Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods V8 on a Model T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Edwin2350, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Edwin2350

Edwin2350

Hey everyone, I just got a 27 model T coupe and I will be boxing the frame in the next couple of days. My question is, what do I need to do to the firewall in order to put a V8? Should I cut it out or replace the firewall? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. XXL__

XXL__

You're going to need a tape measure and we're going to need more information. What V8, front suspension, etc? Also, use the Search function and plan on a LOT of reading.

lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  3. Edwin2350

Edwin2350

I'm going to use a 350 and my front suspension has an I Beam axel with four bars, 2 on each side.

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I cut my original firewall out and reversed it and added a strip of sheet metal about 2" wide around the sides.
    However do the maths first.
    I also put a sheet metal roof infill in.

Attached Files:

Als27T likes this.

5. Luv the “tall” Model T’s

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. Edwin2350

Edwin2350

I like your idea. Thanks for the pictures.

7. Edwin2350

Edwin2350

8. Even boxed a Model T frame isn't much; plus the front crossmember is not very suitable for anything. I would think this would be the time to step up to a tube frame or if original Ford rails are desired; start with an A frame.

F-ONE, samurai mike, sunbeam and 2 others like this.
  9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

What Rich B said.

sunbeam and Als27T like this.
  10. raven

raven

I’d be the first to suggest using an A frame (well I wasn’t the first to say it), that being said, you can use the T frame without issues if you properly address it’s shortcomings. Box it, make some strong cross members and address how you want to mount the front end (model A cross member?). Surprisingly there are some fast cars out there that are using the modified T frame with issues. Here on the Hamb, there is a thread about an old A roadster race car that ran a cammer SOHC motor and was using a T frame. I’m running a modified T frame and running mid tens at the strip and drive the car all over on the street. It can be done.
    You can use the stock firewall without mods but you’ll have to extend the wheel base to accomplish it. If you’re using a T or an A frame you’ll need to make accommodations for your power plant at the firewall.
    r

11. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

This was for a 350 but on a 32 frame. All I needed was a little clearance for the dist. DSCN1134.JPG

12. Stock frame is 92 years old.Is that really a starting point? I would use a repo of some kind,or build a tube frame.If its going to be fenderless you could increase the length by a couple inches which would make fitting a 350 that much easier.Dont know how tall you are,but recessed firewalls eat up leg room.

Als27T likes this.
  13. What you do with your firewall depends on what you use for a motor and how it is mounted. If it were me I would carefully cut the firewall out then set the motor and rebuild the firewall around the motor. It is not likely you will use very much of the original firewall if any of it at all.

14. My 27 Modified is on a boxed, pinched and Zeed 21TT frame and the firewall is stock but the hood is 15” longer than stock. It is running a 347 Pontiac.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. What porknbeaner said

16. Edwin2350

Edwin2350

Thanks everyone for the advice. I still think I'm going to box it Even though most of you are saying it's a bad idea. If the frame cracks, I'll let everyone know. I'm going with a 5.7 and a th400 with a 9 inch differential. I will also cut the firewall a little to get things to fit. The worst that can happen is that the frame will break. I'll start a build thread once I'm done with my 75 k5. Peace out people.

Edwin