sure. Think Spring.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  5. 5brown1

5brown1

Well finally the snow is gone and the rains with the resulting mud have stopped. So I finally got the car out for a test drive yesterday. The initial timing is set to about 10 degrees advanced and it runs well.
    So, apparently it was the Pertronix HEI distributor which was the cause of the timing issues. I also replaced the
    Pertronix Flame Thrower coil. Anyone have any thoughts on how?
    It is irritating that the new $450+ distributor was the issue.

6. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Call Pertronix and discuss with them about your problem
    They have helped me in the past .

7. 5brown1

5brown1

Pertronix says this is a custom distributor because it was modified by a vendor to fit Studebaker V8s and they
    don't want to warranty it.

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

So this is a custom distributor . They did start out with a counterclockwise unit? Grab the rotor and see if it will move a few degrees CC not clockwise.